Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Madrid: private English academies

Options
  • 25-06-2013 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hi all, looking for some info from teachers in Madrid. I know there is the tefl thread but it seems more geared towards maddeas which I'm not interested in.

I'm currently in Barcelona, been teaching for three years full time and I'm starting to get itchy feet. I was wondering what are peoples opinions of Madrid? I've visited before and loved it but to live and work is obviously a very different experience.

I would like to get into a private academy, do 30 block hours a week and no privates. Pretty much what everyone wants! I've got good experience putting students through the Cambridge exams which is obviously a bonus. Does anyone know of good schools that are looking for staff or any ideas where to look apart from loquo?

Or does anyone have any good advice that I should take on board before deciding if Madrid is as good as it sounds, I expect it to be more expensive for some things than Barcelona, but guessing it should be quite similar overall in prices but with a much warmer group of locals and probably less people floating through for a year or two. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭chippers

kingofburt wrote: »
    Hi all, looking for some info from teachers in Madrid. I know there is the tefl thread but it seems more geared towards maddeas which I'm not interested in.

I'm currently in Barcelona, been teaching for three years full time and I'm starting to get itchy feet. I was wondering what are peoples opinions of Madrid? I've visited before and loved it but to live and work is obviously a very different experience.

I would like to get into a private academy, do 30 block hours a week and no privates. Pretty much what everyone wants! I've got good experience putting students through the Cambridge exams which is obviously a bonus. Does anyone know of good schools that are looking for staff or any ideas where to look apart from loquo?

Or does anyone have any good advice that I should take on board before deciding if Madrid is as good as it sounds, I expect it to be more expensive for some things than Barcelona, but guessing it should be quite similar overall in prices but with a much warmer group of locals and probably less people floating through for a year or two. Thanks in advance.

Madrid's a quality place to live. I'd imagine prices here are similar enough to Barcelona. Sounds like you have good experience and you should be fine for getting work. This website often advertises positions http://www.lingobongo.com/madrid/jobs-ads.php

• Registered Users Posts: 39 woodstock1708

You should check out www.madridteacher.com

I lived in Madrid for six years and had my own teaching business, as well as working at Instituto Internacional (very good) and Enforex/Kaplan (terrible).

Madrid is an amazing city, but I think people are really starting to feel the crisis, and that may affect how academies are hiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

You should check out www.madridteacher.com

I lived in Madrid for six years and had my own teaching business, as well as working at Instituto Internacional (very good) and Enforex/Kaplan (terrible).

Madrid is an amazing city, but I think people are really starting to feel the crisis, and that may affect how academies are hiring.

Cheers for this! Did you have a CELT or a CELTA when you applied initially?

Cheers,
    M

Advertisement