Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odeon Cinemas Waterford Increase bargain Wednesdays to 6 euro

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭MOC88

I may not have been in the cinema but having worked in various ones I know how they operate. You assume that the price increase was done simply to make a little extra money but knowing nothing of the cinemas finances you can't say with any certainty why the ticket price increased. generally when a cinema is in trouble the first thing to go up is the cost of the lowest tickets, this can be the before 5 showings or that one day a week where it's cheap all day. Now you can argue that the reason for the increase is greed and it very may well be but it's just as likely that the cinema is in financial trouble. The cinema back home did something similar, the price of a ticket went up by a euro and everyone complained that this was due to lack of competition and greed. Couple of weeks later and the cinema is closed.

Again you're quoting your experience of the situation which is ... none. You've never been to the cinema in question. I've been in quite a few cinemas over the years and the crowds are not that much different, yet you feel prepared to come in and lecture everyone in here? If they were trying to save money they would cut the showings earlier on in the day where very few people turn up. After seeing price differences and stock differences between many shops in Waterford and other areas generally it does come down to greed. I'm going to follow the trend here and not try and justify every price difference like you seem to do. Get off your high horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭b0ardsUser

MOC88 wrote: »
    Get off your high horse.

Actually, having worked (~4 years) in said cinema what Darko is saying is pretty accurate...
    If they were trying to save money they would cut the showings earlier on in the day where very few people turn up.

Yep that is true however, that is generally a time when people with disabilities come in to see films as its generally a quiet time.
    After seeing price differences and stock differences between many shops in Waterford and other areas generally it does come down to greed.

It doesn't come down to greed. The argument that "they have a monopoly in Waterford, they can charge what they want" isn't true as you will find the price of sweets/popcorn/tickets is the same in a Dublin Odeon as it is in Waterford (obviously with the exception of the €5.00/€6.00).

If you believe that the prices are strategical implemented based on which cinema has a monopoly in that region you're very mistaken. Ireland's has 10 Odeon cinemas compared to 120+ in the UK so their focus on Ireland wouldn't be as big compared to the UK. Likewise there is a handful of Odeons in Italy, Germany and Spain. All Odeon's pricing structures are going to be painted with the same brush as per its country, I would guess that the jump from €5.00 to €6.00 was a trial, as Waterford is the strongest non-Dublin Odeon cienma (in terms of admission).

Regarding the €5.00 to €6.00 jump, if I was to take an educated guess, it will be either rolled out to €6.00 across the other cinemas in due course, or Waterford will revert back to the €5.00. I would be very surprised if it remained the same as it currently is.

Again you're quoting your experience of the situation which is ... none. You've never been to the cinema in question. I've been in quite a few cinemas over the years and the crowds are not that much different, yet you feel prepared to come in and lecture everyone in here? If they were trying to save money they would cut the showings earlier on in the day where very few people turn up. After seeing price differences and stock differences between many shops in Waterford and other areas generally it does come down to greed. I'm going to follow the trend here and not try and justify every price difference like you seem to do. Get off your high horse.

You are basing your entire argument on what you see with your own eyes. Forgive me if I don't think that's the most scientific or realistic manner of judging success. You saw the crowds are no different in Waterford compared to where? I take it when you make a statement like you did thAt you are aware of the running costs if these different cinemas as remember these costs will be drastically different from cinema to cinema. As for cutting the early showings, well that may not be up to the cinema. Most distributors insist in a certain number of daily showings, start cutting back in the agreed number and you are in serious trouble.

I'm not trying to justify any price increase merely pointing out that saying its because of greed is you jumping to conclusions. You have no proof that this decision was due to greed but are quick to make the assumption and attack the cinema. I'm merely pointing out that it may not be the case, running a cinema is expensive and costs are drastically different from one place to another. I have experience of working in various cinemas and have seen how they operate. They are a costly business to run and generally if a cinema wants to rip you off they increase the cost of food and drinks a little. All that said its obvious that you are the expert given your first hand knowledge of how cinemas work, after all you've been in more than one and seen similar crowds so it must all be down to greed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

running a cinema is expensive and costs are drastically different from one place to another

So you're saying that Waterford City is the ONLY one which costs more to operate?:rolleyes:

7upfree wrote: »
    So you're saying that Waterford City is the ONLY one which costs more to operate?:rolleyes:

Rent of premises would be different alright, bigger cinemas would have higher running costs (electricity, heating, insurance etc...)

• Advertisement

7upfree wrote: »

Where did I say that? Prices differ from cinema to cinema and while chains generally want to keep a universal pricing structure, if one cinema is struggling then prices there will increase. I'd much prefer to see the price of tickets go up a euro than for my local cinema to close.

Where did I say that? Prices differ from cinema to cinema and while chains generally want to keep a universal pricing structure, if one cinema is struggling then prices there will increase. I'd much prefer to see the price of tickets go up a euro than for my local cinema to close.

Odeon prices are the same across the board (with the exception of the assumed trial €5.00/€6.00 ticket).

b0ardsUser wrote: »
    Actually, having worked (~4 years) in said cinema what Darko is saying is pretty accurate...

He can get off his high horse in relation to assuming he knows everything about a cinema he has never been in. Sure some pints are valid but why come in to act in a patronizing manner... most of what he says is common sense in a everything is for a reason other than to make more money. Price increases aren't always because of costs.

Yep that is true however, that is generally a time when people with disabilities come in to see films as its generally a quiet time.
    Isn't there a specific film each week for those users? Besides the cinema is a profit making enterprise it has no reason to make multiple showings available for a very small segment of the market. To cut costs they would have cut screenings its nonsensical to do otherwise.

It doesn't come down to greed. The argument that "they have a monopoly in Waterford, they can charge what they want" isn't true as you will find the price of sweets/popcorn/tickets is the same in a Dublin Odeon as it is in Waterford (obviously with the exception of the €5.00/€6.00).

