Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odeon Cinemas Waterford Increase bargain Wednesdays to 6 euro

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭b0ardsUser

MOC88 wrote: »
    Illustrates - sometimes you don't have to have all facts right in front of your face to make an educated guess to ascertain the truth in a situation. Could be wrong but could be right. Nothing I say I ever 100% trust is right.

My firsthand experience of declining crowds over a two year period that then evened out on firsthand experience is pretty okay evidence for me to base my arguments.

Your questionable first hand experience, from about 2-6 hours spent in the cinema per week?... How many of those hours are spent in the foyer out of curiosity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭MOC88

b0ardsUser wrote: »
    It was obviously a trial, Odeon won't say it was a trial, but it doesn't a genius to work that out.

Yet others who were apparently more familiar with the internal business operations insisted 100% it wasn't for increased revenue but for cinema survival. Of course maybe the chain made it look like an nationwide increase to help an ailing branch but I'd doubt it.

Yet others who were apparently more familiar with the internal business operations insisted 100% it wasn't for increased revenue but for cinema survival. Of course maybe the chain made it look like an nationwide increase to help an ailing branch but I'd doubt it.

A lot more familiar than you it seems...

A lot more familiar than you it seems...

I noted the possibility weeks ago and how I noted that it would be a common practice to do this much like any company does test marketing eg. tayto bars.

They must have had their head in the clouds because their familiarity gave them the completely wrong conclusion - the cinema could be packed every day and night for all the poster knew - and thats also why I found it patronizing.

I posted on what I knew - if you want to question the validity fine but I still feel that drop in the audiences was very obvious given the extent of it. If you don't believe me the next time you're in town go take a look and remember what it used be like, then compare.

Most businesses can estimate their immediate customer demand ie. get more popcorn ready - in Mcdonalds have more big macs ready - a cursory glance is enough sometime to ascertain interest in the product ie. the cinema - its best product is a blockbuster - if said product has a lower demand then it would be obvious if there is a big drop which is what I saw happening on a consistent basis. Granted once or twice are unreliable but over the course of years with multiple visits I think it should have some form of validity.

Anyway I'm done with this thread - youll disagree with me ill disagree with you and whoever shouts longest will believe they've won - I'm sure we've both better things to do with our time.

Anyway I'm done with this thread

Thank God.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Rent of premises would be different alright, bigger cinemas would have higher running costs (electricity, heating, insurance etc...)

Sorry, don't buy that at all. It is ludicrous. Imagine if, say, Sky or UPC started charging different rates for different areas of the country??

7upfree wrote: »
    Sorry, don't buy that at all. It is ludicrous. Imagine if, say, Sky or UPC started charging different rates for different areas of the country??

It seemed to be a trial run in Waterford, the increase has been rolled out to the other cinemas.

First line of my first post in this thread
    Has any justification been given for a specific increase in only one cinema? I wonder if its a trial for the rest of the country.
    and if it was greed turns out I was right - profit increase for whole of country

As you said it may very well have been a trial but it's just as likely that it was initially intended only for Waterford but when Odeon management saw all the crying from Waterford natives they decided to roll it out across the country.

As you said it may very well have been a trial but it's just as likely that it was initially intended only for Waterford but when Odeon management saw all the crying from Waterford natives they decided to roll it out across the country.

For crying you mean justified complaints? Nice business sense there.:rolleyes:

For crying you mean justified complaints? Nice business sense there.:rolleyes:

You have no idea how the business is performing, it could very easily be losing money on Wednesday and a few extra euro is all it takes to break even. And yes, crying over a 1 euro increase is ridiculous. The way some people went on about it you'd swear it was some personal attack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

You have no idea how the business is performing, it could very easily be losing money on Wednesday and a few extra euro is all it takes to break even. And yes, crying over a 1 euro increase is ridiculous. The way some people went on about it you'd swear it was some personal attack.

To be fair,

I am fairly in agreement with most of your points Darko but its not "just a euro" its a 20% price increase and in any business selling from Apples to Zebras customers are going to have a Kitten if someone rolls out a 20% price increase all in one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

ziedth wrote: »
    To be fair,

I am fairly in agreement with most of your points Darko but its not "just a euro" its a 20% price increase and in any business selling from Apples to Zebras customers are going to have a Kitten if someone rolls out a 20% price increase all in one go.

If you want to be really technical about it it's still a 39.5% discount on an average ticket.

Now if they increased the cost of a standard ticket an extra euro it would make it more than a tenner and I'd have reason to be pissed and consider it a bastard of a price increase, but they just reduced the discount on their discount day. It's not a price increase, it's a decrease in the discount.

It is just a euro. I don't understand why people can't just settle for the fact it's still a full day where every ticket is €6, €3-€4 less than normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I'm not actually disagreeing with ya Mitch, I just don't agree with a throw away "just a euro" line. A one euro price increase can relatively be quite allot of money

Say you went into Penneys one week and a t-shirt was 50% at €5 and you bought it. Grand job. Lovely t-shirt.

