Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introducing my dog to the new kitten.

• 25-06-2013 9:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭

Any tips please, we've just brought the kitten home this evening and the dog hasn't settled at all since it arrived,the kitten has being put in the kitchen and the dog in the other room how can I get them to interact without the dog going for it? Thanks.:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Miseryguts wrote: »
    Any tips please, we've just brought the kitten home this evening and the dog hasn't settled at all since it arrived,the kitten has being put in the kitchen and the dog in the other room how can I get them to interact without the dog going for it? Thanks.:(

Interaction won't come quick especially if the dog already does not get on with cats. You will have to keep them separate for a while and try things like putting something the kitten slept on into the dog's bed, etc. You need to slowly get them used to each other's presence in the house, and build up to a face-to-face meeting (and make sure that your dog is on a lead for the first few times).

I know a lot of people might not agree, but if your dog does not like cats, or you do not know if your dog has issues with cats, it is best to test the situation and start getting him used to the smell before you adopt another pet that could well end up being returned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

It takes time and patience is all I can say!

I moved in with a friend last September, she has a dog of about 18 months at the time and my cat was a little younger.

We can only leave them to wander about the house with doors open in the last 3 months of so.
    There is no magic way - just loads of patience!

Give the cat a room that is theirs. Let the dog smell around it and get used to their presence in the house. After that it is just really gradual, never let them out unsupervised. It will come but it will just take time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭Miseryguts

Thanks for the advice it's looking a tough task at the moment and patience will be needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Has your dog always been reactive to cats?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭Miseryguts

Well my mother has a cat and anytime it usually came near it became a bit weary of it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement