Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog eating my fence!!

• 25-06-2013 10:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭

As the title says I have a Jack Russell about two years old who keeps pulling lumps out of my ship lapped fencing.

He is trying to get at the cats in next doors garden but hes costing me a fortune in fence panels has anybody ever come across this problem before or does anyone have any ideas how to stop him ???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

As the title says I have a Jack Russell about two years old who keeps pulling lumps out of my ship lapped fencing.

He is trying to get at the cats in next doors garden but hes costing me a fortune in fence panels has anybody ever come across this problem before or does anyone have any ideas how to stop him ???

Silly question but how often does he get walked and mentally stimulated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Hes walked every evening its not about boredom or anything like that hes trying to get at cats next door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Hes walked every evening its not about boredom or anything like that hes trying to get at cats next door.

Sometimes dogs find things way more interesting if they are hyper or have nothing else to distract them. The only thing I can think of is running some sort of a secondary fence parallel to the one already there to stop him from getting in at it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

A wire fence might deter him from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

had a similar situation with my jack russell (tearing the ground up trying to get under my fence), turned out the food i was feeding him was making him hyper, changed it and he stopped. You could also try getting a companion for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Chicken wire nailed across the panel is great to stop them chewing, and the spaces are too small for them to get a good grip on it. In general. I say in general cos I have 2 JRTs and they are determined little sods. But worth a go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,319 ✭✭✭✭endacl

A bit of roofing felt covering the panels at jrt chewing height would do the trick. Just make sure to round off the corners so he doesn't have a 'starting point' for tugging at it.

I don't like to think of what a wire covering might do to the little fella if he got teeth or claws snagged up in it. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

endacl wrote: »
    A bit of roofing felt covering the panels at jrt chewing height would do the trick. Just make sure to round off the corners so he doesn't have a 'starting point' for tugging at it.

I don't like to think of what a wire covering might do to the little fella if he got teeth or claws snagged up in it. :eek:

I put up a small bit of chicken wire where my jack russell was ripping away the previous fencing from and honestly when she saw what it was she never went at it again and learnt her boundaries.

Advertisement