Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want To Go To The US of A

Options
  • 25-06-2013 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭

Having a nightmare looking around, can't make head nor tales of it.

Simple question really.

I'm 29 and would love to just piss off outta this Ireland hole.

Can you get a visa where you can just go and try find work or do you have to have it all arranged before you head off?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

It has to be pre-arranged. You cant just show up and look for work.

And to get a work visa isnt easy at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

What Trees said. Now technically, you can go on the visa waiver program and look for work/ interview, but would then need to come home and wait till your employer sorts out the paperwork and gets you the work visa. Unless you have rare skills/ lots of experience/ a Masters you are very unlikely to get an employer to hire you as it takes time and $5000+ for them to get you over.

Considering you are relatively young, Australia or Canada may be a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Sneek in it is so :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Sneek in it is so :D

Enjoy deportation or never getting to come home to see your family again. You'll never be able to get a driver's licence or health insurance.

Best of luck with sneaking in! :D

Ok so i ain't going to sneek in that was a joke.

I know a lot of people in New York with businesses which would be willing to sponsor me and give me a job (from big office type businesses to bars, restaurants and so on) mainly from family, friends.

If they did sponsor me just to get me over would it matter if it was a job in a big company like Goldman Sachs or a low paid job say in a Restaurant - Bar???

Would they reject a visa even if i was sponsored but just because its crappy bar work, because they would rather a US citizen get it??? If you get me.

EDIT:

And if i managed to get a visa for work in new york, do i have to stay in that job, could i work say 6 months and move states, I want to go more west.

Example: Could i work there a while and move to say LA and look for work there, or would one have to go through the whole sponsor thing again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

No you will have to stay with the company that has sponsored you. Unless they have a company in CA and you can transfer within the company you are out of luck. You can't just work for six months up sticks and go get another job elsewhere. The bigger the company the easier it would be to sponsor you though. They look into a company taxes etc so the company has to be doing everything on board.
    Unless it is a direct relative I very much doubt someone will sponsor you because of the amount of money it cost and the investigative background the company has to go through, its just way to much hassle unless you are highly qualified in a field they are looking for.

A lot of American small to medium business owners have no idea how hard it is to legally sponsor someone. Trust me, a lot just think they can fill out paper work and pay a small fee and hay presto they've got you a visa. This unfortunately is far from the truth. Min $5000+ to sponsor you with certain restrictions. When they see this you can see why they wont sponsor. Financially it doesn't make sense to them.

Palmy wrote: »
    No you will have to stay with the company that has sponsored you. Unless they have a company in CA and you can transfer within the company you are out of luck. You can't just work for six months up sticks and go get another job elsewhere. The bigger the company the easier it would be to sponsor you though. They look into a company taxes etc so the company has to be doing everything on board.
    Unless it is a direct relative I very much doubt someone will sponsor you because of the amount of money it cost and the investigative background the company has to go through, its just way to much hassle unless you are highly qualified in a field they are looking for.

Its a very close relative :) and if it happens i will be paying the money myself to cover their costs, 5000-10,000 is fine, anymore and not a hope.

they have offices in a good few states but of course LA is not one of them :mad

so its pretty much you work for the company that sponsored you and if you leave that job, its home time.

If i ended up staying for a long time does this ever change? or am i stuck working there in the same job or company forever.

Sorry, i should do more research :rolleyes:

Once you are their after a curtain amount of time I am pretty sure you can apply for a Greencard (not 100%) sure though. Most people work and still apply for the Greencard (DV Lottery) and hope they get it while being sponsored.I won on the DV Lottery so unsure of the other.If you have a close relative willing to do that for you then go for it.But by you paying the money to him for your sponsorship it is a very big NO,NO if immigration found this out your relative and you will be in a lot of trouble so be advised and I don't advise or condone this at all.

Once you are their after a curtain amount of time I am pretty sure you can apply for a Greencard (not 100%) sure though. Most people work and still apply for the Greencard (DV Lottery) and hope they get it while being sponsored.I won on the DV Lottery so unsure of the other.If you have a close relative willing to do that for you then go for it.But by you paying the money to him for your sponsorship it is a very big NO,NO if immigration found this out your relative and you will be in a lot of trouble so be advised and I don't advise or condone this at all.

So i get a green card and then i can work where i want????

Again sorry for all the Q's

• Advertisement

Yep once you get your Greencard you can work or live where ever you want. Once you have your Greencard for five years you can apply for citizenship .Unless you marry an American and get your Greencard the wait for citizenship is only three years.

Yep once you get your Greencard you can work or live where ever you want. Once you have your Greencard for five years you can apply for citizenship .Unless you marry an American and get your Greencard the wait for citizenship is only three years.

And one last Question haha.

The green card is only in lottery form or not????

You can get it that way i know as you've said if your lucky.

But do you auto qualify after so many years?

Thanks for all the help :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

You can't pay the costs of the visa, though I'm not sure how this is checked

You can't pay the costs of the visa, though I'm not sure how this is checked

I won't ;)

I am pretty sure you can apply for residency after about 5-7 years working, living, and paying taxes. Thus getting your Greencard (permanent residency)But that's also 5-7 years that you can apply while working for the DV lottery, giving you a better chance. I don't know what age you are but if you lived here and marry an American you want have a problem. Your visa status will be changed from being a visa status to permanent resident just by marriage.

I am pretty sure you can apply for residency after about 5-7 years working, living, and paying taxes. Thus getting your Greencard (permanent residency)But that's also 5-7 years that you can apply while working for the DV lottery, giving you a better chance. I don't know what age you are but if you lived here and marry an American you want have a problem. Your visa status will be changed from being a visa status to permanent resident just by marriage.

Cool stuff, thanks for all the answers, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Not automatically, you always have to be sponsored for a green card. It can be an employer or a spouse or certain other family members who do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

OP, if a company is sponsoring you for a work visa, it usually awarded on a year by year basis. You won't get a permanent one. So the company in question have to re petition the US govt for another visa when the first one runs out, which needs more thousands of dollars spent on you. They also very often have to prove that there are no US citizen that are able to do the job that you are being brought in from a foreign country to do. In a country as big and diverse in the US, that can be quite a tall order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Its a very close relative :) and if it happens i will be paying the money myself to cover their costs, 5000-10,000 is fine, anymore and not a hope.

Slight problem there.....you are not allowed pay the cost of the visa application......if USCIS finds out, your application will immediately be turned down.

Got my visa baby,OH YEAH, see all ya bitches in hollywood.

BOOM!!!!!!!!!

p.s - Knowing people is great :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

BOOM!!!!!!!!!

You couldn't of got it that quick. How about telling us who they.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Unless you mean the visa waiver, this seems extremely unlikely, knowing people or no. What type of visa did you get, when did you apply for it, and when was your interview at the embassy?

June 25th.....asking questions about what kinds of visas are available.

July 9th......visa approved...on way to America.

Doesn't even come close to adding up.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Not a hope. Even as spouse of a American national it was months coming through.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

Trolling?????

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Paul_Hacket

BOOM!!!!!!!!!

Good for you! During your visit to Hollywood are you also going to pick up the imaginary best actor Oscar that the academy are giving you for your performance above?

p.s. - Posting fantasist nonsense on boards.ie is great and not at all a sign of being an utter sad sack ;-)

Bunch of jealous bastards on here or do people not feel happy when others catch a little break for once in their lives. I said i knew people. I got what i needed to get and got it quicker than most.

I'm not bragging i'm just happy i don't have to go through all the shíte now. (trying to find a job,sponsor etc.....) It's all sorted.

I leave in august, so happy days. :)

We'll end the thread with that thank you as i'm not looking for abuse for no reason.

Cheers.

P.S - Thanks to everyone that helped before, much appreciated and thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Paul_Hacket

Bunch of jealous bastards on here or do people not feel happy when others catch a little break for once in their lives. I said i knew people. I got what i needed to get and got it quicker than most.

P.S - Thanks to everyone that helped before, much appreciated and thank you.

LOL. Okay, I'll bite. What exactly did you "get"? A work visa to the USA? Which kind? A H1-B or an L-1 perhaps?

And you achieved this in a matter of weeks, yes? Who exactly do you "know" that helped you "get" this? The US ambassador to Ireland?

Lastly, and most importantly - do you really believe that other people are as stupid as you are? That's adorable.

P.S. - not actually a "jealous bastard" since I've been a legal resident of the USA with a work visa for the past 20 years. What you are claiming above is literally impossible, but it's nice to see that there are still dreamers in Ireland.

Going on an A visa.

I'm not going to name anyone sorry, I'm not dreaming, and just looking to better my life elsewhere.

I could go on but i'm not entertaining anybody on here either, Thats me finished on the issue.

Thanks again for everyones help. You never know this time next year we could be american boardsie friends :pac:

Oh and before anyone starts going on about how i cant work on the A visa, Read above a few posts where i say ITS SORTED

Kiss Kiss Kiss x x x

• Advertisement

Congrats on being an immediate relative or employee of a major political figure stationed in the US.......can't work on an A visa btw, just a warning so that you don't find yourself stuck in the US.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement