Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant looking to reach a smoke alarm

Options
  • 25-06-2013 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

I've been renting an apt for over three years, last night the battery in one of the smoke alarms started to go so it's been beeping every 20 seconds......my problem is that the ceilings are about 20 foot high.....is it up to me to get a ladder sorted or should I call the mgt company?

Don't get me wrong, it's only a battery and obviously don't want to waste anyone's time needlessly but the beep is killing me.....I'd rent a ladder happily if you kow where I could get one in South Dublin!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

If they are indeed 20 feet high then Yes you should organise some help. Generally if, when perched on a ladder, you are over 6 feet* from the ground extra safety precautions should be used. Therefore it is appropriate to contact whoever maintains the property.

*that is a rule of thumb from my last workplace, who were very safety conscious, rather than a hard law.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I certainly would not be comfortable climbing on a ladder that high (if I even had one which I dont). The management company most likely have a handyman who will come out to sort it for you; give them a call and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Ardeehey

Unfortunately as it's not the alarm that's linked to the main system it's up to me to change...oh well, looks like I'll be swinging liek a monkey from the rafters!!!

Thanks for replies

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Give the landlord a call and see if they have someone who might call over for you? In my case its the letting agent Id be calling first about something like this, not the complex management agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

djimi wrote: »
    Give the landlord a call and see if they have someone who might call over for you? In my case its the letting agent Id be calling first about something like this, not the complex management agent.

As above, the landlord or letting agent should be contacted. It is unreasonale to expect you to do this if you are not comfortable with it as it is quite high. Any employee would be given training to do this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

A battery powered smoke alarm is not legal. Multi-unit dwellings must contain a mains-wired smoke alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

A battery powered smoke alarm is not legal. Multi-unit dwellings must contain a mains-wired smoke alarm.

:confused: theres nothing stopping someone installing their own battery powered alarms internally if they wish ...

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Ardeehey

luckily had the electrician over this morning (different reason completely) and he had an A frame ladder large enough to reach it so all sorted. In terms of legalities it's right that building codes say it should be a centrally wired system but when these were built around 2000 that wasn't the case, they were just fitted with cetral heat sensors. All sorted now thankfully!

Advertisement