People argue continuously that Dublin is more expensive so why are we paying more than them? Competition and lack thereof I would reckon. But you make a point that the prices are the same so its not down to greed except for a price difference... the consistency in prices is out the window so that would make your point valid. People choose not to buy the overpriced sweets as it is, any further increases would reduce the amount sold and impact negatively on money taken in. The cinema in Dungarvan has similar prices but I find it a much better experience especially considering it could run such films as the Hobbit at the higher frames per second which the Waterford ODeon doesn;t have.

If you believe that the prices are strategical implemented based on which cinema has a monopoly in that region you're very mistaken. Ireland's has 10 Odeon cinemas compared to 120+ in the UK so their focus on Ireland wouldn't be as big compared to the UK. Likewise there is a handful of Odeons in Italy, Germany and Spain. All Odeon's pricing structures are going to be painted with the same brush as per its country, I would guess that the jump from €5.00 to €6.00 was a trial, as Waterford is the strongest non-Dublin Odeon cienma (in terms of admission).

Every business is run on a competition based analysis if a business isn't pricing this way then they really aren't living in the real world. I'm sure there are managers whose primary an d only concern is the pricing in Ireland --- to write off any market as unworthy of attention is insane especially given the high cost of investment in the first place. We can see that the price increase as a sign of regional targeting of monopoly to increase revenue. The only reason to avoid this would be if you're part of a chain offering the exact same service which would greatly annoy people... Yes it is a possibility that I brought up in my posts but unless there is a change in Waterford or elsewhere I'm going to assume its not.

As for the U.K. market have you ever been there? ie. in London there are plenty of cinemas that offer monthly deals ie £20/30 for a full month of going to the cinema as much as you want. The cinema in the O2 and the ones in Leicester square (notoriously expensive) I found to be on par with prices but better value as the sizes were proportionally larger ie. a large here would be a medium over there at best. They are both located in London which is considered one of the most expensive places on Earth.

Regarding the €5.00 to €6.00 jump, if I was to take an educated guess, it will be either rolled out to €6.00 across the other cinemas in due course, or Waterford will revert back to the €5.00. I would be very surprised if it remained the same as it currently is.

Yes, I would hope it moves back, but it won't be because they felt it was unfair but rather the reaction from people.

You are basing your entire argument on what you see with your own eyes. Forgive me if I don't think that's the most scientific or realistic manner of judging success. You saw the crowds are no different in Waterford compared to where? I take it when you make a statement like you did thAt you are aware of the running costs if these different cinemas as remember these costs will be drastically different from cinema to cinema. As for cutting the early showings, well that may not be up to the cinema. Most distributors insist in a certain number of daily showings, start cutting back in the agreed number and you are in serious trouble.
    It's actually quite a good method, a lot of market research would be by eye if it wasn't so expensive. I find not only by eye but amongst everyone I know who would previously go several times a week changed to zero and then to once with the deal. As I live in teh area and go regularly enough on irregular days I can clearly see there is little discrepency in the people showing up especially early in the day. Dungarvan, Wexford, Kilkenny, I've also been in Mahon but the comparison can end with that because Mahon isn't comparable to any of the others in size or crowds. Maybe they can't cut shows back but if they couldn't turn a profit without the euro increase they are quite literally ####ed whether they keep it or git rid of it. Even if 600 people more turn up on a Wednesday --- a fairly reasonable figure it really is only 600 euro more and if a business that employs more than ten people has to rely on 600e to make a profit or avoid a loss they aren't a profit making company. I can't imagine that the rent is drastically high when you consider the property values in Waterford for the last few years. Well as far as screenings I know they check to see if there are people in a screen before they decide to run it... if not they'll turn it off so forget contracts there.... besides anyone can fudge those numbers.

I'm not trying to justify any price increase merely pointing out that saying its because of greed is you jumping to conclusions. You have no proof that this decision was due to greed but are quick to make the assumption and attack the cinema. I'm merely pointing out that it may not be the case, running a cinema is expensive and costs are drastically different from one place to another. I have experience of working in various cinemas and have seen how they operate. They are a costly business to run and generally if a cinema wants to rip you off they increase the cost of food and drinks a little. All that said its obvious that you are the expert given your first hand knowledge of how cinemas work, after all you've been in more than one and seen similar crowds so it must all be down to greed.

Who said it was a quick conclusion, I clearly took enough time to read about the price increase and post my feelings on the subject. I have no proof but neither do you. I see a lot of price increases little of which is to do with anything other than profitability. Yeah they could and risk losing even more money than this venture has probably cost them and continues to cost them. It might even work if there wasn't a tesco right across the road selling the same products for a third of the price (besides they kind of are ripping em off already with the prices). Oh well if you've worked in several cinemas normal business logic doesn't apply- Odeon isn't a cinema trying to make a profit it is a cinema increasing prices for... the... ?? customer??? Simply its about profit - there is no way a 1 euro increase on a special discounted increase will turn a business profitable, if you lose 1 in 5 people you're back at square one with less people to buy your products. Yes its a costly business very few businesses aren't--- get into private security forces like they deploy in Iraq and Afghanistan etc. if you want high profitability margins.

Honestly, I'm pretty annoyed after going to the cinema for years and telling everyone what a great experience it is to see it in big screen and what a waste of a good film downloading films are... and then they #### over the loyal customer. Granted they owe me nothing and I expected nothing, but as far as I'm concerned this a regional price variation to do with profitability. Well even so the cinema has lost all goodwill from me. I couldn't care less if I'm the pariah here I'll do what I feel is right in any given situation rather than trying to justify a price increase to one area.

He can get off his high horse in relation to assuming he knows everything about a cinema he has never been in. Sure some pints are valid but why come in to act in a patronizing manner... most of what he says is common sense in a everything is for a reason other than to make more money. Price increases aren't always because of costs.

All this high horse stuff is bollocks. I never claimed to know everything about the cinema but having worked in a number of them including an Odeon cinema I know how they operate. You assume the price increase is due to greed but this is based on no real information other than what you observed. Before the price increase the cinema could very easily have been operating at a loss during those showings and while the price increase may put off a few of the cheap skates it may also help the cinema break even during this period.
    It's actually quite a good method, a lot of market research would be by eye if it wasn't so expensive. I find not only by eye but amongst everyone I know who would previously go several times a week changed to zero and then to once with the deal. As I live in teh area and go regularly enough on irregular days I can clearly see there is little discrepency in the people showing up especially early in the day. Dungarvan, Wexford, Kilkenny, I've also been in Mahon but the comparison can end with that because Mahon isn't comparable to any of the others in size or crowds. Maybe they can't cut shows back but if they couldn't turn a profit without the euro increase they are quite literally ####ed whether they keep it or git rid of it. Even if 600 people more turn up on a Wednesday --- a fairly reasonable figure it really is only 600 euro more and if a business that employs more than ten people has to rely on 600e to make a profit or avoid a loss they aren't a profit making company. I can't imagine that the rent is drastically high when you consider the property values in Waterford for the last few years. Well as far as screenings I know they check to see if there are people in a screen before they decide to run it... if not they'll turn it off so forget contracts there.... besides anyone can fudge those numbers.

So based on what you saw you could give a comprehensive overview of the numbers attending screenings on a daily basis in the cinema. Would normally a cinema would look at how many tickets they sell and base decisions on that but it seems your keen eye is just as good. Could you give the average number of patrons in attendance across all screens on an average Wednesday?

Running a cinema is all about keeping costs down and running early morning screenings and cheap tickets can add to the burden. You assume the 1 euro increase is pure greed based on the fact that other cinemas locally don't need to raise the prices. I assume then that you know the rental cost, cost of bulbs for projectors, electricity, wages, etc, etc for all these cinemas and know that they are comparable. As I said the extra 1 euro may be the difference between them losing money on a Wednesday during these times and breaking even. They may do a roaring trade the rest of the week but it's no good operating at a loss once a week.

Who said it was a quick conclusion, I clearly took enough time to read about the price increase and post my feelings on the subject. I have no proof but neither do you. I see a lot of price increases little of which is to do with anything other than profitability. Yeah they could and risk losing even more money than this venture has probably cost them and continues to cost them. It might even work if there wasn't a tesco right across the road selling the same products for a third of the price (besides they kind of are ripping em off already with the prices). Oh well if you've worked in several cinemas normal business logic doesn't apply- Odeon isn't a cinema trying to make a profit it is a cinema increasing prices for... the... ?? customer??? Simply its about profit - there is no way a 1 euro increase on a special discounted increase will turn a business profitable, if you lose 1 in 5 people you're back at square one with less people to buy your products. Yes its a costly business very few businesses aren't--- get into private security forces like they deploy in Iraq and Afghanistan etc. if you want high profitability margins.

I've worked in an Odeon and know how they operate. One chain does not raise the price of a ticket unless it's in trouble. They try to keep ticket prices the same everywhere though it's not possible in some of it's larger locations where rent prices can be astronomical. I know that recently the Omniplex in Galway was rebraneded as an IMC cinema. Before this occurred one of the avenues they looked at to increase revenue was to increase the price of the student tickets by 50 cent and the other cheaper tickets by 50 cent to a euro.

You seem to be missing the point and assuming that the 1 euro is about profit. As I've said it may be down to them looking at the day and seeing a trend where they are losing money. They may make a profit every other day of the week but realised that a 1 euro increase was the difference between breaking even and running at a loss.

Honestly, I'm pretty annoyed after going to the cinema for years and telling everyone what a great experience it is to see it in big screen and what a waste of a good film downloading films are... and then they #### over the loyal customer. Granted they owe me nothing and I expected nothing, but as far as I'm concerned this a regional price variation to do with profitability. Well even so the cinema has lost all goodwill from me. I couldn't care less if I'm the pariah here I'll do what I feel is right in any given situation rather than trying to justify a price increase to one area.

How are they screwing over the loyal customers? again your entire argument is based on assumptions. Mine is based on a lot of assumptions but I'm not instantly jumping to the conclusion that it's all about greed. If the cinema really was greedy and wanted to make a profit then surely it would have been 1 euro increase on the price of every ticket and not just one day. I wonder how happy you would be if tomorrow the cinema closed down it's doors which is quite common these days. I know I'd sooner give them the benefit of the doubt rather than bad mouth them on the internet and further turn people off going there.

• Advertisement

I don't think he acted in such a patronizing manner...

Isn't there a specific film each week for those users?
    I believe you are thinking of the 'parent and baby' + 'senior' showings (I'm only assuming they still do them, I've been out of the country for a year now.
    Besides the cinema is a profit making enterprise it has no reason to make multiple showings available for a very small segment of the market. To cut costs they would have cut screenings its nonsensical to do otherwise.

The parent and baby screenings have been reasonably successful, it's also an opportunity for a parent see a film in a baby friendly environment (sound lowered down, lights dimly on). The cost of running those shows are very minimal as they would usually only require one staff member, usually that member would set up the shop for the day while tending to both the parent/baby + senior screening.

People argue continuously that Dublin is more expensive so why are we paying more than them? Competition and lack thereof I would reckon..

I've already thrown in my opinion regarding the 5-6 Euro ticket price, you can refer to that in case you missed it...

The cinema in Dungarvan has similar prices but I find it a much better experience especially considering it could run such films as the Hobbit at the higher frames per second which the Waterford ODeon doesn;t have

Actually, Odeon Waterford does... The high format Hobbit was not available to all the Odeons. This would be a distributor issue and outside the control of the cinema.http://www.odeoncinemas.ie/fanatic/film/hobbit_HFR (see the 3rd and 4th last point)
    Every business is run on a competition based analysis if a business isn't pricing this way then they really aren't living in the real world. I'm sure there are managers whose primary an d only concern is the pricing in Ireland --- to write off any market as unworthy of attention is insane especially given the high cost of investment in the first place. We can see that the price increase as a sign of regional targeting of monopoly to increase revenue. The only reason to avoid this would be if you're part of a chain offering the exact same service which would greatly annoy people... Yes it is a possibility that I brought up in my posts but unless there is a change in Waterford or elsewhere I'm going to assume its not.

Well yes, they would have management in Ireland... But whether the pricing structure is prepared in Ireland or the UK, I can't verify... I would put my money on it, that's it done in the UK. But prices of sweets etc is the same across the board, with the exception of the 5-6 euro, which I already addressed.
    As for the U.K. market have you ever been there? ie. in London there are plenty of cinemas that offer monthly deals ie £20/30 for a full month of going to the cinema as much as you want. The cinema in the O2 and the ones in Leicester square (notoriously expensive) I found to be on par with prices but better value as the sizes were proportionally larger ie. a large here would be a medium over there at best. They are both located in London which is considered one of the most expensive places on Earth.

Actually, I live in the UK, and to be honest the UK is just as expensive as Ireland... I believe you are referring to the Cineworld deal where you pay a monthly figure and go to as many films as you want. I am fortunate enough to be living in an area that has a Cineworld cinema. Why can't Odeon offer a deal like this? No idea, my guess is that Cineworld have a very clever deal running with distributors.

Forgetting Cineworld's monthly deal for a monment, let's just look at ticket pricing.

Pacific Rim 3D 15-07-2013

Odeon Waterford 12.15 Euro
    Vue UK 9.70 GBP 11.22 Euro
    Cineworld UK 9.40 GBP 10.88 Euro

Also, the minimum wage in the UK (taking the conversion rate into account) is lower than the Irish minimum wage (about 1.20-1.30 Euro lower). So the prices are reasonably the same.

Food is definitely more expensive in the UK, I don't have figures but it's definitely more expensive compared to Odeon + other Irish chains I've been to.
    Yes, I would hope it moves back, but it won't be because they felt it was unfair but rather the reaction from people.

You're very pessimistic... I would put money on it changing in due course.

All this high horse stuff is bollocks. I never claimed to know everything about the cinema but having worked in a number of them including an Odeon cinema I know how they operate. You assume the price increase is due to greed but this is based on no real information other than what you observed. Before the price increase the cinema could very easily have been operating at a loss during those showings and while the price increase may put off a few of the cheap skates it may also help the cinema break even during this period.
    Yes what I observed is drastically falling attendances and then they stopped falling... were static and then they increased the price on the daily offer by a euro. The high horse stuff is you disagreed with most posters in the thread despite no experience firsthand or secondhand of the cinema.

So based on what you saw you could give a comprehensive overview of the numbers attending screenings on a daily basis in the cinema. Would normally a cinema would look at how many tickets they sell and base decisions on that but it seems your keen eye is just as good. Could you give the average number of patrons in attendance across all screens on an average Wednesday?
    Well up to now they were doing their prices on a national level, now the prices in Waterford are higher. Now its probably a trial for a rpice hike across the country to see if more profit can be made, granted you may not think more profit is more greed, I do, so I'm going to assume that's where our disagreement is.

Two form my most recent Wednesday, me and firend early in the day... but I'm not basing it off that but a general amount of numbers. Everything you base it off is complete assumption, granted I might not have figures and statistics but when you see the same faces time and again in the same place you know when some people stop going. 3 years ago the place was packed 3 times a week now it is only the odd time, the numbers settled about 8-9 months back. There was a jump on the Wednesdays when the offer came in. Btw I generally don't go on the Wednesday evenings. Tell me if you go to a pub could you estimate whether the amount of people was smaller,bigger, or the same as the last week - if it was smaller over 2 years in a row and then generally the same for nearly a year I'm sure you'd recognize it.
    Running a cinema is all about keeping costs down and running early morning screenings and cheap tickets can add to the burden. You assume the 1 euro increase is pure greed based on the fact that other cinemas locally don't need to raise the prices. I assume then that you know the rental cost, cost of bulbs for projectors, electricity, wages, etc, etc for all these cinemas and know that they are comparable. As I said the extra 1 euro may be the difference between them losing money on a Wednesday during these times and breaking even. They may do a roaring trade the rest of the week but it's no good operating at a loss once a week.

No they most definitely are not doing a roaring trade on the rest of the week, this you would see if you were living here and this is why your posts irked me. Anyone living in Waterford could tell you that. Part of the reason we're so annoyed is Waterford is the absoloute worst hit area in the country bar none for unemployment and now we can;t even get the same prices as every other county.
    I've worked in an Odeon and know how they operate. One chain does not raise the price of a ticket unless it's in trouble. They try to keep ticket prices the same everywhere though it's not possible in some of it's larger locations where rent prices can be astronomical. I know that recently the Omniplex in Galway was rebraneded as an IMC cinema. Before this occurred one of the avenues they looked at to increase revenue was to increase the price of the student tickets by 50 cent and the other cheaper tickets by 50 cent to a euro.
    I'd doubt the rent prices in Waterford (one of the lowest property market value areas is). If you're point is valid they've made a seriously big mistake and annoyed a lot of their customer base as I said if it reaches 20% they're in worse trouble than they were before.

How are they screwing over the loyal customers? again your entire argument is based on assumptions. Mine is based on a lot of assumptions but I'm not instantly jumping to the conclusion that it's all about greed. If the cinema really was greedy and wanted to make a profit then surely it would have been 1 euro increase on the price of every ticket and not just one day. I wonder how happy you would be if tomorrow the cinema closed down it's doors which is quite common these days. I know I'd sooner give them the benefit of the doubt rather than bad mouth them on the internet and further turn people off going there.

By having an area specific price.

Every company wants to increase profit (other than some extremely rare organisations run by some great people). To me this is greed--- probably the wrong word in this context but it is a try to increase revenue at the worst possible time for people in Waterford. I'm not turning people off going their, I gave my views and people are entitled to consider them. Should I only offer my views when they're positive? I'll be honest I like the cinema and I like most of the people working there I don't want it to close down but for #### sake one price for Waterford one for everywhere else. Do you know how much Waterford has been targeted for cuts and avoided for any investment recently. It's a trend screw Waterford over so I'm pissed, boarders are pissed, facebookers are pissed, everyone is pissed off. If they were going to increase the prices for survivability an hours market research would have told them this increase was a bad idea.

Taken from a Facebook post on the Odeon Cinemas Facebook page
    To confirm from the from Wednesday 29th May at ODEON Waterford and from the 5th July ODEON across the majority of ODEON cinemas in Ireland, a small increase to the Bargain Wednesday ticket price was introduced, it will now be offered at €6 when booking in-cinema

Now, I suspected it was a trial run...

I don't think he acted in such a patronizing manner...
    I'll disagree. Galway poster comes in and posts about Waterford issue... tells most of the thread posters there completely wrong and illogical despite not having ever stepped foot inside the cinema in question.

I believe you are thinking of the 'parent and baby' + 'senior' showings (I'm only assuming they still do them, I've been out of the country for a year now.
    Acessible I think they call it - might be wrong - if not they should probably introduce it and cut screenings, where possible, to save money.
    The parent and baby screenings have been reasonably successful, it's also an opportunity for a parent see a film in a baby friendly environment (sound lowered down, lights dimly on). The cost of running those shows are very minimal as they would usually only require one staff member, usually that member would set up the shop for the day while tending to both the parent/baby + senior screening.
    And I thank God they introduced it to give the rest of us a chance to see a film in relative peace

I've already thrown in my opinion regarding the 5-6 Euro ticket price, you can refer to that in case you missed it...
    Well I'm inclined to agree tbh but if it is reversed as a nationwide trial it is because of the backlash not an optimistic (pessimistic for the cinemas future) outlook

Actually, Odeon Waterford does... The high format Hobbit was not available to all the Odeons. This would be a distributor issue and outside the control of the cinema.http://www.odeoncinemas.ie/fanatic/film/hobbit_HFR (see the 3rd and 4th last point)
    Nope it didn't
    Which cinemas will show The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey in HFR?
    The HFR 3D format is available on certain performances in the following cinemas:

Blanchardstown
    Limerick
    Point Village
    Well yes, they would have management in Ireland... But whether the pricing structure is prepared in Ireland or the UK, I can't verify... I would put my money on it, that's it done in the UK. But prices of sweets etc is the same across the board, with the exception of the 5-6 euro, which I already addressed.
    But that price difference is the only contentious issue here nothing else...
    Actually, I live in the UK, and to be honest the UK is just as expensive as Ireland... I believe you are referring to the Cineworld deal where you pay a monthly figure and go to as many films as you want. I am fortunate enough to be living in an area that has a Cineworld cinema. Why can't Odeon offer a deal like this? No idea, my guess is that Cineworld have a very clever deal running with distributors.

Forgetting Cineworld's monthly deal for a monment, let's just look at ticket pricing.

Pacific Rim 3D 15-07-2013

Odeon Waterford 12.15 Euro
    Vue UK 9.70 GBP 11.22 Euro
    Cineworld UK 9.40 GBP 10.88 Euro
    Birmingingham if my guess is right, embed much?

I don't feel like ignoring that deal because its brought about by competition. It's probably the same as SAAS get someone registered and they're hooked - you;re also guaranteed an income p granted you may take a hit but the probability is that you;ll make money over the course of a year - say its £20 a month then you're guaranteed £240 without any extras being purchased which are more likely because you don't actually feel like you're paying to go to the cinema - same issue as buying stuff with a credit card.

[/QUOTE]

Also, the minimum wage in the UK (taking the conversion rate into account) is lower than the Irish minimum wage (about 1.20-1.30 Euro lower). So the prices are reasonably the same.

Food is definitely more expensive in the UK, I don't have figures but it's definitely more expensive compared to Odeon + other Irish chains I've been to.

I think the food portions are much larger though despite the size names. As I've said itys been about the same price for me to go to the o2 and cinemas in leicester square buying the same stuff for relatively the same price.
    Plus whatever about the minumum wage over 30% of people in Waterford are unemployed so 1 in 3 now has an income of 188e(?) never mind people who are sutdent on fas courses or the parasitical practice of jobridge.
    You're very pessimistic... I would put money on it changing in due course.
    Probably am in this situation tbf. But yeah I could see it changing just annoying to see Waterford get hit again and again with this rubbish.

Taken from a Facebook post on the Odeon Cinemas Facebook page

Now, I suspected it was a trial run...

Yeah it seems it was wish they'd do it somewhere else... like why Waterford first. Anyway I'd say there'll be drop all over the country - its easier to justify spending 5e to go see a film rather than 6e

I'll disagree. Galway poster comes in and posts about Waterford issue... tells most of the thread posters there completely wrong and illogical despite not having ever stepped foot inside the cinema in question.
    Yes what I observed is drastically falling attendances and then they stopped falling... were static and then they increased the price on the daily offer by a euro. The high horse stuff is you disagreed with most posters in the thread despite no experience firsthand or secondhand of the cinema.

Obviously, you need to be from an area in order to have an opinion of something or to offer some rational alternate opinion. It's why people outside of Dublin can't offer an opinion of something occurring there.

I never disagreed I merely pointed out that price increases such as this usually occur for more reasons than simply greed. The fact that Odeon has made it nationwide makes me fear for their future. 1 euro is a small token increase though given the way yourself and others have reacted you'd swear the price had doubled.
    Well up to now they were doing their prices on a national level, now the prices in Waterford are higher. Now its probably a trial for a rpice hike across the country to see if more profit can be made, granted you may not think more profit is more greed, I do, so I'm going to assume that's where our disagreement is.

Well you got your wish, the pricing is now the same nationwide. Our disagreement is that you instantly assume that the 1 euro is about greed when it could just as easily be about a business in difficulties trying everything it can to stay open.
    Two form my most recent Wednesday, me and firend early in the day... but I'm not basing it off that but a general amount of numbers. Everything you base it off is complete assumption, granted I might not have figures and statistics but when you see the same faces time and again in the same place you know when some people stop going. 3 years ago the place was packed 3 times a week now it is only the odd time, the numbers settled about 8-9 months back. There was a jump on the Wednesdays when the offer came in. Btw I generally don't go on the Wednesday evenings. Tell me if you go to a pub could you estimate whether the amount of people was smaller,bigger, or the same as the last week - if it was smaller over 2 years in a row and then generally the same for nearly a year I'm sure you'd recognize it.

