Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upstairs leak

Options
  • 25-06-2013 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭

Guys,

Upstairs landlord decided to plumb in their machine rather than get a plumber so mid dinner preparation a flow of water started down the wall of my kitchen resulting in blowing our extractor fan and pouring over the cooker, counters etc.

I managed to get upstairs and turn off their water for them

My question is what happens next?

It's renters there an I own my apartment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

RiseToMe wrote: »
    Guys,

Upstairs landlord decided to plumb in their machine rather than get a plumber so mid dinner preparation a flow of water started down the wall of my kitchen resulting in blowing our extractor fan and pouring over the cooker, counters etc.

I managed to get upstairs and turn off their water for them

My question is what happens next?

It's renters there an I own my apartment.

Record everything. Photos are useful. Get upstairs landlords contact details. Notify management company.

Get an electrician to check out what has blown - there may still be water in contact with your electrics.

Have repairs done and bill upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭khards

Like the other poster says, upstairs will pay via a claim on the landlords house insurance.
    Best to get the landlords insurance details first and speak to their insurance company as they may need to see evidence.

If the Landlord upstairs is not insured then you will need to take the owner to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I don't get how that much water could escape from connecting a washing machine. It is such a simple job, even if you have to plumb a new connection.

Either way upstairs is liable and you basically tell the owner to pay for it. it doesn't matter if he insured or not. Not likely you will need to go to court unless he is being an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

Thanks for your replies.

The washing machine wasn't connected properly so when it was turned on (and the tennent went for a lie down) the entire flow of water "to" the machine poured out onto her floor and down into ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

RiseToMe wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies.

The washing machine wasn't connected properly so when it was turned on (and the tennent went for a lie down) the entire flow of water "to" the machine poured out onto her floor and down into ours.

That doesn't sound right. The flow to the washing machine would just pour straight out if it wasn't connected right. It is much more likely to be the flow out not being secured. I guess if the flow in was loosely connected it could break free and then pour out when the machine was turn on. Be hard to do and not notice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

From what i could figure there was a hot and cold pipe, new machine only needed the cold water. The hot water pipe was left with just the key at the bottom when the machine was pushed back in it must've been pushed open. When the water flow started it flowed out that pipe too.

Advertisement