Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Dirt worth it?

• 26-06-2013 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭

Saw earlier in the bargains thread the Dirt Complete Collection is on sale on gamefly for €11.50,is it worth it?

Been looking for a racing game to get for awhile and theres 4 there for the price of one really,open to suggestions for other racing games that might be better

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

It's pretty good. Play it occasionally on the laptop. Need a controller though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I've just reinstalled Dirt 3 the other day. I found Dirt 2 & 3 entertaining and challenging.

Biggest thing I hate about them are the voice overs which are incredibly cringey with stereotypical "radical" attitude and inane buzzwords.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

I used to have Dirt 1 for Ps3 back home, thought it was sh*te compared to the previous Colin McRae games so didn't bother with the series after. Visually it was very impressive but the gameplay was pretty poor.

I have a copy of Richard Burns Rally on the laptop, just need to get my hands on a controller!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I've just reinstalled Dirt 3 the other day. I found Dirt 2 & 3 entertaining and challenging.

Biggest thing I hate about them are the voice overs which are incredibly cringey with stereotypical "radical" attitude and inane buzzwords.

They're awful. I really hate all that bro ****e. I don't think the first Dirt had them tho? At least in the rally stages in Dirt2 it's just the navigator. I haven't played Dirt3.

The games themselves are pretty fun, but as with most racing games I found them tedious after a while. Apart from the proper rally stages, I probably had the most fun smashing up the cars and watching all the pretty graphics in slow motion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

5uspect wrote: »
    They're awful. I really hate all that bro ****e. I don't think the first Dirt had them tho? At least in the rally stages in Dirt2 it's just the navigator. I haven't played Dirt3.

The games themselves are pretty fun, but as with most racing games I found them tedious after a while. Apart from the proper rally stages, I probably had the most fun smashing up the cars and watching all the pretty graphics in slow motion.

Dirt 1 had none of it
    Dirt 2 was the worst for that ****e
    Dirt 3 toned it down a lot. iirc you only had to put up with it in the menus sometimes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Maybe ill jist wait then and see if I can get just Dirt 3 in the steam sale? I wanna buy the bundle but wanna keep money for steam sale, god dam all this money off games is killing me!

Any suggestions for other racing games?

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jaxdasher

If you want proper classic rally racing. get the new WRC. So good.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

jaxdasher wrote: »
    If you want proper classic rally racing. get the new WRC. So good.

I thought it was DiRT personally.

:pac:

Really good racing games seem to be hard to come by these days:(

The last racing game i was really addicted to was on the original xbox(cant say xbox one anymore:)),Need For Speed:Underground,the single player in that game was so hard end game that it kept me playing for nearly a year!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

NFS Shift is worth a look, I found the cars felt more lively compared to snorfests like Forza.
    Pretty sure there is a demo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Not the best but still an enjoyable game was Split Second. Like Burnout except you used the enviornment to get your opponents.

Deserved a sequel anyways before it went arseways for the developer.

Cool thanks lads,ill throw a few of these suggestions onto my steam wishlist and see if I can get one or two of them in the steam sale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

EoinHef wrote: »
    Cool thanks lads,ill throw a few of these suggestions onto my steam wishlist and see if I can get one or two of them in the steam sale
    If you're on PC you should get Richard Burns Rally, I got it for €10 delivered. I enjoyed dirt when I played it but there's just nothing that's close to RBR, RBR has probably ruined all other rally games for me because they just aren't going to even attempt to be in the same league as RBR.

It can be a bit of a pain to set up and doesn't look great but once you get the hang of flicking the car around it's very enjoyable.

ScumLord wrote: »
    If you're on PC you should get Richard Burns Rally, I got it for €10 delivered. I enjoyed dirt when I played it but there's just nothing that's close to RBR, RBR has probably ruined all other rally games for me because they just aren't going to even attempt to be in the same league as RBR.

It can be a bit of a pain to set up and doesn't look great but once you get the hang of flicking the car around it's very enjoyable.

Is that part of the colin mcrae rally series?
    I played colin mcrae rally back in the early 90's on a gateway pc, pc had 933mhz single core processor and 512mb of ram and the game was still good lookin for the time.
    Also very good gameplay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

This thread is just making remember V-Rally for the PS1. Loved that game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

5uspect wrote: »
    NFS Shift is worth a look, I found the cars felt more lively compared to snorfests like Forza.
    Pretty sure there is a demo.

I personally think that shift 2 was one of the best SIM type racers out there. It would be on the level if not more fun then forza and a lot damn better then gt5.

I tried dirt 3 for a bit, but I uninstalled it quite quick. It was the most fun when you get rally stages in classic rally cars, but unfortunately majority of dirt 3 is rally cross, stupid drift, and buggy/4x4 cross. Plus the whole event system and bro assholes in menus were really annoying.
    In a way dirt series remind me of shiete nfs: prostreet was. Hype, bro, lots of "awesome" word usage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

EoinHef wrote: »
    Is that part of the colin mcrae rally series?
    I'm not sure, I don't think so.
    I personally think that shift 2 was one of the best SIM type racers out there.
    Shift 2 was horrendous.

NotorietyH wrote: »
    This thread is just making remember V-Rally for the PS1. Loved that game.

Yeah the nostalgia is rife:)

The most fun ive ever had on a racing game was gran turismo 4 on the ps2. I bought myself a force feedback steering wheel and played the hell out of it. Had a little setup wih a table and chair.
    I swear id still remember every turn on every track on that game even now :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

V-Rally 3 is on the PC, hard to come by though.

Personally I loved Dirt 2 and 3, Dirt 1 was grand but the steering was a bit stiff. Personally I also liked Shift 2. Of course since you're on PC, you've also got rFactor, RACE Room, rFactor 2, iRacing, Stock Car 2013, NASCAR, Assetto Corsa, Trackmania 1/2... the list is endless really. WRC wasn't really my cup of tea though tbh.

Advertisement