Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Switching off

• 25-06-2013 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭

This past year was my first as a qualified teacher. I was very lucky in that I was employed in 2 schools for the full year. I had 22hrs in my second school after Christmas so I was very busy.... And happily so.

Since the break I've had problems switching off. I just can't seem to relax and take the hols in my stride. I'm looking around myself for things to do and just getting bored and a bit down. Anyone ever experience something similar?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

teach88 wrote: »
    This past year was my first as a qualified teacher. I was very lucky in that I was employed in 2 schools for the full year. I had 22hrs in my second school after Christmas so I was very busy.... And happily so.

Since the break I've had problems switching off. I just can't seem to relax and take the hols in my stride. I'm looking around myself for things to do and just getting bored and a bit down. Anyone ever experience something similar?

I used to hate the first few weeks of the holidays, it takes a while to get into a routine of no routine. Marking the exam papers can take up a good month and if you're lucky enough to have got paid for most of the year, why not use the hols to do some travelling? I'm sure there are summer camps around the country who would like volunteers.

Two kids later, boredom is no longer a problem....!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

just make plans and get going each day otherwise you end up staying up til 4am, sleeping in 1pm and on and on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭teacherhead

I used to hate the first few weeks of the holidays, it takes a while to get into a routine of no routine. Marking the exam papers can take up a good month and if you're lucky enough to have got paid for most of the year, why not use the hols to do some travelling? I'm sure there are summer camps around the country who would like volunteers.

Two kids later, boredom is no longer a
    problem....!

Was just going to suggest having children. It'll make you long for September :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Coursera.org
    I'm completely addicted!!

Also started writing a music book for myself. Notes take a ton of time to write and tidy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

I have a small farm alongside the job which I am trying to build up. Leaves me finding switching off very easy. I think it is important for everybody to have a substantial hobby outside work to switch off from the job. If you can make a small business from it all the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Pjays

A hobby would really help. Personally, I love gardening and find it a great way to relax every summer. Even if you live in an apartment, you could start planting out on your balcony.

The gym is another good one. Great way to forget about school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I cycle, meet fellow teacher friends for lunch, nap & then hit the gym.

I start correcting on Friday & that takes me to July 24th & then off traveling for three weeks, then just the one week when we come back.

You need to do something, I was very bored 4 years ago when I was paid for a summer but had no correcting work, knew no one in Dublin at the time & developed really bad sleeping patterns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Oh and musical theatre, I founded the local group for years ago-takes all my spare time.

And stitch and bitch, we set up a group among some of my friends. It's not all sewing, knitting or just chatting. Good to have a meet up outside of pub time and easy to hold on a week night

Advertisement