Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Method/App for deciding on commuting method/route

• 25-06-2013 4:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭

I live in Stillorgan and am working in Swords.

I'm looking for a method or programme which can accurately compare my commuting route options in terms of time taken and cost, maybe a smartphone app that tracks and records my journey each day?

Currently I commute on motorcycle via the M50, it's about 45km each way, tolls are free and I get about 280km out of a tank of petrol (about €21). Takes about 40 minutes door to door.
    450km/week is high mileage for a bike, so if I keep this up for another 6 months or so, the bike will be pretty much unsellable because of the mileage. I've looked after it properly so this isn't really an issue unless I try to sell it.
    Service intervals are about 5,000km on my bike so that means having to do the oil & filter numerous times a year and the motorway is fairly hard on tyres (€165 for the rear and about €135 for the front), I've just got a new pair of fairly hard tyres so will see how many km I get out of them.

My other option is to go through town, journey times are roughly the same, distances are less but fuel economy suffers because of the start-stop nature of the driving. I'll get less kms to my full tank of petrol but my end cost may not be less. Also, servicing intervals will be almost doubled and would hopefully get longer out of tyres also.

Does anyone know of a method I could use for comparing the two like for like or is it just a case of timing myself and recording my petrol useage and km's travelled for a week doing each method and seeing how I get on. Also one route may be better in the am vs the pm.

NOTE: Bikes are free to use the East/West link bridges but not the port tunnel so any recommendations for a through town rate are appreciated. Can also travel in the buslane but not legally so:mad:

Any thoughts appreciated!

Comments

Advertisement