There's a difference between being able to make a rough estimate in the local pub and in your cinema. The pub is generally one of two rooms and a cursory glance is all you need to get a rough estimate. When it comes to the cinema it's a hell of a lot harder given that there are a number of screens and the only one you can estimate attendance in is the one you are in. You can't say for anywhere near definite how many people are in the screen next door.

I go to the cinema 3 or 4 times a week but would never even attempt to estimate the audience numbers across the various screens. I can tell you that at the late showing on Friday there were less than 20 people at Now You See Me but can't tell you how many people on average were in the other screens.
    No they most definitely are not doing a roaring trade on the rest of the week, this you would see if you were living here and this is why your posts irked me. Anyone living in Waterford could tell you that. Part of the reason we're so annoyed is Waterford is the absoloute worst hit area in the country bar none for unemployment and now we can;t even get the same prices as every other county.

Again you don't know this for sure. Unless you are there every day and have an rough estimate of numbers you could easily be mistaken. If Waterford has been so badly hit then it makes sense that prices of nonessential services will rise, obviously the demand isn't there. I know that if I was struggling due to unemployment and had a family to look after a trip to the cinema would be very low down on my list of things to be spending my money on.
    I'd doubt the rent prices in Waterford (one of the lowest property market value areas is). If you're point is valid they've made a seriously big mistake and annoyed a lot of their customer base as I said if it reaches 20% they're in worse trouble than they were before.

Just because the are has been hit does not mean that rent goes down. A lot of big businesses signed long term leases before the recession and are still tied into them. It's part of the reason that HMV closed. I know a number of cinemas around the country whose rent is the same now as it was in 2007.

Every company wants to increase profit (other than some extremely rare organisations run by some great people). To me this is greed--- probably the wrong word in this context but it is a try to increase revenue at the worst possible time for people in Waterford. I'm not turning people off going their, I gave my views and people are entitled to consider them. Should I only offer my views when they're positive? I'll be honest I like the cinema and I like most of the people working there I don't want it to close down but for #### sake one price for Waterford one for everywhere else. Do you know how much Waterford has been targeted for cuts and avoided for any investment recently. It's a trend screw Waterford over so I'm pissed, boarders are pissed, facebookers are pissed, everyone is pissed off. If they were going to increase the prices for survivability an hours market research would have told them this increase was a bad idea.

Every company wants to increase profit, it's what business is all about but to say that doing so is greed is wrong. you have no idea what financial issues Odeon as a chain is facing. If one cinema is in a chain is failing then there will be shake ups in order to help save it. Better a 1 euro price increase than a closed cinema. Waterford isn't the only place in the country to take a hit. You can easily name a dozen other places in an equally dire situation, hell I'm from Ballina which had mass unemployment during quite a bit of the boom and is now turning into a ghost town. The cinema recently closed down but not after a number of attempts to keep the doors open including increasing the prices of the lower end tickets. Now it's closed the only thing to do in the town is drink. You can make assumptions all you like but at the end of the day they are just assumptions and you could easily be wrong. I hope for your sake that the cinema doesn't close down but I imagine that any future attempts to increase profits by raising prices will be met with more screams of "greed"

like why Waterford first.

I already gave a reasonable explanation why Waterford was chosen.

Obviously, you need to be from an area in order to have an opinion of something or to offer some rational alternate opinion. It's why people outside of Dublin can't offer an opinion of something occurring there.

I never disagreed I merely pointed out that price increases such as this usually occur for more reasons than simply greed. The fact that Odeon has made it nationwide makes me fear for their future. 1 euro is a small token increase though given the way yourself and others have reacted you'd swear the price had doubled.

Well you got your wish, the pricing is now the same nationwide. Our disagreement is that you instantly assume that the 1 euro is about greed when it could just as easily be about a business in difficulties trying everything it can to stay open.

There's a difference between being able to make a rough estimate in the local pub and in your cinema. The pub is generally one of two rooms and a cursory glance is all you need to get a rough estimate. When it comes to the cinema it's a hell of a lot harder given that there are a number of screens and the only one you can estimate attendance in is the one you are in. You can't say for anywhere near definite how many people are in the screen next door.

I go to the cinema 3 or 4 times a week but would never even attempt to estimate the audience numbers across the various screens. I can tell you that at the late showing on Friday there were less than 20 people at Now You See Me but can't tell you how many people on average were in the other screens.

Again you don't know this for sure. Unless you are there every day and have an rough estimate of numbers you could easily be mistaken. If Waterford has been so badly hit then it makes sense that prices of nonessential services will rise, obviously the demand isn't there. I know that if I was struggling due to unemployment and had a family to look after a trip to the cinema would be very low down on my list of things to be spending my money on.

Just because the are has been hit does not mean that rent goes down. A lot of big businesses signed long term leases before the recession and are still tied into them. It's part of the reason that HMV closed. I know a number of cinemas around the country whose rent is the same now as it was in 2007.

Every company wants to increase profit, it's what business is all about but to say that doing so is greed is wrong. you have no idea what financial issues Odeon as a chain is facing. If one cinema is in a chain is failing then there will be shake ups in order to help save it. Better a 1 euro price increase than a closed cinema. Waterford isn't the only place in the country to take a hit. You can easily name a dozen other places in an equally dire situation, hell I'm from Ballina which had mass unemployment during quite a bit of the boom and is now turning into a ghost town. The cinema recently closed down but not after a number of attempts to keep the doors open including increasing the prices of the lower end tickets. Now it's closed the only thing to do in the town is drink. You can make assumptions all you like but at the end of the day they are just assumptions and you could easily be wrong. I hope for your sake that the cinema doesn't close down but I imagine that any future attempts to increase profits by raising prices will be met with more screams of "greed"

Yawn, yawn, yawn. Don't care. You apparently can't estimate the size of a screening of the new blockbuster (I go to every one) compared to 3 years previous, fine I'll draw my own conclusions on that. I'm also not allowed base my assumptions on a 10-15 minute wait for a ticket compared to the now 2-3 people in the queue ahead of me, fine I'll draw my own assumptions in that. That's raw data do what you want with it it's what I used to inform my opinions.

