Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ssangyong Rexton or Kia Sorento

Options
  • 25-06-2013 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi Lads,

I'm currently looking into buying cheap commercial jeep for around 5 grand or so. Looking at currently advertised commercials it looks like my choices are basically Kia Sorentos or Ssangyong Rextons.

There seems to be a lot of both advertised within my price range at around the 2006 year mark.

I'm looking for advise as to which is the best one to go for, if any at all, any info would be appreciated!!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Personally neither...
    ....but if pushed the Kia would be the slightly better bet.
    A few of each (car, not commercial obviously) used as Taxis near me and the Rextons seem to be falling apart constantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

"If Pushed"

Quite apt really, considering that is what you will have to do for either of those two POS's

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

forget the year, it's purely a status symbol and a newer crappy motor won't even fool you, never mind anyone else.

look for low mileage and a fsh and get yourself a nicely looked after Pajero or land cruiser in your price range. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭ofcork

The rexton uses the older generation merc engine but they dont seem to have a good rep in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Nothing wrong with a well minded Sorrento, finding one that is well minded is the problem. I haven't had any experience of the Rexton but on reputation alone they are probably worth avoiding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

ofcork wrote: »
    The rexton uses the older generation merc engine but they dont seem to have a good rep in general.
    possibly because they are fugly! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭waxon-waxoff

Dunno why people are slagging the Sorento. I got a commercial a few months back and no problems with it. Could do with a bit more power thats all.

Lots of space, leather and auto for half the price of an X5 and 2-3 grand less than a Landcruiser. Slight image problem in some circles but as a mobile shed to carry bikes or golf clubs its fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

It really depends on what you want the jeep for. If its a run about for carrying a bit of stuff here and there, the Sorento is just fine.

If you are looking to tow, carry heavy gear or cover 20,000 plus miles per year, then get yourself onto Donedeal and pick up a clean 02 landcruiser..

As for the Rexton... Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

My daughter has a 05 Serento for the last two years and pulls a horsebox now and again. 2005 model. No problems so far. Passed the nct on Monday and just needed anti roll bar bushes, one link and two tyres. In fairness it was well minded prior, very fresh condition.

I did hear recently there's an issue on the rear axle upper brackets up to model year 2010. They hold water which can cause premature corrosion of the brackets and weakens them. Story was, Kia have a current campaign for remedial measures, or in extreme cases will replace the axle.

This is in the UK though, not heard anything on it here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

mikeyj wrote: »
    Hi Lads,

I'm currently looking into buying cheap commercial jeep for around 5 grand or so. Looking at currently advertised commercials it looks like my choices are basically Kia Sorentos or Ssangyong Rextons.

There seems to be a lot of both advertised within my price range at around the 2006 year mark.

I'm looking for advise as to which is the best one to go for, if any at all, any info would be appreciated!!

Thanks!
    I have both. I like the engine in the rexton and I have yet to put a spanner to it in 120k miles beyond servicing and a set or two of tyres. However, I prefer the Kia for longer journeys, it is better screwed together, faster, easier(by far) on diesel, has a better "feel" to it and is less "plasticky" than the rexton. I sold a landcruiser before I bought the Kia, and can say without a shadow of a doubt that the best of the two 4*4s that you are considering is.......a landcruiser. It just felt unburstable, commanded the road better and was generally "jeepier". I still like the Kia though, and I love the dogged torque of the rexton..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 mikeyj

Thanks lads,

Plenty of food for thought there!! The rexton is out of the running anyway after that. My initial feelings were confirmed by ye above as I couldn't get over how cheap they were and they aren't the best looking jeep around!!

I will consider alternatives such as land cruiser for quality and am considering other options such as a volkswagen caddy or golf van.

Thanks again!

Advertisement