Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

killiney beach

Options
  • 25-06-2013 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,540 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

living just beside the beach and want to start fishing there in the evenings but i have no kit.

without breaking the bank, what type kit would people advise me to get, and where is the beat place to get it.

would you better with spinners or flats, etc.

any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

A decent beach casting rod, good reel, 25lb line, some 6oz weights, size 0/5-0/6 hooks, some mackerel for bait and away you go!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

gumbo1 wrote: »
    A decent beach casting rod, good reel, 25lb line, some 6oz weights, size 0/5-0/6 hooks, some mackerel for bait and away you go!!!

I have no idea of what that beach is like but if you need 6/0 hooks and 25lb line i wouldnt be going there to learn how to fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,540 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It's a stoney beach with a good slope and a shore dump. About 4 feet out is 6 ft deep.

I've fished plenty of times but never with my own gear. My grandad was a commercial salmon fisher and eel fisher.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭dbrock

fish it with a 10 or 12/13 foot beach caster straight out from the car park coming into the evening anything over 40,50 yards will catch you whiting, odd codling, dogfish, best bait ive found generally for everything is a rag tipped with mackeral on a size,1 1/0 hook, you will only need 15lb main line and a shockleader of course for casting/ you can get smooth hounds and ray at distance although i have only ever had 2 ray of the beech ever, best bait for smoothhounds are crab fished on a rising tide into darkness, plenty of flounder to be had in close to

you could try out from the ruins of the the t room for cod,wrasse pollock and occasional bass although its very snaggy here so i recomend you use a decent 30lb mono straight through and go easy on the casting as most fish 50 yards or so here

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭josip

Mike's Bikes on Patrick St. in Dun Laoghaire have gear. I don't know if they're any good or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

If you can put up how much max you want to spend then i can figure out how to get the best possible tackle to get you started.

Also what height/build are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

ted go down to Eddie Rowe in Dun laoghaire angling on Patrick Street, he'll fill you in on what you'll need and he's an angler himself so if you tell him you want cheaper gear he'll be only too happy top recommend stuff, he's a top sea angler so he'll be able to give you tips and exact spots to fish.

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭dbrock

you could pick up a decent second hand set up for your self, your prob best of to go with fixed spool reel ,alot easier to get the hang of, rod wise you wont go wrong with a shakespear salt rod ,great Range not to expensive and will cover most the fishing around the coast, you can also try viking tackle in bray or gotcha angling in greystones,

dont worry about trying to cast out to far in killiney, so dont go buying a rod you cant use as you will get no enjoyment out of it at all,

Advertisement