Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly fishing Alaska... Are you coming??

Options
  • 25-06-2013 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Guys,

Myself and a pal of mine are planning a trip to Alaksa this Autumn and we are looking for a couple of travel buddies.

My friend has been to Alaska sixteen times and has put together a package of his best fishing experiences for this time of year, for me (an Alaskan virgin).
    We are trying to do this on a budget to try to make it as affordable as possible for the normal man and we are not a travel company, just a couple of anglers looking for company and to share the cost.

We are doing a 4 river trip over 25 days but anyone can come join us for any section of the trip, you don’t have to commit to it all

Leg 1;
    We plan to arrive in Alaska on 1st of September and head to the Bristol Bay area to do a floating raft trip from the headwaters to the estuary of either the Goodnews, Arolik or Kanetok rivers until the 8th of Sept. We will be flown in and dropped with our provisions and will work our way downstream (90km) over 8 days, setting camp every evening along the way. This is very much a wilderness experience and we will have minimal contact with any other people along the way.
    Leg 2;
    9th Sept we will head back to anchorage and rent a jeep with a boat and trailer and will fish the Kenai river and a number of its tributaries. This is a more social experience and we will be back among civilisation (well, sort of) every evening, steaks and beers will be available anyway.

Leg 3;
    The 14th of Sept gives you 2 options; Head on home or come to the Kvichak river with us for the next 5 days. The Kvichak is reputed to be one of the worlds best fishing rivers for large wild rainbows and as of yet, it is only lightly fished. According to my pal, this is the jewel of them all. Accomodation will be in a riverside cabin in a native community settlement (Igiugig) and will be self catering.

Leg 4;
    September 19th gives you the choice again of heading home or coming to South East Alaska to the Tsiu river for possibly the best silver salmon fishing in Alaska. This involves staying in a lodge, it is a bit pricier alright but the fishing is normally phenomenal.

The fun and games all comes to an end on 24th September when we come home.

Lads, this is only an indicator of what we will be doing and you can join us for the whole trip or just pop in for sections of your choosing. If we get the optimum numbers it will make it cheaper for everyone to split the cost of the fly-outs, guide costs, accommodation, raft hire, food . etc….

We are just trying to get the best of fishing at the best prices, we are not profit making outfit.

PM me if you want some more info.

C.D.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭EireIceMan

I know a man whos been there 16 times, (his name is Johnny in case its your friend:p), caught some king salmon there. This yoke is massive. Has some good stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Ive just told herself I am postponing our wedding. I'll see ye at the airport lads....!

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭stevie_b

Sounds great - i only wish i had the time!

What would a rough estimate of the cost be for the whole trip? Make sure you get lots of photo's and put up a report after!

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭slaneylad

So was it yourself or your friend that won the euromillions?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 steel header

I fished the Ktok a few years ago, me and a buddy took a Diy float trip for 10 days. Great trip!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement