Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from AIB to Ulster Bank

Options
  • 25-06-2013 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Due to AIB raising their banking fees yet again I can no longer afford to stay with them. Im already spending too much every quarter even with watching how i am using my a/c for example I am taking the cash I need for the week on pay day to cut down charges.
    Anyway....I am just wondering has anyone else made the move to Ulster Bank? Is it an easy move to make? Will I have any interruptions in my direct debits or wages? Does the whole moving process take long?
    I applied online today for opening account and id like to know these things before i send back the forms they are sending out to me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 rbniner

UB introducing fees shortly too. PTSB have an option to avoid fees though

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭snypers12

rbniner wrote: »
    UB introducing fees shortly too. PTSB have an option to avoid fees though
    Is it not just a set €4 a month fee with UB? With no charges per transaction, DDs etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭gawker

It's €4 to start with, but I'd be pretty certain that will rise just as it did with AIB. I just switched to PTSB a few weeks ago from Ulster Bank and it's the exact save good level of service, without any fees. Would recommend.

The idea of paying for a current account, without getting anything extra for it, was just not on for me.

gawker wrote: »
    It's €4 to start with, but I'd be pretty certain that will rise just as it did with AIB. I just switched to PTSB a few weeks ago from Ulster Bank and it's the exact save good level of service, without any fees. Would recommend.

The idea of paying for a current account, without getting anything extra for it, was just not on for me.
    Ya i know what you mean. I feel exactly the same. Iv just been looking on their site and it seems to be a better deal all right. Was it a big ordeal to change over? Had you any interruptions with anything? did it take long to switch? Think ill go with ptsb instead

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭gawker

snypers12 wrote: »
    Ya i know what you mean. I feel exactly the same. Iv just been looking on their site and it seems to be a better deal all right. Was it a big ordeal to change over? Had you any interruptions with anything? did it take long to switch? Think ill go with ptsb instead

No big deal at all. I filled out the form on their site. They called back, send out a couple of simple forms and a stamped adressed envelope. I got that back to them and it was all set up within 2 weeks. They also pulled all my direct debits and standing orders across for me, so zero hassle to be honest.

God I sound like a PTSB advert. I swear I don't work for them! :)

• Advertisement

No big deal at all. I filled out the form on their site. They called back, send out a couple of simple forms and a stamped adressed envelope. I got that back to them and it was all set up within 2 weeks. They also pulled all my direct debits and standing orders across for me, so zero hassle to be honest.

Haha! You kinda do! :P
    Sounds good. Alot less hastle than what I thought. Will probably go with them so. Thanks for your advice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Is it free to bank with the Credit Union? Some of these have visa debit cards, is there any reason not to drop the banks for a credit union now?

Good point. Don't think my local one has debit cards but if they did I'd go straight for them. I can see this happening on the future. I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd rather supports the credit unions

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I don't believe any of the Irish CU's have proper debit cards yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Haha! You kinda do! :P
    Sounds good. Alot less hastle than what I thought. Will probably go with them so. Thanks for your advice

PTSB are good, I moved to them after Ulster had their IT meltdown. Nice online app, no fees if you meet their basic criteria.

Two things I found worse than UB though:
    - PTSB adds a charge for debit card payments abroad (amazon.com etc. cost €0.45 or similar to process, more expensive purchases may cost more)
    - UB had better savings options for instant access regular saver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

Due to AIB raising their banking fees yet again

What are the new fees?

soirish wrote: »
    What are the new fees?

The main one that will affect me is the use if laser/ debit card for atm or point of sale transaction has gone from 20c to 35c. I no it doesn't sound like much but they really add up at the current 20c. Not waiting round to see my fees after the increase

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

Just found this.

Not promoting anything here but Skrill may be a good option. They don't charge anything for paying at retailers.

soirish wrote: »
    Just found this.

So it's 20c plus the 1% commision ? That's a joke. I dunno where I was gettin the 35c from. Either way there just gettin way to greedy now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

So it's 20c plus the 1% commision ? That's a joke. I dunno where I was gettin the 35c from. Either way there just gettin way to greedy now
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85233992&postcount=1
    The fees link to are the present ones. the 1% only applies to non-euro transaction commission. You're getting the 35c which will come into effect on August from here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85233992&postcount=1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

As above, no issues, I just had to write to payroll and the child benefit dept and give them my new details for credits.

I have no DDs just payees so I just took a screen grab of my details form BOI and copied them into PTSB. Took an hour at most.

Ok so iv gone with PTSB everything will be sorted Friday. Has anyone a rough idea on how much I will need to leave AIB for closing my account? Will it be the equivalant of fees for a quarter?

they will post the bill to you and then charge you to pay it (35c credit fee!)

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    they will post the bill to you and then charge you to pay it (35c credit fee!)

Jus typical they charge to pay the damn thing! Any idea what they charge to close an account tho? Jus so I can b prepared

I asked how much had i racked up in fees they couldn't tell me, said just wait for the notification and then lodge the money. They will close the account fully as soon as they get the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Internal A

moving myself from BOI to Ulster Bank. think they are the best as I looked at all the others offerings. UB give serious benefits for only 10 per month. I was paying about 100 a year with BOI's fees and getting nothing. With my new account I get free phone insurance, would be 144 otherwise plus good discounts on fights, hotels and other benefits. getting their credit card too as it gives good terms. just waiting to see how they are with customer service if anything goes wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Internal A wrote: »
    moving myself from BOI to Ulster Bank. think they are the best as I looked at all the others offerings. UB give serious benefits for only 10 per month. I was paying about 100 a year with BOI's fees and getting nothing. With my new account I get free phone insurance, would be 144 otherwise plus good discounts on fights, hotels and other benefits. getting their credit card too as it gives good terms. just waiting to see how they are with customer service if anything goes wrong

I considered them last year myself but the IT debacle followed by paltry offers of compensation (I kept a close eye on the thread that was running here at the time) were enough to put me off.. and then they brought in fees as well.

Still thinking about PTSB but I have everything (loans, credit cards and overdraft) with AIB at the moment and I just worry about the hassle of trying to maintain 2 different banking setups and delays between them etc. It's a pity you can't move EVERYTHING these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Internal A

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I considered them last year myself but the IT debacle followed by paltry offers of compensation (I kept a close eye on the thread that was running here at the time) were enough to put me off.. and then they brought in fees as well.

Still thinking about PTSB but I have everything (loans, credit cards and overdraft) with AIB at the moment and I just worry about the hassle of trying to maintain 2 different banking setups and delays between them etc. It's a pity you can't move EVERYTHING these days.
    I had my reluctance too about switching but the two people I live with are UB and have had no further problems. In terms of compensation, no other bank would have provided better compensation...

All banks are bringing in fees so you just have to see whats the best offer for the fees you are paying, BOI was charging me a lot just for using their account, and for just 20 euro more I get all the same use and phone insurance...

In terms of transferring everything, you can transfer everything, apart from your loan to UB. all credit card debt can be brought over when applying for a new account. UB offer an overdraft also. But i agree it can be annoying switching.

Advertisement