Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Security Scanbaiting

Options
  • 25-06-2013 3:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭

I am involved in scambaitng .Do you know what are the risks to your PC .
    The scambaiting websites suggest as long as your firewall and antivirus are up to date risks are minimal.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

atkin wrote: »
    I am involved in scambaitng .Do you know what are the risks to your PC .
    The scambaiting websites suggest as long as your firewall and antivirus are up to date risks are minimal.

Would you not figure out the risks before you get involved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭atkin

syklops wrote: »
    Would you not figure out the risks before you get involved?

Well you never know what surprises are around the corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

atkin wrote: »
    Well you never know what surprises are around the corner.

Firewall the bejaysus out of your computer.
    Do all your scam baiting on a virtual machine which you reset at the start of every session. Use tor.
    Always check everything you type for typos.
    It shouldn't need to be said, but if using windows use some form of AV/anti-malware.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Godspeed, fair warrior!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Check this site out for hints on what to do

http://www.419eater.com/

If you are really going to get into scambaiting it's a good idea to join this site, They have mentoring for newbs and i personally love the fake forms they have that you can send to scammers.

• Advertisement

http://www.419thenigerianscam.com/site/

There is an African Film Festival attended by Nigerians in my town .
    I should recommend it .
    Not at all surprised if you don't see a movie on this in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Best to run all of this on a cheap VPS.

Or if you are going to do it on your own system at least use a locked down VM with no personal data on it.
    But still remember you can still be traced back to your internet connection.

Edit:
    Also find it funny somebody that was Banned for Spamming is starting to get "involved in scambaitng". :pac:

Best to run all of this on a cheap VPS.

Or if you are going to do it on your own system at least use a locked down VM with no personal data on it.
    But still remember you can still be traced back to your internet connection.

Edit:
    Also find it funny somebody that was Banned for Spamming is starting to get "involved in scambaitng". :pac:

Scam and spam are spelt different and have two different meanings.
    Nice to know I have a fan who is watching me.
    Surpression creates spam on this these forums.
    I have moved on from scambaiting . I enjoyed the experience learning more about PC security,photo editing and scammers.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tbh, scambaiting has nada to do with computer security unless you're worried about getting virus/blah via e-mails.

biko wrote: »
    Tbh, scambaiting has nada to do with computer security unless you're worried about getting virus/blah via e-mails.

Well it leads to PC security .

• Advertisement
Advertisement