Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any builders around?

Options
  • 25-06-2013 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭

Hi :)

Am looking for a builder, who can fix the wall in my back garden, I would like to higher it up a bit, because the back wall is much lower than the side walls.

The wall itself is 20 feet in length approx, I need two rows of blocks on top of it, let's say 2 feet or so.

Are there any builders around who could do the job for me? Or can yuo recommend anyone?

Have to look a bit a t the price though, and need a quote first, maybe the landlord will pay for it, or at least contribute to the costs.

Am based in Dublin 9, just off Collins Avenue.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I'd talk to the landlord before doing anything to property that you do not own.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

January wrote: »
    I'd talk to the landlord before doing anything to property that you do not own.

Did that already, they want me to come up with a quote, before they make a decision.

Landlady lives in Canada, it all goes through an estate agent, so it might take a few days to hear back anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Presuming the wall is built with Cavity blocks,
    28 blocks @ €1.40
    6 25kg bags of sand @ €2.80
    2 25kg bags of Cement @5.50
    Builder, 1 days work €100-€150

€67 + builder so €167- €217+delivery charge if there is one, €200 sounds about right.

Good builder could be gone by lunchtime.

nudger wrote: »
    Presuming the wall is built with Cavity blocks,
    28 blocks @ €1.40
    6 25kg bags of sand @ €2.80
    2 25kg bags of Cement @5.50
    Builder, 1 days work €100-€150

€67 + builder so €167- €217+delivery charge if there is one, €200 sounds about right.

Good builder could be gone by lunchtime.

Sounds great alright :)

But what about a cement mixer? I guess, I need a lend of one.

A decent brickie would just hand mix it in 2/3 mix's with a shovel.
    If he says he needs a Helper tell him to F O, Good brickie will lay a couple hundred blocks in a day.
    If you want a brickie I can recommend pm style.:D clontarf area.

• Advertisement

nudger wrote: »
    A decent brickie would just hand mix it in 2/3 mix's with a shovel.
    If he says he needs a Helper tell him to F O, Good brickie will lay a couple hundred blocks in a day.
    If you want a brickie I can recommend pm style.:D clontarf area.

Have you got any contact details? I'm not too far away from Clontarf :)

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Have you got any contact details? I'm not too far away from Clontarf :)

PM'D

• Registered Users Posts: 47 rmckeown

please pm me details of the brickie you know, am looking to get an extention done.. thanks

rmckeown wrote: »
    please pm me details of the brickie you know, am looking to get an extention done.. thanks

PM on the way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭Penn

If it's a boundary wall you need to get permission from the adjoining landowner. It's their wall too. If the wall is low like you claim they probably wouldn't have a problem with it, but it's better to run it past them first as they could take more offence to it being done without being consulted and cause legal issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Will the foundation take the extra weight are their any piers have you got a side entrance all these will have to be taken in to consideration.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

What's the current height of the wall. You have a few things to consider :

Boundary wall needs consent from both sides of the wall.
    Planning may be required if going over 2m in height.
    Wall,foundations may need to be checked and stability of wall with the increased height and piers may have to be provided. You may laugh at the last one as it sounds OTT, but if that falls down on someone, you can be damn sure you will be getting brought to court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Lads, the wall was 9 months ago ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

What was the outcome ? Did he get it built, did it fall on anyone... oh the suspense.

Advertisement