Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Design Process

Options
  • 25-06-2013 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

How long would everyone spend designing a site before bringing it into the coding stage?

Personally the way I do it is..

1. meetings with clients get a full brief on what they need, what they do, whos it targeted towards, who they wanna market it too the usual stuff.

2. Pencil and paper, to create a rough outline of how i think it should be shaped, i'll then get a sign off from a client on this.

3. UI Design in photoshop, fireworks and illustrator. Make sure that every things looking the way their wanting it, get em to sign off on this.

4. bring it into html coding, design mobile first if responsive, or design just desktop if thats what the client is looking for. client sign off

5. Site launch and full social media coverage from myself, the clients and anyone else they client has to promote it.

Is there anything else that you guys do or is this the gist of a typical project?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭_ciaran_

I take a similar approach. However, between steps 1 & 2 I include
    - Research clients business and competition, look at at least 5 competitors websites.
    - Come up with a content hierarchy & structure
    I prefer to have a map of the content hierarchy before even thumb nailing.

I do my mockups in illustrator and use photoshop if necessary.

I don't do mobile first although all my sites are responsive. I don't think responsive design is an optional extra in this day and age, all design should be responsive.

No interest in social media campaigning unless it's something I've been specifically asked to do (for which I would charge extra.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

I wouldn't do a campaign as such, just a few quick statusses about the site and what it does for about two days after the launch.

Advertisement