Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wipe laptop

Options
  • 25-06-2013 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭

hi, my laptop is 6 years old and running on its last legs. its gone very slow and finicky. i dont use it for web browsing much anymore so dont want to fork out on a new one just to have a free hard drive for downloads.
    im looking to wipe everything off it and start from scratch with the vista cd.
    i have everything i need backed up but have no idea how to go about clearing it. im pretty clueless when it comes to this sort of thing so looking for advise on how to do it.
    a google search just confused me even more:eek:
    any help appreciated.
    thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Try installing a Linux OS on it, just to see how it works. Usually way faster than a Windows OS, especially Vista. The act of installing will also wipe the drive as it formats it before installing the new OS.
    Alternatively you could download a live Linux OS called Parted Magic, burn it to cd or usb flash drive and boot from that, using the utility called GParted to wipe your hard drive clean before re-installing Vista.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

red boot from the Vista CD and install from here, you'll get the option to format the drive during the install process.

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

The first reply is double dutch to me lol.
    uch wrote: »
    red boot from the Vista CD and install from here, you'll get the option to format the drive during the install process.

So just insert the cd and install it?
    Forgive my ignorance but i really am clueless when it comes to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,464 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

yeah basically, just install the disk and during the install it will give the option to format the drive which wipes everything

Skerries wrote: »
    yeah basically, just install the disk and during the install it will give the option to format the drive which wipes everything
    its just finished and i never got an option to format anything. everything is the same as it was, programs and files are still on it. i was asked about a custom install, should i have done that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭mcw92

Yes you should have selected 'Custom(advanced' install

Boot into the Disk again.
    Then accept and ok everything until you get 'what type of installation do you want', click custom.
    Next, you might have more than one partition on this, if you want everything gone, click each one and then 'delete'.
    You should now be left with one hard drive partition.. Click new for a new partition.
    Select it and then hit next. Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

.red. wrote: »
    its just finished and i never got an option to format anything. everything is the same as it was, programs and files are still on it. i was asked about a custom install, should i have done that?

sorry red should have said use the custom install option, then you format the drive at the drive options selection page

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭HelpWithIT

Google (your laptop name and model) Factory restore and you will get your info from maufactureres site
    What name and model of laptop

HelpWithIT wrote: »
    Google (your laptop name and model) Factory restore and you will get your info from maufactureres site
    What name and model of laptop
    Cheers for all the replies. Ill have another go tonight or tomorrow.

Its a dell inspiron 6400.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Also worth going to the Dell website and downloading vista drivers specifically for that laptop. You should be able to find them under the home user/ support downloads section on the site. You get an option to enter your Dell laptop serviceID from the back of the laptop and it takes you to the specific support section for your laptop.
    http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/ie/en/iedhs1/DriversHome/ShowProductSelector
    or by model
    http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/ie/en/iedhs1/Product/inspiron-6400x
    There are a few confusing options for chipset/audio/video/network cards varieties so it is useful if you can determine beforehand exactly which components are installed.
    You can do this if the laptop is still unwiped from the ComputerManagement/DeviceManager from the Control panel.
    Expand and make a note of the Display, network, modem, sound and system devices.

After Vista install, check same place and see which sections here have problems highlighted, then install that driver, usually video or system/motherboard drivers first.

It can all be very simple, or frustratingly annoying if some drivers dont work or cant be found. Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭HelpWithIT

Restart the laptop and keep pressing F8 key then choose repair your computer just bottom them when you have put in your password choose Dell factory restore and just follow the prompts

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

.red. wrote: »
    Cheers for all the replies. Ill have another go tonight or tomorrow.

Its a dell inspiron 6400.
    I put Ubuntu onto my Inspiron 6000 and it works faster than it ever did. It's really easy to do too. Their website explains how to install it or there's loads of youtube videos to walk you through it.

Advertisement