Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.22 lr subsonic ammo.

Options
  • 25-06-2013 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭

Hi guys.

I suppose most people would know that I wasn't afraid to use cci stingers and actually liked them.

I've a new 22 now so I'm gonna try stay with the subs. Through this rifle I have used Winchester super x which were very good. I also used lapua subs which were also good but the winchesters might just be ever so slightly better ( ever so slightly now ).

One good thing is both rounds had the same poi at 50 meters.

I tryed eley before and what I remember they didn't group as good as both of the above. I am going to try cci subs and see what there like
    But I'm just wondering is there anything I'm looking past that are worth trying.

When useing different types of subs in the same day should I be sending a few down the barrel before I start taking my groups serious. And deciding whether the ammo is good for the rifle or not.

Cheers guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

June's issue of American Hunter runs an article on CCI Quiet-22 Segmented HP.
    Thier 40gr with MV 710 fps. It's a hollow point that expands and then separates into three long segments on impact. Not for semi's or handguns. Reportedly no louder than a air rifle. Designed for Target Shooting and Pest Control.
    Any one seen these over here yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭vapour_trail

June's issue of American Hunter runs an article on CCI Quiet-22 Segmented HP.
    Thier 40gr with MV 710 fps. It's a hollow point that expands and then separates into three long segments on impact. Not for semi's or handguns. Reportedly no louder than a air rifle. Designed for Target Shooting and Pest Control.
    Any one seen these over here yet

I asked my RFD to see if he could get them for me. He said they might be available up the North but after making a few calls he said they werent even in the country :( Shame., Im dying to try them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

No I've never even heard about them to be honest ill google them now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

To save me searching, what rifle is it?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Oh ye sorry its a cz varmint.

• Advertisement

Lapua Subsonics (gold box with green outline)
    Lapua Subsonic HP (picture of rat on the box)

Two very accurate rounds, and the HP are actually a little more accurate than the subsonics, but i spare them as not many people stock them (not even sure they are still available).

Used to use the Eley standards but afaik they are called sport now, and not in the old brown box, but the new green one. Could wrong on that as it's been a while since io bought Eley.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Hi guys.

I suppose most people would know that I wasn't afraid to use cci stingers and actually liked them.

I've a new 22 now so I'm gonna try stay with the subs. Through this rifle I have used Winchester super x which were very good. I also used lapua subs which were also good but the winchesters might just be ever so slightly better ( ever so slightly now ).

One good thing is both rounds had the same poi at 50 meters.

I tryed eley before and what I remember they didn't group as good as both of the above. I am going to try cci subs and see what there like
    But I'm just wondering is there anything I'm looking past that are worth trying.

When useing different types of subs in the same day should I be sending a few down the barrel before I start taking my groups serious. And deciding whether the ammo is good for the rifle or not.

Cheers guys.

Depending on your views and application you might want to try lapua center X. They are without a doubt the most accurate ammo in my CZ style and are sub sonic, even though not advertised as such.

Last week I was making regular hits out to 235 metres with them. Not on live quarry before the pitchforks come out!

If its for target shooting you won't get much better, if your rifle likes them.

If its for hunting, well I'm a firm believe in shot placement, some will disagree and that's fair enough. But as far as I can tell, when a bunny gets one in the head, they don't hop back up and tell me their not dying because it wasn't a "hollow point".

bravestar wrote: »
    Depending on your views and application you might want to try lapua center X.
    Don't leave out the best part. The price. €10+ per box. Same as Eley Match. in the grand scheme of things not dear for ammo, but in terms of .22 ammo about the most expensive.
    ......... and are sub sonic, even though not advertised as such.
    They are subsonic and Lapua advertise them as such. 327 m/s. That's 1070 fps. Below the 1128fps threshold. Same Eley Match. 1050 - 1075fps. they have to be for the comps they are used in, and accuracy.
    ........... if your rifle likes them.
    Key point, but at over €3 per box more than most other rimfire and upwards of €5 per box more than some it can get expensive shooting.

When you can get almost double the ammo for the same price in other brands the Lapua centre-x may be a good round, but i'd be looking at other brands first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Cass wrote: »
    Don't leave out the best part. The price. €10+ per box. Same as Eley Match. in the grand scheme of things not dear for ammo, but in terms of .22 ammo about the most expensive.

They are subsonic and Lapua advertise them as such. 327 m/s. That's 1070 fps. Below the 1128fps threshold. Same Eley Match. 1050 - 1075fps. they have to be for the comps they are used in, and accuracy.

Key point, but at over €3 per box more than most other rimfire and upwards of €5 per box more than some it can get expensive shooting.

When you can get almost double the ammo for the same price in other brands the Lapua centre-x may be a good round, but i'd be looking at other brands first.

All legit points mate, the price really is the killer when compared to other stuff. I suppose it really just comes down to your own style of shooting.

I'd love to be able to get the performance I get from the lapua from something half the price!

What I meant by them not being advertised as sub sonic was that they didn't have it written in the name, like most subs would. Obviously anyone looking at the specs of the round could tell it would travel sub sonic.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

All match ammunition except for RWS R100 will be subsonic. If the price of Match/Center-X is just too much, then have a look at the cheaper rounds from the same manufacturers. Here's roughly how I think the rounds from the major manufacturers of quality .22 ammo line up. Better rounds are at the top of the table, but I wouldn't recommend Tenex or Midas+ unless you've got an excellent barrel and need the extra accuracy. I wouldn't recommend X-Act unless you're spending someone else's money!

Eley|Lapua/SK|RWS
    |Lapua X-Act|
    Eley Tenex|Lapua Midas+|
    Eley Match|Lapua Center-X|RWS R50
    Eley Team||
    Eley Club|SK Rifle Match|
    Eley Sport|SK Standard Plus|

RWS have more options but I've never seen anything other than R50 being shot here. I haven't seen Eley Team or Club in a while either, so I'm not sure if anyone stocks them right now.

• Advertisement

Ill prob try the cci subs but I'm definitely gonna pick up a box of the lapua subsonics Hp. Any ideas were they can be got as I've only seen stand subs from lapua

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭minktrapper

How much are Lapua Standard Club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

I have shot and used the cci segmented HP's. So they can be got and are in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

The lapua subs shoot very well in my cz varmint.
    You should also try the RWS subsonic hunting ammo.
    Its very accurate in my rifle, I was shooting at some targets a few days ago at 50 yards. It was quite breezy and groups were around 0.5 to 0.75 inches.
    Then the wind settled and I fired 10 shots quite quickly at a target.
    They grouped into 0.37 inches which put a smile on my face.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

How much are Lapua Standard Club.

They've been out of production for a few years now. Some dealers might still have some stock but it's anyone's guess as to what they'd charge you for old ammo.

He I'm heading out today to pick up a couple of different brands.

Cci
    Lapua
    Rws
    Eley

Advertisement