Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fresh Water Hose

Options
  • 25-06-2013 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

This should be an easy one to sort out:

Heading to France in the camper for our first big trip away with it. I'm wondering what people use for filling their fresh water tanks with? I was looking to buy a garden hose in Woodies but min length was a 15m hose. Should I even be using a garden hose?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

LIP_70210_watering_can.jpg
    ...very handy
    ...only €7 in any hardware shop
    ...no distance restrictions to a tap like you might have with a hose
    ...no connector restrictions to a tap like you might have with a hose
    ...you know exactly how much you are filling into your fresh water tank
    ...doubles as a beer/wine cooler when the fridge is full!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It depends whether you're drinking the water or not really. I think if you asked for official advice, garden hoses and fittings wouldn't be recommended for drinking water (many even state that on the packaging). I think it's to do with the hose holding water in it that can go off and also the grade of plastics in it.

This year I got a collaspible foodgrade hose on a reel from Amazon from the UK (delivered via parcelmotel). It didn't work out that much extra compared to other collapsible hoses, and doesn't need to be unwound to use. It comes with fittings for various taps. This is it, although I don't think I paid that much.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brunner-METRE-ROLL-GRADE-CARRIER/dp/B0013T5X0E/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_t_1_JKXA

Probably overkill, but I decided with the children I'd rather not take the risk. It's also a lot handier than a loose roll of hose in the locker to be honest too. I cleaned the tank this year as well, and have started treating the water. Again, probably overkill but we've our own well, so it doesn't have chemicals added to avoid bugs, and really whatever extra expense and hassle is better than the hassle of children with the sh!ts in the van!

We also carry a water container for any times when a tap and/or hose isn't handy. I'd definitely recommend carrying a hose or something to fill the water - the number of times I've seen campsite "drinking water" hoses used to flush toilet cassettes makes it an absolute essential in our van!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭bluethunder

I would go with a hose if you're not using it for drinking. There are some sites where you actually need a long hose (and you could always cut it to shorten it if 15m is too much) . Using a watering can is ok but would take a lot longer what with having to fill it 5-6 times.

Concur with the above post, get one on a reel if you can, nothing worse than trying to keep a neat hose when you have kinks and twists in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Outside

I like the versatility of the watering can idea and the fact it doubles as a beer/wine cooler!

I was thinking for space saving (small VW california t4) that the short hose option might be my best bet but I'm warming to the watering can idea.

I won't use the water tank for drinking as such but just use it for washing/coffee and brushing teeth.

Thanks for all your ideas and input folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Collapsible water carrier and a funnel would probably be even more space efficient than a watering can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭corkbuoy

Macy0161 wrote: »
    It depends whether you're drinking the water or not really. I think if you asked for official advice, garden hoses and fittings wouldn't be recommended for drinking water (many even state that on the packaging). I think it's to do with the hose holding water in it that can go off and also the grade of plastics in it.

This year I got a collaspible foodgrade hose on a reel from Amazon from the UK (delivered via parcelmotel). It didn't work out that much extra compared to other collapsible hoses, and doesn't need to be unwound to use. It comes with fittings for various taps. This is it, although I don't think I paid that much.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brunner-METRE-ROLL-GRADE-CARRIER/dp/B0013T5X0E/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_t_1_JKXA

Probably overkill, but I decided with the children I'd rather not take the risk. It's also a lot handier than a loose roll of hose in the locker to be honest too. I cleaned the tank this year as well, and have started treating the water. Again, probably overkill but we've our own well, so it doesn't have chemicals added to avoid bugs, and really whatever extra expense and hassle is better than the hassle of children with the sh!ts in the van!

We also carry a water container for any times when a tap and/or hose isn't handy. I'd definitely recommend carrying a hose or something to fill the water - the number of times I've seen campsite "drinking water" hoses used to flush toilet cassettes makes it an absolute essential in our van!

Same one available here but cheaper
    http://www.vanplusdirect.co.uk/epages/es133288.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es133288/Products/%22Water%20Hose%2015m%20USE%20ON%20ROLL%22

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Something similar available from Charles Camping.

http://charlescamping.ie/store/index.php/15-mtr-cassette-hose.html

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

corkbuoy wrote: »

Off topic, but have you purchased from www.vanplusdirect.co.uk ?

They seem to be very reasonable in delivery costs to Ireland. In fact, postage of some small items - like a triangular spirit level - seem to be posted for free to Ireland.

I know this item is only £1.65 but on amazon postage is from about £4, making a triangular spirit level very expensive for what it is, not even sure how useful they are!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

*Kol* wrote: »
    Something similar available from Charles Camping.

http://charlescamping.ie/store/index.php/15-mtr-cassette-hose.html
    cheaper from Donagheys here

Advertisement