Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vague symptoms - collie cross.

• 25-06-2013 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭

Apologies in advance for a rambling and vague description. In a minute you'll see why I'm not going to the vet with this:
    I have a seven-year-old collie cross, male and not neutered. For the last few weeks he has been out of sorts. He begins his walk with the usual exuberance and enthusiasm, but seems to lose interest quickly and now spends more than half the walk trailing after me. Our walks are getting shorter and shorter, but he's flattened and passes out as soon as I get him home. (He has always been a very active dog, we've done a lot of hillwalking and adventuring together.)
    He doesn't wake me in the morning any more, he doesn't seem to have the energy.
    Sometimes I think he's limping slightly, possibly favouring a back leg, but there might be a reason for that (see his boring history below). It might also be my imagination.
    I have ruled out some sort of internal discomfort because he'll happily roll around on the lawn. He's not particularly stiff, even in the mornings, but I don't think he's as bouncy as he used to be either?
    It's not the heat either, I walk them at night when it's cool.
    The worst thing is that I really think there's something wrong, and I'm not doing anything about it. I don't have the nerve to go in to the vet and say "Cure him, he's just not himself."
    He's well fed, very well minded, and he's loved. He looks fine, nice coat, clear eye.
    Could it be a side effect of a course of steroids (below)?
    Is it age? He's only seven, and a crossbreed, surely he has years of activity left.
    Could it be (I know this sounds silly) emotional? We've had a bad year, lots of upsets, and he's a very sensitive soul.

Boring history: A year ago he was diagnosed with symmetrical lupoid onychododystrophy (toenails falling off, a possible explanation for limping). He was on steroids for six weeks, and it cleared up. Two months ago he lost another toenail, and he was put on steroids for two weeks. Since then there have been no other nails lost. He's not on anything at all at the moment.

The problem is that he has been left with an unreasonable fear of vets, and he hates anybody examining him too closely. He'll let me pet him and tussle with him for hours, but as soon as he thinks I'm trying to get a look at a paw or an ear or something he gets grumpy and behaves as if I've hurt him. He curls up and scuttles off. I have no idea how he knows the difference between me gazing adoringly into his lovely brown eye, and me checking that his lovely brown eye is ok. (He only has one eye, I mind it well.)

I'd love to hear from anybody who can help, particularly anybody with experience of symmetrical lupoid onychodystrophy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Apologies in advance for a rambling and vague description. In a minute you'll see why I'm not going to the vet with this:
    I have a seven-year-old collie cross, male and not neutered. For the last few weeks he has been out of sorts. He begins his walk with the usual exuberance and enthusiasm, but seems to lose interest quickly and now spends more than half the walk trailing after me. Our walks are getting shorter and shorter, but he's flattened and passes out as soon as I get him home. (He has always been a very active dog, we've done a lot of hillwalking and adventuring together.)
    He doesn't wake me in the morning any more, he doesn't seem to have the energy.
    Sometimes I think he's limping slightly, possibly favouring a back leg, but there might be a reason for that (see his boring history below). It might also be my imagination.
    I have ruled out some sort of internal discomfort because he'll happily roll around on the lawn. He's not particularly stiff, even in the mornings, but I don't think he's as bouncy as he used to be either?
    It's not the heat either, I walk them at night when it's cool.
    The worst thing is that I really think there's something wrong, and I'm not doing anything about it. I don't have the nerve to go in to the vet and say "Cure him, he's just not himself."
    He's well fed, very well minded, and he's loved. He looks fine, nice coat, clear eye.
    Could it be a side effect of a course of steroids (below)?
    Is it age? He's only seven, and a crossbreed, surely he has years of activity left.
    Could it be (I know this sounds silly) emotional? We've had a bad year, lots of upsets, and he's a very sensitive soul.

Boring history: A year ago he was diagnosed with symmetrical lupoid onychododystrophy (toenails falling off, a possible explanation for limping). He was on steroids for six weeks, and it cleared up. Two months ago he lost another toenail, and he was put on steroids for two weeks. Since then there have been no other nails lost. He's not on anything at all at the moment.

The problem is that he has been left with an unreasonable fear of vets, and he hates anybody examining him too closely. He'll let me pet him and tussle with him for hours, but as soon as he thinks I'm trying to get a look at a paw or an ear or something he gets grumpy and behaves as if I've hurt him. He curls up and scuttles off. I have no idea how he knows the difference between me gazing adoringly into his lovely brown eye, and me checking that his lovely brown eye is ok. (He only has one eye, I mind it well.)

I'd love to hear from anybody who can help, particularly anybody with experience of symmetrical lupoid onychodystrophy.

Is this a joke? Your dog hasn't got a soul, sensitive or otherwise, and he sounds-by your own description- poorly and out of sorts. You've 'ruled out' internal problems because he likes to roll on the lawn?? If there is something wrong with your dog or you are worried about his health bring him to a vet- he'll get over the trauma.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

Is this a joke? Your dog hasn't got a soul, sensitive or otherwise, and he sounds-by your own description- poorly and out of sorts. You've 'ruled out' internal problems because he likes to roll on the lawn?? If there is something wrong with your dog or you are worried about his health bring him to a vet- he'll get over the trauma.

Thanks fatmammycat. You're lovely, never mind what everybody says. You're helpful. And wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

3 posts in and the tone is already not good.Please reply constructively or not at all, both of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Thanks fatmammycat. You're lovely, never mind what everybody says. You're helpful. And wise.

Fine, disregard what I say about a vet visit. Your dog, do what you wish.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

As per the forum charter, civility is expected.
    OP, you are going to need to brace yourself for people being honest with you here. If you have a problem with a post, report it. Do not deal with it on-thread yourself

Mod hat off:
    Dogs not liking the vet is widespread. It is not a reason not to get him checked out if you think he's not feeling right.
    As for what it could be, it could be any one of a huge number if things. That's why he needs to see the vet.

• Advertisement

DBB wrote: »
    Dogs not liking the vet is widespread. It is not a reason not to get him checked out if you think he's not feeling right.
    As for what it could be, it could be any one of a huge number if things. That's why he needs to see the vet.

He was in on Wednesday last for his shots. I mentioned his general lack of energy, but when the vet tried to take his temperature and have a closer look he kicked up an awful fuss. The vet gave up, probably because the symptoms are so vague and the dog looks fine. I think he only tried to take a look to keep me quiet TBH. I like that vet, he's been good to all my pets, but it will take a bit of nerve to march the dog back in there and ask that he take another look.
    I suppose I was really hoping to hear that this is part of SLO, and he'll get over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭snoman

I think that I speak for all pet owners who have been in a position when they go into the vet with a vague set of non specific idiotic descriptions of symptoms. Unfortunately it comes with the territory. But our pets can't speak so we have to speak for them. In my opinion the symptoms that you are describing warrent a visit to the vet, pronto. And just say what you;ve said above. My old girl absolutely hates having her ears cleaned/looked at/examined by the vet - we still go and have it done... and boy does she sulk. My boy hates having his nails cut, but I still do it. Sometimes its hard to go if you are a bit fearful... but I really would go asap. Hope all works out for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I agree that doggy must see the vet, I have a collie cross here and Ive always thought of her as a sensitive soul, very tuned to my moods and the general atmosphere of the house ie if myself and himself have had a tiff or something, she also hates the vet she had a lung infection in december and the vet had to muzzle her in the end not much fun for her or me (or the vet come to that!) but I wouldnt hesitate to take her back to vet if she was sickly so I think u need to take a deep breath and go back to the vet for a proper check up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Really surprised that the vet vaccinated without taking the dog's temperature, as if there is something wrong with the dog, then the vaccination is worse than useless.

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Ive always thought of her as a sensitive soul,

Careful, that sort of wishy washy animal-lovin' nonsense doesn't always go down well here!

Of course I'm not going to let the wee fella suffer just because he's afraid of the vet. He's also afraid of squeaky toys and wheelie bins and loud noises, but he gets over it, he'll survive the trauma of a visit to the vet.

In fact, I seem to be constantly into the vet, usually with this dog. In this instance there's just nothing I can point to and say "See that there? Fix it, wouldja?" I'm afraid the vet will tell me to cop on and stop wasting his time.

Confession : He's also a bit afraid of Ronan Collins' sig tune on the radio. I don't know why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

The symptoms you described in your first post arent vague at all, the slowing down on a walk / lack of energy / slight limp occasionally and lack of interest in waking you in the morning like he usually does (behaviour change) - these symptoms clearly suggest something is wrong and to me (and of course Im not a vet) the first thing that springs to mind is a pain issue - but whatever it is something is wrong. Explain the exact symptoms to your vet, if he is dismissive of you or makes you feel stupid get another vet. Lots of dog health issues arent exactly black and white and require determination to get to the bottom of the problem. A good vet will take your dog symptoms seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

OP I have an 8 year old collie cross and this started to happen to my boy just 4 weeks ago. Some people might remember me posting. I took him to the vet for his first official "senior" check-up, and the vet basically told me that he's an old boy now. He's just not fit for the walks, he gets tired awfully quick, and is out cold for hours after we get back. I shortened the walks by almost half and take it nice and slow for him. We also switched his food to a senior specific diet and he has perked up a lot. He loves his toys a lot more, is more proactive about getting out of bed or off the floor and seems to have a bit of the spark back.

I would, however, still recommend you take him to the vet. If you are really worried about what people might think or say, take him to a new vet that has been recommended in your area, and tell them you just want a second opinion on his behaviour changes and general well-being. A good vet won't generally "give up" on perfoming diagnostic procedures because a dog is being in any way difficult. They have means of getting things done safely and efficiently - from muzzles right through to sedation. And any good vet will know that the one true indication that there is something wrong with a dog, is when its owner says "he is not himself". You have been in that dog's constant company for the past 7 years. Of course you know if something has changed. It is up to you to inform the vet. To re-iterate, basically try another vet to put your mind at ease, start giving him supplements for his joints, and ask about a change in feed to suit his elder gentlemanly years :D

Hi, OP back again. Brought him to the vet on Wednesday. The vet took my incoherent description of the dog's symptoms seriously, and took pints and pints of blood to test for different things. We have another appointment on Monday to do more tests. The vet knows this fella's history and thinks it's probably not just age, so he's going to rule things out one by one.
    We'll do what it takes to get him back to his own bold self.
    Thanks to those who were nice about this, particularly those who read between the lines and PMd me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Fingers and paws crossed for doggy!

He had a bunch of tests, and we got results on Friday. Turns out he has picked up some liver damage, probably some time ago, and there are also signs of an infection.
    The vet assured me that he's not in any pain or discomfort, which I thought was probably the case, but it's still good to hear it.
    He's on antibiotics for the infection and a very strict medicated diet. The vet is going to do more tests in a month to see of there's any improvement. If he's not happy that it's under control we're going to try a more aggressive course of action. (He's reluctant to go to go to town on him straight away because the dog is, as he put it, "such a bad patient" and the stress and anxiety would be very hard on him.)
    Terrible to hear that he's sick, but in a way I'm relieved that it's not just a decline into old age, there's something we can do about it.
    He's in good form, we're just back from a very successful camping and boating trip, the sun is out and in general things aren't so bad.
    If anybody has any experience of liver problems in dogs, feel free to share.
    Thanks everybody!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Ah sorry to hear that but at the same time at least you now know whats going on and can give treatment to help....hope things go well for you:)

Advertisement