Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intrum Justita - Littlewoods debt

Options
  • 25-06-2013 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hey guys,

So i have a bit of a problem with this crowd Intrum Justita.

Basically a few years ago i bought stuff on Credit with Littlewoods (silly i know!)
    and i always paid it off then would spend some again.

I had my old work address down as my billing address. Last year in March I moved to Canada, I totally forgot all about Littlewoods to be honest.

Then they sent me a email requesting payment in full, i contacted Littlewoods LOADS of times, asking if I could pay by canadian credit card or Debit, or cheque, or paypal i even offered to transfer the money to their account.. but NO they would only take Irish Laser or Credit card which I don't have any more. so they told me to get a family memeber to pay it.. I wasnt happy about that! I said I didnt have any one to help me, (to be honest my dad would freak if he knew i had bought stuff on credit!) and that was basically it for months

Then one day a girl I used to work with emailed me a copy of a registered letter sent to my old office from Intrum Justita Saying i owed about 350E, and i had to pay immediately or there would be bailiffs involved and I could be brought to court etc..
    so i emailed Them saying it was an office address I didnt live in the country any more, I gave them a phone number, email address and my Canadian Address to forward any letters too, and i offered to pay it in bi-weekly installments of 100 $ which would only take like 2 months in total to pay off and they refused. That was about 6 months ago and i've heard nothing else.

So what will happen? They don't have my irish home address, so they can't send a bailiff can they? Will this effect my credit?
    Should i just ignore it and hope it goes away?? :)
    Has any one else ever dealt with them?
    I was kind of peeved i did OFFER to pay they just refused!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

If you want to clear the debt, I'd do the following:

Ignore the letter from IJ. Your debt is with Littlewoods, not them. And they can't chase you for the debt as you no longer live in the EU.

Write to Littlewoods, explaining that you no longer live in Ireland, and refer to your previous correspondence, offering to clear the debt. Enclose a Euro banker's draft with the letter with your name, address and a/c no. clearly written on the back.

Sit back and relax. IJ are talking b*llox and they know it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

They are completely powerless in this situation, its such a small amount in the scale of things that they may have already just have written it off....might explain why you heard nothing since.

You are being perfectly reasonable with what your offering to do, the only thing I'd change is just deal with littlewoods directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭illegalmidget

If you want to clear the debt, I'd do the following:

Ignore the letter from IJ. Your debt is with Littlewoods, not them. And they can't chase you for the debt as you no longer live in the EU.

Write to Littlewoods, explaining that you no longer live in Ireland, and refer to your previous correspondence, offering to clear the debt. Enclose a Euro banker's draft with the letter with your name, address and a/c no. clearly written on the back.

Sit back and relax. IJ are talking b*llox and they know it.

I actually did Contact Littlewoods last year when i first got the letter from IJ and they said the debt has been passed on and i have to Contact IJ for any further info as they cant deal with me, to be honest id rather pay it in installments, Im not the type of person that ever has over 500$ lying around. why wont they just let me do that! do they want there money or not! ggrrr! :mad::mad:

Just send them the money. Get Euro banker's drafts and do it that way. They're hardly gonna turn down the money, are they? And the debt'll be clear. Like I say : They're talking b*llox.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Would just ignore it tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭illegalmidget

hhmm i would pay them if i had the money but i just never have that kind of cash spare
    Toronto is an expensive city :(

i suppose il just wait and see what happens.. you think they would be reasonable and just let me pay by installments if they wanted their money that bad!

i doubt they will send bailiffs and bring me to court over 350.. lets hope not!

Not going to happen. They have to serve you. Where?? And I seriously doubt they're gonna send the bailiffs out to Canada...

Stuff like this will affect your credit rating or we will see you in court it's just bull****. Companies like Intrum Justitia just buy the debts that Littlewoods has written off. They will pay around 20% of the value of the debt and will send you draft summonses they typed themselves or printed off a website to scare you into paying the debt. No debt collectors would come to you door either if you were still living here. The matter would have to go to court first and the court orders you to repay the amount owed and you don't that's when debt collectors come in to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

afaik I.J. don't even buy debts, and are merely a debt collection agency.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Wasn't there a thread here recently where someone tried paying one of these agencies only to find that they hadn't, in fact, paid anything of the debt or at least no as much as they thought they had despite having paid a considerable sum of money to them? Administration charges or something similar was the excuse if I recall ? I think it was a bank loan or similar ?

Insist on dealing with the company you have the contract with, Littlewoods are that company whether they like it or not !?

Ken

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

I'm not sure if it was IJ or Littlewoods who refused your credit card on the basis that it wasn't Irish, but that should never have happened. Visa & MasterCard are both accepted worldwide and if they're telling you they don't accept Canadian versions of either then they've no right to accept an Irish version.

Get in contact with littlewoods as they're the creditor not IJ. Insist on that when you call and it must be a call otherwise they will fob you off forever. Give them your account number and offer to make a payment by card. Don't make any reference to the country where the cards bank is. Give them the number and voila. You'll be asked how much you're paying and tell them. If they ask for more tell them its all you have available.

Alternatively you could use your account number online and see if your account is still active in their site, in which case you can just make an online payment without having to talk to anybody.

Makes no sense paying something that is already wrote off. IT WON'T AFFECT CREDIT RATINGS INVOLVE DEBT COLLECTORS TO YOUR DOOR OR EVEN GO TO COURT. Just enjoy your new life in Canada and forget all about it. With a 39.9% APR very few people will feel sorry for them.

Advertisement