Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegan for a week

Options
  • 25-06-2013 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

Hi there folks

My parents are going away for a week next week, so I've decided to go absolutely wild and exploit their absence by using the week as a vegan trial (my mom barely abides me being vegetarian, so it's easier this way!).

I've made a few vegan dishes in the past, and I can always look up recipes and stuff, but if anyone has some really simple and tasty things that don't require many ingredients I wouldn't already have that would be great!

I'm one of those people, who every now and then, will get a crazy craving for cheese and go on a rampage til I find it all and eat it. I'm worried about how I'm going to get past this craving?
    I also love drinking cow's milk, but I've found a replacement for that in hazelnut milk (yum), so I just need something that will satisfy me in the cheese department.

And, what's a good vegan hangover food? :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 liz1991

Hello,

Good luck with your challenge! Hope it goes well. On the cheese craving thing, why not watch something like Earthlings whenever you feel like eating cheese? It'll put you right off...

Not a drinker, but I'd imagine fried potatoes with rosemary would work as a hangover food.

On the simple recipes, try 2 onions, 2 cloves garlic, 4 giant mushrooms, 2 tins tomatoes, 2 tins butterbeans, 1 tbsp paprika, 1/2tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp coriander and some salt and pepper. Serve with pasta.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Immaculata

Curried rice is my 'too exhausted to look up a recipe but need dinner' default dish.

Ingredients:
    A cup of rice
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1 onion, peeled and sliced
    1 carrot, grated
    1 courgette, diced
    1 cup of peas
    1 cup of sultanas
    1 clove of garlic, peeled and crushed
    1-3 tablespoon curry powder or paste
    1 stock cube or 4 teaspoons stock powder (optional)
    salt and pepper

Boil a cup of rice in three cups of water until soft. Takes about 20 minutes for white rice, but maybe double that for brown.
    Meanwhile, prep the veggies and garlic, and fry them in the vegetable oil over a low heat.
    Season and add the stock powder and curry powder.
    When the rice is cooked, drain it and add it to the vegetables.
    Turn up the heat and continue frying, stirring often to prevent sticking, until the rice and vegetables are nicely browned.

Naturally it's possible to use any vegetables you have to hand in whatever amounts you like. You can also swap the curry powder and stock powder for black bean paste, chilli, and soy sauce, which makes it entirely different but just as delicious.

I hear you about the cheese. :) I get some vegan fake cheese from the health food store, or better yet, some nutritional yeast. Nooch on hot popcorn is good for my cheese cravings. ;) I sometimes make a cashew 'cheese' substitute, that's if I haven't immediately eaten the cashews upon buying them.

OMG, hazelnut milk sounds good! I must try that.

Veggie burgers are good hangover food IMO.

Good luck with your week of veganness! If that's a word.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Thanks for the advice!

I'll defo try out those recipes, and I think I'll buy a few different cheese/butter alternatives over the weekend to try out.

I'm hoping it all goes well, as I want to try phase out dairy, both for ethical and health reasons. I guess just remembering that biscuits and a lot of processed food have egg in them will be one of the harder parts.

Luckily I'm off for the week so don't have to worry about getting in from work and being too tired to make me some food.

And yes, hazelnut milk is amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 liz1991

Censorsh!t wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice!

I'll defo try out those recipes, and I think I'll buy a few different cheese/butter alternatives over the weekend to try out.

I'm hoping it all goes well, as I want to try phase out dairy, both for ethical and health reasons. I guess just remembering that biscuits and a lot of processed food have egg in them will be one of the harder parts.

Luckily I'm off for the week so don't have to worry about getting in from work and being too tired to make me some food.

And yes, hazelnut milk is amazing!

On the biscuit front, there is an AMAZING cookbook called "Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar". Everything in it is yummy.

Also, hobnobs are vegan and yummy. And some brands of figrolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

liz1991 wrote: »
    Also, hobnobs are vegan and yummy. And some brands of figrolls.

I think McVities rich teas are vegan too. Some other brands aren't though.

Also, try making a hot chocolate with hazel milk, soooooo good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Oreos!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Hangover food?

2 slices of vegan friendly bread smothered in Golden Olive. Stick in 2 Linda McCartney sausages and cover with ketchup. Nom!

How did it work out for you in the end Censorshhuuu? ;)

Thanks again for the replies and suggestions!

I'm mid-week now, so on my 5th day, and it's a lot easier than I thought it would be. I've even made my own pasta sauce and what I can only describe as a quinoa bolognese.

And I made a big batch of peanut butter muffins for anytime I get a craving for something sweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 singsong321

Always good to experiment!! Regarding the cheese craving, try mixing almond milk with fruit plus stevia sweetner for flavour and place in the freezer. Leave until solid and serve with peanut butter. It's just a thought, I often do this with organic yoghurt and it's delicious!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭spiralbound

cosmic wrote: »
    Hangover food?

2 slices of vegan friendly bread smothered in Golden Olive. Stick in 2 Linda McCartney sausages and cover with ketchup. Nom!

Is this golden olive spread? I had a look at it last time I was in a supermarket, and it wasn't vegan, just to let you know.

Thought I'd updated on how it all went but obviously not!

It was a lot easier than I thought, and I didn't even get cheese cravings!

I did notice that a lot of alternatives are a bit on the pricey side, so I would be more inclined to make things from scratch in the future.

Also, Dee's vegan sausages are amazing!

Advertisement