Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving car insurance: encountering problems

Options
  • 25-06-2013 6:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭

My partner and I have been with FBD for a few years now. My premium last year was €371. This year they informed us that they were raising it to an incredible €556. We have made no claims on the policy in this time. Naturally I started shopping around and I came across a quote for slightly better cover at €339 on the AA website. Out of objection to FBD's pricing policy against existing customers, I vowed to not return to FBD to see if they'd match my new quote (even though it's extra hassle to move).

However, I have just spoken with the AA rep. I told him that somebody crashed into my partner over two years ago, that they have admitted liability and that no claim has, or will be, made against her policy. He asked did she suffer a personal injury, and I said she did but that the case will not be going to court for a while as the injuries continue. At this he informed me that even though no claim has been made on our insurance we had to inform our insurance company. Why? Moreover, he said we could not move from our existing insurance company (FBD) because this is an ongoing issue. Neither of us can comprehend the rationality behind this. Can somebody explain, please?

Could somebody familiar with this area tell us what precisely our rights are here? It seems a double injustice that having been the victim of an accident, we have no choice in this supposedly freemarket but to stay with an insurance company which is clearly and unequivocally determined to screw us.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

Ask to speak to a supervisor in AA. What you've been told is nonsense.

If you are the innocent party in a crash, then you keep your NCB. In theory and most people do, report the incident to their own insurers. This is to comply with terms and conditions of the Policy. However, if liability is not in question, then your own insurers will simply record it as a claim notification with NIL payment.

You are entitled to move insurer. New insurer is entitled to have certain required standards and as long as you meet those, you should be able to take out your Policy with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

ravima wrote: »
    Ask to speak to a supervisor in AA. What you've been told is nonsense.

If you are the innocent party in a crash, then you keep your NCB. In theory and most people do, report the incident to their own insurers. This is to comply with terms and conditions of the Policy. However, if liability is not in question, then your own insurers will simply record it as a claim notification with NIL payment.

You are entitled to move insurer. New insurer is entitled to have certain required standards and as long as you meet those, you should be able to take out your Policy with them.

At your suggestion, I got back in touch with AA, asking for a supervisor. The situation was rechecked. He explained to me that AA uses three insurance companies: RSA, AXA and Alliance. He said that RSA refused to take the policy because there was an "open claim" on it. I reiterated clearly once again that my partner was the victim of an accident, where the other party accepted blame and that there was no claim on her existing (FBD) policy but RSA refused to cover us nonetheless. I don't understand the logic but that's the way it is.

Between the jigs and the reels, through AA Axa were willing to cover us for €380 (fully comprehensive, full no claims protection), a huge improvement on the FBD quote.

Thanks for your help.

Advertisement