A 1 euro rise nationwide id about increasing profit which is driven by Odeon's CEO and shareholders... greed you could say. So you're assumption that it was the only way Odeon Waterford could turn a profit on a Wednesday or in general took a beating. But I'm the one who is wrong for making an analysis based on first hand experience?

No you can't, you seriously can't, the unemployment rated are highest in Waterford in the region with the highest unemployment rate (S-East) - this is massively offset by the amount of course who have emigrated and those doing courses. Oh God I'll think twice about posting about any further price increase to avoid you're posts. But if a cinema closed down in the metropolis of Ballina (pop of 10,000) surely a cinema in a small village like Waterford has no hope - its only a matter of time.:rolleyes:

DOn't bother replying I'd highly doubt I'll take any further psots by you seriously in this thread.

The only way its a Waterford issue, is because it's in Waterford... As Darko said, he/she worked in an Odeon before. He/she is familiar with how Odeon operate.

Acessible I think they call it - might be wrong - if not they should probably introduce it and cut screenings, where possible, to save money.
    I don't believe those showings are 'hurting' the company financially.

And I thank God they introduced it to give the rest of us a chance to see a film in relative peace

Yep, I'm not a fan of watching a film when a baby is in the screen.

Nope it didn't
    Which cinemas will show The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey in HFR?
    The HFR 3D format is available on certain performances in the following cinemas:

Blanchardstown
    Limerick
    Point Village

Well, if you bothered to read it properly it says "Which cinemas will show" referring to what cinemas WILL be showing it... I can verify that the projectors in Waterford are better than those in Limerick.
    Birmingingham if my guess is right, embed much?

Says the person who can't spell... Is Birmingingham a place?
    I don't feel like ignoring that deal because its brought about by competition. It's probably the same as SAAS get someone registered and they're hooked - you;re also guaranteed an income p granted you may take a hit but the probability is that you;ll make money over the course of a year - say its £20 a month then you're guaranteed £240 without any extras being purchased which are more likely because you don't actually feel like you're paying to go to the cinema - same issue as buying stuff with a credit card.

If you don't pay your monthly fee your membership is void until you pay it, there is no annual contract as such.
    I think the food portions are much larger though despite the size names. As I've said itys been about the same price for me to go to the o2 and cinemas in leicester square buying the same stuff for relatively the same price.
    Plus whatever about the minumum wage over 30% of people in Waterford are unemployed so 1 in 3 now has an income of 188e(?) never mind people who are sutdent on fas courses or the parasitical practice of jobridge.

Probably am in this situation tbf. But yeah I could see it changing just annoying to see Waterford get hit again and again with this rubbish.

Food portions aren't larger (Cineworld +VUE definitely aren't). The minimum wage is generally good measure of cost of living etc which proves right in this case.

But I'm the one who is wrong for making an analysis based on first hand experience?

Don't delude yourself... your analysis is purely based on assumption. You spend about 2-4 hours per week in the cinema (2 visits) in the time that its open to the public (about 68 hours roughly per week). You are so misguided, it's actually entertaining.

I would ask the mod to close this thread considering the trial run has finished and the €6.00 price has been rolled out across the board. There has been several cinema threads in the Waterford forum.

• Advertisement

Yawn, yawn, yawn. Don't care. You apparently can't estimate the size of a screening of the new blockbuster (I go to every one) compared to 3 years previous, fine I'll draw my own conclusions on that. I'm also not allowed base my assumptions on a 10-15 minute wait for a ticket compared to the now 2-3 people in the queue ahead of me, fine I'll draw my own assumptions in that. That's raw data do what you want with it it's what I used to inform my opinions.

A 1 euro rise nationwide id about increasing profit which is driven by Odeon's CEO and shareholders... greed you could say. So you're assumption that it was the only way Odeon Waterford could turn a profit on a Wednesday or in general took a beating. But I'm the one who is wrong for making an analysis based on first hand experience?

No you can't, you seriously can't, the unemployment rated are highest in Waterford in the region with the highest unemployment rate (S-East) - this is massively offset by the amount of course who have emigrated and those doing courses. Oh God I'll think twice about posting about any further price increase to avoid you're posts. But if a cinema closed down in the metropolis of Ballina (pop of 10,000) surely a cinema in a small village like Waterford has no hope - its only a matter of time.:rolleyes:

DOn't bother replying I'd highly doubt I'll take any further psots by you seriously in this thread.

I go to the cinema a lot more than most, there's nothing I love more than sitting alone in a dark screen and watching a film. I go to see most of what comes out, small indie films, big blockbusters and foreign films. The attendence at these films can differ from one day to the next.

For example when I went to see the Incredible Burt Wonderstone the Saturday it opened myself and my girlfriend were the only two people there. Skip forward a week and a screening if that weeks new release in the same time slot was packed. Last Saturday week there were 5 people at the late night showing of Now You See Me (friend was there) and a week later there was quite a rise in attendence. Similarly it's not uncommon for the cinema here to have a queue stretching out the door yet a week later you can walk in at the same time and get tickets with no wait.

Unless you have access to the day to day attendence you are in no position to even begin to say with any certainty just how successful or unsuccessful a cinema is.

A 1 euro increase nationwide is quite the revenue generator and could easily be the difference between a cinema breaking even and posting a loss for those days.

Waterford is no worse off than any other part of the country. Ballina may be smaller but it suffered just as much, even during the boom there was mass unemployment there and since the recession things have gotten ten times worse.

