Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odeon Cinemas Waterford Increase bargain Wednesdays to 6 euro

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭PremierDeise

shinzon wrote: »
    Waterford Jobs isn't my page I got the info from there alright but no that isnt me

Shin

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I understand from someone working there that due to the overheads associated with putting on a film (rental, staff, electricity, etc), unless a sizable portion of the audience spends on popcorn, drinks and sweets that they are going to lose money on the €5 ticket. I do know the profit from showing films is really small and that any cinema is banking on customers spending well on munchies because that's where the real markup is to be found. I suppose the extra €1 off-sets the loss for them. As to why it's only in Waterford, maybe Waterford folks spend less in the shop than elsewhere, and yea the food is really expensive and I'd not fork out for popcorn and coke in the cinema ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Shinzon's spelling and punctuation is too good to be running that page.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Shinzon's spelling and punctuation is too good to be running that page.

I got the information from that page but I do not own it or have anything to do with it, other then liking the page when I was left go from Talk Talk.

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭MOC88

Has any justification been given for a specific increase in only one cinema? I wonder if its a trial for the rest of the country.

Personally, I prefer the cinema in Dungarvan but the odeon is closer so I'll probably keep going to the odeon but I'll just buy zero sweets munchies etc. now whereas I would always get at least a bag before so they'll be making a loss out of me anyway.

So if anyone likes me think this is pretty unfair given their policy targeting Waterford you can do like me and just buy no sweets/drinks etc. I'll still enjoy the film and if I might happen to accidentaly bring in sweets from outside under my jacket....If it was the same everywhere I wouldn't really mind but targeting Waterford, I've seen enough of that lately

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

A bottle of Coke, popcorn and a bag of sweets across the road in Tesco costs about 4 euro, alot better value than the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭b0ardsUser

MOC88 wrote: »
    So if anyone likes me think this is pretty unfair given their policy targeting Waterford you can do like me and just buy no sweets/drinks etc. I'll still enjoy the film and if I might happen to accidentaly bring in sweets from outside under my jacket....If it was the same everywhere I wouldn't really mind but targeting Waterford, I've seen enough of that lately

No-one is forcing you to buy their sweets/drinks/popcorn.

b0ardsUser wrote: »
    No-one is forcing you to buy their sweets/drinks/popcorn.

I didn't say they were, where did you draw that conclusion from????

I'm jsut saying going from the amount of sweets I normally buy they'd better hope that they sell more tickets on a Wednesday to cover that loss. No more meal deals for me.

I didn't say they were, where did you draw that conclusion from????

My apologies, I misinterpreted your post.
    Tom_Cruise wrote: »
    A bottle of Coke, popcorn and a bag of sweets across the road in Tesco costs about 4 euro, alot better value than the cinema.

The coke and popcorn in Tesco is completely different to the coke and popcorn served in the cinema. Personally, I would rather cinema popcorn than a bag of the Manhattan popcorn, likewise the Fanta served from the cinema (Fountain served) is far different to the 500ml bottle you get in Tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

My apologies, I misinterpreted your post.

The coke and popcorn in Tesco is completely different to the coke and popcorn served in the cinema. Personally, I would rather cinema popcorn than a bag of the Manhattan popcorn, likewise the Fanta served from the cinema (Fountain served) is far different to the 500ml bottle you get in Tesco.

I never said they were the same, but yeah i do enjoy the cinema popcorn alot more, i just dont enjoy paying 10 euro + for goodies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

im shaking my fist now

I got a response from odeon on this, just standard business nonsense and doesn't address my specific question but take it as you will

"Thank you very much for taking the time to get in touch and we’re sorry for the delay in getting back to you with regard to this issue. ODEON is committed to providing value for money and maintaining a fantastic guest experience. ODEON regularly undergoes price reviews across its portfolio and as a result, from Wednesday 29th May ODEON Waterford’s Bargain Wednesday adult ticket was made available at the new price of €6 when booking in cinema, still offering a fantastic saving of up to €3.95 on adult ticket prices and offers our customers what we believe is value for money versus other paid for leisure time experiences.

We have made this change to ensure that we can continue to offer the quality and range of films we know our Guest's want to see. ODEON Waterford still offers excellent value for money with our Bargain Wednesday retail offer, great family deals and ODEON Première Club which gives continuous savings throughout the year."

Shin

I got a response from odeon on this, just standard business nonsense and doesn't address my specific question but take it as you will

Shin

They have their real "Internal/behind closed doors" reason and the "this is what we tell the public" reason. Really, they don't really have to justify their price change, it's still cheaper than Mon-Tue/Thurs-Sun.

