Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sourcing Out of Print Books

Options
  • 25-06-2013 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

Hi I'm looking for some books that went out of print and was wondering does anyone know any good tools/resources or bookshops that could help? The books in question are:

Seán Cronin's 'Frank Ryan - The Search for the Republic'
    Joseph O'Connor's 'Even the Olives are Bleeding - the life and times of Charles Donnelly'
    Fearghal McGarry's 'Irish Politics and the Spanish Civil War'
    Michael O'Riordan's 'Connolly Column: The story of the Irishmen who fought for the Spanish Republic 1936-1939'
    Adrian Hoar's 'In Green and Red: The Lives of Frank Ryan'

While some of them are old (particularly the one on Donnelly) others are quite recent so I was surprised to see amazon quoting huge figures for 2nd hand copies. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Hi I'm looking for some books that went out of print and was wondering does anyone know any good tools/resources or bookshops that could help? The books in question are:

Seán Cronin's 'Frank Ryan - The Search for the Republic'
    Joseph O'Connor's 'Even the Olives are Bleeding - the life and times of Charles Donnelly'
    Fearghal McGarry's 'Irish Politics and the Spanish Civil War'
    Michael O'Riordan's 'Connolly Column: The story of the Irishmen who fought for the Spanish Republic 1936-1939'
    Adrian Hoar's 'In Green and Red: The Lives of Frank Ryan'

While some of them are old (particularly the one on Donnelly) others are quite recent so I was surprised to see amazon quoting huge figures for 2nd hand copies. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure what your prepared to pay,but ABE books has them all.

link: http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?an=Se%E1n+Cronin&bt.x=73&bt.y=13&sts=t&tn=The+Search+for+the+Republic

You could try chapter bookshop parnell street ,if you hav'nt already.They have a lot of second hand books upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

I find that abebooks sellers often put a fairly high price on out of print stock that you might find cheaper elsewhere. Bookfinder.com is a useful site for seeing where else you might get a copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

You could also try Alibris OP- there is a U.S. (.com) and a UK (.co.uk) version.

I did a quick search on the .com US site for
    Seán Cronin's 'Frank Ryan - The Search for the Republic' and got a few hits.
    http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?browse=0&keyword=+Se%E1n+Cronin%27s+%27Frank+Ryan+-+The+Search+for+the+Republic%27&mtype=B&hs.x=28&hs.y=28&hs=Submit

Edit - just noticed there is a copy for sale in Cork for 63.63 euro - it's on that search I linked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Off topic slightly, but the probable reason for the inflated prices can be found here

In summary, there is one copy of a book being sold by a user with a low feedback score. A user with a higher feedback score lists the book for a slightly higher price, assuming that people will "find" the book in their listings first. If an order comes in, they buy the book from the person who has it, take their markup, and ship it.

the original seller is running software that checks the price of their book, as is the reseller. Original sellers software sees the reseller selling the same book for a higher price, and so increases their price - resellers software does the same. In the link there's an example of an out-of-print book about fruit flies selling for 2.8 million dollars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

hooplah wrote: »
    Bookfinder.com is a useful site for seeing where else you might get a copy.

Thks Hooplah,just found a couple books I have been looking for .:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

I'm looking for Turtle Was Gone a Long Time: Volume I: Crossing the Kedron by John Moriarty -- ISBN: 978-1874675631.

No sign of it anywhere. It's on Amazon for over a grand (hah!), and on another site for nearly 300 USD.

I've contacted the publishers and tried the above sites as well. No dice unfortunately. It's the only book of John Moriarty's which I don't own.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭1968

Try Connolly Books in Temple Bar and the Sinn Fein bookshop in Parnell Square.

Some of the books listed should be available there for a reasonable price.

Advertisement