You seem to have taken the price increase as a personal insult. Put simply if you think a 1 euro increase is too much to stomach then stop going to the cinema and making assumptions. I may not be an expert on your local cinema but I know how a cinema operates and when it comes to increasing profits tickets are rarely the first place they start. When a certain type if ticket is targeted then you know that there's some issue in regards to those specific screenings.

Ignore my posts all you want and please continue with the veiled insults but if you can't discuss this in a civil matter then I'm thankful you'll be ignoring me

Unless you have access to the day to day attendence you are in no position to even begin to say with any certainty just how successful or unsuccessful a cinema is.
    Very true...

The only way its a Waterford issue, is because it's in Waterford... As Darko said, he/she worked in an Odeon before. He/she is familiar with how Odeon operate.
    Yes but when like you could work in a mcdonalds in one area and it can be completely different in another area. My point is that the waiting times to get a ticket dropped significantly at a steady rate for about 2 years and then evened out. They have been about the same for about a year now. I used have to turn up very early 30-40 minutes for the really big films when they came out (if I didn't have to book) now there is very little point showing up early - pre-bookings haven't sold out a film in a while in my experience

I don't believe those showings are 'hurting' the company financially.
    Not saying they are merely countering the argument that there are a number of screenings which could be cut to save money, this was then countered by - they were made available to target that part of the market (or to be nice/ seen to be anyway ). So I'm saying first choice would be to cut more screenings, where possible, since this market is already catered for with specific screenings.

Yep, I'm not a fan of watching a film when a baby is in the screen.
    Strange to agree, eh?

Well, if you bothered to read it properly it says "Which cinemas will show" referring to what cinemas WILL be showing it... I can verify that the projectors in Waterford are better than those in Limerick.
    Well they didn't so they weren't offering the service that was available at a similar price in another cinema - so my point remains - same price lower standard fop service for Waterford in Odeon.

Says the person who can't spell... Is Birmingingham a place?
    Apparently I can't. You used be a manager in Odeon right? I could be barking up the wrong trees, sorry for the assumptions!

If you don't pay your monthly fee your membership is void until you pay it, there is no annual contract as such.
    Might have changed since I've been there. Still people I knew who were on it used it constantly.

Food portions aren't larger (Cineworld +VUE definitely aren't). The minimum wage is generally good measure of cost of living etc which proves right in this case.

My experience is they weren't but I'll take it on board that they are now.

I'd disagree though because roughly 1 in 3 people in Waterford have an income below the minimum wage (probably more with all the courses, job-bridge etc.). Minimum wage is used to calculate the minimum income which is the income that matters. If you said even 10-15% I'd be inclined to agree but at least twice that I'll persevere.

Yes but when like you could work in a mcdonalds in one area and it can be completely different in another area.
    Doesn't matter, they still understand how the business operates.
    Strange to agree, eh?

We're human I guess...
    Well they didn't so they weren't offering the service that was available at a similar price in another cinema - so my point remains - same price lower standard fop service for Waterford in Odeon.
    I bet you would be complaining if they charged extra for the higher frame rate version.
    You used be a manager in Odeon right? I could be barking up the wrong trees, sorry for the assumptions!
    What does that have to do with anything?...
    I'd disagree though because roughly 1 in 3 people in Waterford have an income below the minimum wage (probably more with all the courses, job-bridge etc.). Minimum wage is used to calculate the minimum income which is the income that matters. If you said even 10-15% I'd be inclined to agree but at least twice that I'll persevere.

You disagree? I'm not surprised...

Doesn't matter, they still understand how the business operates.
    Apparently not because they were 100% sure it was a cinema going out of business trying to survive. Refused to consider any other alternatives. You looked at different options and made it clear what you thought. I thought one thing said other things were possibilities but didn't think they were likely. I think there is a big difference than considering only one possibility.

I bet you would be complaining if they charged extra for the higher frame rate version.
    Nope I would just go elsewhere.

You disagree? I'm not surprised...
    Meh

Apparently not because they were 100% sure it was a cinema going out of business trying to survive. Refused to consider any other alternatives. You looked at different options and made it clear what you thought. I thought one thing said other things were possibilities but didn't think they were likely. I think there is a big difference than considering only one possibility.

Nope I would just go elsewhere.

Meh

I never said that I was 100% sure it was a cinema going out if business but rather i offered some more realistic scenarios than simple greed for the increase. You instantly jumped to conclusions about the decision and refused point blank to listen to any other possible scenarios.

I repeatedly said that the 1 euro increase could have been introduced to turn a loss making day into a break even one. The decision to make the 1 euro increase nationwide may have been done simply to appease all those natives who've taken the increase as done personnel insult and spent the past few weeks crying about the injustice of it

You used be a manager in Odeon right? I could be barking up the wrong trees, sorry for the assumptions!
    What does that have to do with anything?...

I would like you to answer my previous question.

Your arguments are very weak and what's worse is, you don't realise it.

I never said that I was 100% sure it was a cinema going out if business but rather i offered some more realistic scenarios than simple greed for the increase. You instantly jumped to conclusions about the decision and refused point blank to listen to any other possible scenarios.

I repeatedly said that the 1 euro increase could have been introduced to turn a loss making day into a break even one. The decision to make the 1 euro increase nationwide may have been done simply to appease all those natives who've taken the increase as done personnel insult and spent the past few weeks crying about the injustice of it

First line of my first post in this thread
    Has any justification been given for a specific increase in only one cinema? I wonder if its a trial for the rest of the country.
    and if it was greed turns out I was right - profit increase for whole of country

I would like you to answer my previous question.

Your arguments are very weak and what's worse is, you don't realise it.

Illustrates - sometimes you don't have to have all facts right in front of your face to make an educated guess to ascertain the truth in a situation. Could be wrong but could be right. Nothing I say I ever 100% trust is right.

My firsthand experience of declining crowds over a two year period that then evened out on firsthand experience is pretty okay evidence for me to base my arguments.

• Advertisement

Has any justification been given for a specific increase in only one cinema? I wonder if its a trial for the rest of the country.

It was obviously a trial, Odeon won't say it was a trial, but it doesn't a genius to work that out.

Advertisement