BoardsUser...........:rolleyes:

They have their real "Internal/behind closed doors" reason and the "this is what we tell the public" reason. Really, they don't really have to justify their price change, it's still cheaper than Mon-Tue/Thurs-Sun.

BoardsUser...........:rolleyes:

Probably summer is coming up and all the kids will got there plus its a week where theres a few good films out and coming out soon. I'd honestly wonder if its going to be rolled in across all the cinemas... if not it'd be shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Kracken

Odeon need to do the following:

Pay for premises (rent, etc)
    Pay the staff for different shifts
    pay for utilities (electricity, water etc)
    Pay for RATES (the whopping great big massive bloody increase in them)

The fact is Waterford is reason its gone up, everyones rates went up and that caused all business owners to increase their costs. The fact is in the Odeon is the only cinema doing this, I commute to dublin during the week and all the other chains don't do any special offers.

If you want to whine and moan then go down to City Hall and get them to reduce the rates...

well.........

Kracken wrote: »

The fact is Waterford is reason its gone up, everyones rates went up and that caused all business owners to increase their costs. The fact is in the Odeon is the only cinema doing this, I commute to dublin during the week and all the other chains don't do any special offers.

If you want to whine and moan then go down to City Hall and get them to reduce the rates...

well.........

No problems, I'm not going to moan or whine just reduce my spend while I'm in there by whatever they're charging for any of their meal deals. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Kracken wrote: »

well.........
    Does anyone know how much they were paying in rates and how much they will be paying?

No problems, I'm not going to moan or whine just reduce my spend while I'm in there by whatever they're charging for any of their meal deals. :)

With respect, the only problem there is that it hurts the business who are providing an honest service while the leeches (city council) keep the rates anyway. having said that, I'd likely do the same more out of necessity at times.

old gregg wrote: »
    With respect, the only problem there is that it hurts the business who are providing an honest service while the leeches (city council) keep the rates anyway. having said that, I'd likely do the same more out of necessity at times.

Well I don't like the regional increase and I'm not going to cut off my nose to spite my face, I like going to the cinema, hopefully they'll see sense and reverse this decision when their numbers drop(probably won't but if I just act as I have done before I'd just be a whinging hypocrite). If they close down it won't be because of a rates increase it'll be because they lost any goodwill anyone had towards the place by hacking up the prices just in time for Summer. Be careful about posting about the rates outside the politics mega thread you might get banned ;) whether or not it gets mixed up and lost in abortion discussions apparently doesn't matter

crikey that escalated quickly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

I'm assuming they've only increased increased the charge in Waterford because they don't have any competition here. In Limerick, for example, there are two other cinemas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

If the increase is due to rates increasing, that's all they need to say. Someone posted the content of a reply they received from Odeon when they asked about the reason for the price hike in Waterford, and they never mentioned the rates - it would be a very simple thing to explain to their local customers that this is the reason, but they haven't done that. Until or unless they do explain their reasons, it's not unreasonable to ask Odeon why Waterford is their most expensive branch.

The fact that they sell cheaper tickets on a Wednesday is irrelevant, the question is why they charge more for them here than anywhere else.

Why is it people continually post in threads that they have no inclination to contribute to except to take the piss out of and do rolleyes on.

I don't care that its 6 euro tbh it could be a 1000 euro for all I care, im highlighting the fact that there has been an arbitrary decision to increase the price from 5 to 6 euro whilst the pricing in the rest of the group remains the same for the same thing.

I really should know better I guess at this stage. mods feel free to close this as its going nowhere

cheers

shin

I don't live in Waterford but when I saw this pop up in the recent threads I knew that it was going to be someone complaining. Have you took a few seconds as to wonder why the increase was only in one cinema? Did it ever cross your mind that the other cinemas may be able to turn a profit selling tickets at a lower price while Waterford wasn't? Just because one chain can operate at a certain level does not mean that all can which is why it's not uncommon to find items in some chain stores selling for more or less than another.

I don't live in Waterford but when I saw this pop up in the recent threads I knew that it was going to be someone complaining. Have you took a few seconds as to wonder why the increase was only in one cinema? Did it ever cross your mind that the other cinemas may be able to turn a profit selling tickets at a lower price while Waterford wasn't? Just because one chain can operate at a certain level does not mean that all can which is why it's not uncommon to find items in some chain stores selling for more or less than another.