You want another one, so you go back to Penneys two weeks later and find that the t-shirt is now only 40% off and costs €6 now. Employee says "Sorry, the offer changed. It's only 40% off now."

Do you throw a hissy fit and demand the previous price? No, because it was an offer and that offer changed or finished.

Do you file a complaint and demand the exact reason why it was changed because you wanted it at the old offer price? No, because you'd look like an eejit arguing with a company that are entitled to change the offers whenever they see fit.

Offers are changed and removed all the time. It's the difference of a euro. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Complaining over nothing.

ziedth wrote: »
    I'm not actually disagreeing with ya Mitch, I just don't agree with a throw away "just a euro" line. A one euro price increase can relatively be quite allot of money

And I would generally agree that a euro is a lot of money, if it wasn't for the fact that a normal ticket is €9-€10. If they increased the normal ticket price by a euro I'd be up in arms because I'm paying enough as it is, but it's a difference of a euro and what was already and still is a special ticket price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Say you went into Penneys one week and a t-shirt was 50% at €5 and you bought it. Grand job. Lovely t-shirt.

You want another one, so you go back to Penneys two weeks later and find that the t-shirt is now only 40% off and costs €6 now. Employee says "Sorry, the offer changed. It's only 40% off now."

Do you throw a hissy fit and demand the previous price? No, because it was an offer and that offer changed or finished.

Do you file a complaint and demand the exact reason why it was changed because you wanted it at the old offer price? No, because you'd look like an eejit arguing with a company that are entitled to change the offers whenever they see fit.

Offers are changed and removed all the time. It's the difference of a euro. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Complaining over nothing.

That's only valid if the Penneys in question isn't the only one of their nationwide chain to have changed its offer...

That was the point, to me anyway - for 2 months it was only one branch of a nationwide chain. Now that they've increased it in most of the chain I don't mind.

That's only valid if the Penneys in question isn't the only one of their nationwide chain to have changed its offer...

That was the point, to me anyway - for 2 months it was only one branch of a nationwide chain. Now that they've increased it in most of the chain I don't mind.
    I think someone said it already but it was most likely a trial run here to see if it worked. I assume it did because they made it widespread.

I think someone said it already but it was most likely a trial run here to see if it worked. I assume it did because they made it widespread.

And that's fine, now that it's been clarified, but doesn't have any bearing on the principle that bothered me in the first place.

Understandable, like I said above, I still see it as an offer for a discounted ticket. If they increased standard ticket prices I'd be effin' and blimin' myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

If you want to be really technical about it it's still a 39.5% discount on an average ticket.

Now if they increased the cost of a standard ticket an extra euro it would make it more than a tenner and I'd have reason to be pissed and consider it a bastard of a price increase, but they just reduced the discount on their discount day. It's not a price increase, it's a decrease in the discount.

It is just a euro. I don't understand why people can't just settle for the fact it's still a full day where every ticket is €6, €3-€4 less than normal.

This, thank God is the post that hits the nail on the head.

It's taken a while, but it has arrived. Well done Sir.

Some peoples commitment to being outraged is commendable. It is still a big discount. If you want to pay full price, go ahead. If not, you have the choice.

To my recollection there wasn't always an alternative in cinemas and still people aren't happy.

• Advertisement

Some peoples commitment to being outraged is commendable. It is still a big discount. If you want to pay full price, go ahead. If not, you have the choice.

To my recollection there wasn't always an alternative in cinemas and still people aren't happy.

It doesn't hit any nail on the head for me - my dissatisfaction was to do with a 20% price differential between branches for what is a national chain. The fact that it was the discount ticket is completely irrelevant.

Some people aren't happy because Waterford was targetted. Bottom line.

Some people aren't happy because Waterford was targetted. Bottom line.

Waterford is the strongest non-Dublin Odeon cinema.

Makes most sense for a trial to be in Waterford.

Where'd you pull that from? ... Just wondering

Anyway I'm done with this thread -

I thought you were done with this thread?...
    Where'd you pull that from? ... Just wondering

I already mentioned that I worked for said company...

I thought you were done with this thread?...

I already mentioned that I worked for said company...

Oh I'm not contributing or discussing just curious... soooo personal knowledge built from first hand experience, cool

Oh I'm not contributing or discussing just curious... soooo personal knowledge built from first hand experience, cool

Oh dear... I'm not going to waste my time anymore with you.

Oh dear... I'm not going to waste my time anymore with you.

I'm in tears, I assure you

Then it should be rewarded - not punished. Very strange business logic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭joni1

Is it a coincidence that the price hike happened at the time the schools broke for the holidays? Seems very calculated, to me

Advertisement