Ridiculous statement tbh, somebody posted above there about limerick and having 2 other cinemas to compete with customers, all it is is an arbitrary decision to increase prices due to no competition in the city, and all were talking about is one day, they seem to be happy with there profits every other day of the week

Shin

So what you're saying is that despite no first hand experience you think none of us have a valid opinion, but you who have never been in the cinema it all seems so obvious. If you had seen the difference in the numbers on a Wednesday before and after the special rate you would understand that if they're not now making a profit on it then they're doomed anyway. Before the special rate there was extremely few people in the on a Wednesday night (5-8 people in the screens I used to watch films in).Yes we see chain stores with higher prices in Waterford regularly enough to understand that, but obviously in your mind we in Waterford can't understand basic business practice here. We have wondered and discussed... but continue to educate us on something you know nothing about and have no experience with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

"Thank you very much for taking the time to get in touch and we’re sorry for the delay in getting back to you with regard to this issue. ODEON is committed to providing value for money and maintaining a fantastic guest experience. ODEON regularly undergoes price reviews across its portfolio and as a result, from Wednesday 29th May ODEON Waterford’s Bargain Wednesday adult ticket was made available at the new price of €6 when booking in cinema, still offering a fantastic saving of up to €3.95 on adult ticket prices and offers our customers what we believe is value for money versus other paid for leisure time experiences.

We have made this change to ensure that we can continue to offer the quality and range of films we know our Guest's want to see. ODEON Waterford still offers excellent value for money with our Bargain Wednesday retail offer, great family deals and ODEON Première Club which gives continuous savings throughout the year."

Shin

Says nothing. Waterford still the only place - rates or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Gadgie wrote: »
    I'm assuming they've only increased increased the charge in Waterford because they don't have any competition here. In Limerick, for example, there are two other cinemas.

The long and the short of it really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

they enjoy a monopoly position the city, if you dont wannt to pay then you can **** off , thats basicly it

Ridiculous statement tbh, somebody posted above there about limerick and having 2 other cinemas to compete with customers, all it is is an arbitrary decision to increase prices due to no competition in the city, and all were talking about is one day, they seem to be happy with there profits every other day of the week

Shin
    So what you're saying is that despite no first hand experience you think none of us have a valid opinion, but you who have never been in the cinema it all seems so obvious. If you had seen the difference in the numbers on a Wednesday before and after the special rate you would understand that if they're not now making a profit on it then they're doomed anyway. Before the special rate there was extremely few people in the on a Wednesday night (5-8 people in the screens I used to watch films in).Yes we see chain stores with higher prices in Waterford regularly enough to understand that, but obviously in your mind we in Waterford can't understand basic business practice here. We have wondered and discussed... but continue to educate us on something you know nothing about and have no experience with.

I may not have been in the cinema but having worked in various ones I know how they operate. You assume that the price increase was done simply to make a little extra money but knowing nothing of the cinemas finances you can't say with any certainty why the ticket price increased. generally when a cinema is in trouble the first thing to go up is the cost of the lowest tickets, this can be the before 5 showings or that one day a week where it's cheap all day. Now you can argue that the reason for the increase is greed and it very may well be but it's just as likely that the cinema is in financial trouble. The cinema back home did something similar, the price of a ticket went up by a euro and everyone complained that this was due to lack of competition and greed. Couple of weeks later and the cinema is closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Just came across this on the stingey people thread in after hours...
    i work in a place where every wednesday its 6 Euro entry (7.95-9.95 every other day) and boy this is when the stingy people come out

It used to be 5 euro on wednesdays but after a price review it was put up 1 euro to 6 euro.

People where giving out that they had to pay 1 euro extra some even emailing head offices, some bycotting, some even getting pissy at workers, i even heard of someone crying cause they didnt have enough money lol

i once served a customer who bought something for 5.99 and handed my 6 euro and i didnt have any 0.1c's in my til so i said 'im sorry i have no 0.1cs in my til' and the customer said i cant be without 1 cent and stood there demanding he get his 1 cent change so i gave him 5 cents and he went off (tight git)

Theres people who come only on wednesdays and some are generally snotty precious rich ***** who are plan stupied and think the world owes them.

I also find people stingy who bring in there own foods (cheap microwave popcorn, 40c bottles of coke etc)

I also know someone that works 4 jobs and eats cheap cans of beans etc for dinner and gives out when he doesnt get enough hours for the week

SOME PEOPLE MAKE YOU WANT TO KILL. NO WONDER HITLER AND THE LIKES EXCISTED lol

Advertisement