Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

convincing my parents

Options
  • 26-06-2013 12:22am

Hi, I have recently decided i wanted to take up target shooting and I have done all the research into getting a license and everything i'll need but i cant convince my parents to let me get a rifle. Does anyone have any tips on how to convince them ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

Im 16 and had the very same problem!Got my gun in the end though and no problems parents trust me 100% thats what its all about :D

Keep going lad its the only way took me a while and i mean a while right pain in the arse so it was :P but i got there and am glad :D

Say its for a SPORT!!!Mabye start out with an air rifle?

It going to have to be in a safe as its a rifle you can tell them that!

The mother wasnt too impressed when i had to get a safe for the rifle so she was like would you not get this nice shotgun and pointed to a lovely 12g :eek::eek: .Total shock :P

The mother doesn't mind but the father absolutely hates the whole shootin and guns thing!Youd think it would be the other way around!The mother grew up on a farm with guns and the realtions especially the cousins all have them so shes a bit soft :P

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

Tell them you want to join the army for life, and this is the first step. Uh, nevermind that one.

Do any of your friends shoot at the club/range where you would shoot? Are there any families your parents know (and trust) that are into shooting & that you could shoot with? Are you in an area where target shooting or hunting is popular? Are there any youth programs for shooting that you could be a part of?

Ireland has a fine shooting sports tradition, but it still might be a hard sell to them as to why you should be part of it.

When I was young I wanted to shoot guns and have a dog. I had to wait until I got out on my own to achieve that. Hard words sometimes, but patience truly is a virtue. Continue doing the things that keeps their trust in you, and be pleasantly / respectfully persistent and show them that you are mature enough to handle sport shooting.

I've tried explain about the safe and about having the gun stored at my local range but when i mention the word gun they walk away. A couple of my friends go hunting but none of them are into target shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

What age are you?

Sorry, should have mentioned that. I turned 17 last month.

• Advertisement

If its just target shooting you are interested in and the club you want to join facilitates storage could you not just keep it there always? No need for your parents to worry about a gun in the house and as far as im aware at 17 you can make the decision yourself legally, what you need your parents permission for is storing the gun in their house. Im open to correction on that so domt quote me until its confirmed (or not) by someone more in the know...

I suggested that i could keep the gun at the range or at my grandparents house but they ignored me and said no. As far as I am aware i need their permission on the license application because I'm not 18 yet.

Page 13 of the guidlines below state if the applicant is UNDER 16 they need parents permission so you are fine on that front..

Just to be clear Im not saying go behind your parents back im just giving you the information, maybe show them the guidlines and go through it with them so they understand things a bit better. Its a normal reaction for people who have never been around guns but persistance pays off!

http://www.garda.ie/Documents/User/Commissioners%20Guidelines%20(as%20amended%2022nd%20Oct)%20in%20relation%20to%20Firearms%20Licensing%5B1%5D.pdf

Thanks for clearing that up. I don't think going behind their back would the best idea, it might ruin my chances all together.

Defo not a good idea. I reckon if you can convince one or both to go to the range with you for a look they will open up a bit to the idea when they see how safe and well run the places are. What range is it you want to join anyway?

• Advertisement

Fermoy is the closest range and I've heard some good things about them so hopefully i'll be joining them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

Definitely bring them to a range with you. Even if you join/go to a couple of introductory sessions etc they will see you are serious about it. I'm 20 myself and from hearing my parents speak now, it was never really about the potential new wacky hobby (Oh I came up with and have been through a few!!!) that they were worried about. A lot of the time it was to make sure it wasn't just a flash in the pan. I know that taking up shooting isn't the same as fancying yourself as a drummer with a drumkit in your bedroom, but to them, it might be. Also, forgive me for asking, but who will be paying for it all? I mean, my above argument is only strengthened if it's their money they could be potentially wasting!

Go to the range with them, ask them to come with you and see what it's all about and tel them that if they don't like the look of it then you can talk about it again. It's not very fair to shut you down without even considering what it is you're asking them for! Best of luck with it all!

Thanks for the advice, i'll try get them to come to the range. I'll be paying for everything myself

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

My mother was very anti hunting and all that craic and I had 2 guns bought and the deposit put on them, and only mentioned it to her when I told her I was putting her down as a referee. :D

I wouldn't advise you to do the same though.

Your best bet is arrange to bring them to fermoy range and meet with someone in charge there and let them see how the safety aspect of things work. I´d imagine that would reassure them.

Will they ignore you if you talk about Air rifles ?

I can imagine how my parents would react, my dad is the type of guy who would rip up the license and sell the gun

I've always had pellets guns and they hate them more then proper guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

I can imagine how my parents would react, my dad is the type of guy who would rip up the license and sell the gun

I edited a bit into the end of my post since,

But by law he wouldn't allowed touch the gun ;)

garv123 wrote: »
    My mother was very anti hunting and all that craic and I had 2 guns bough and the deposit put on them, and only mentioned it to her when I told her I was putting her down as a referee. :D

I wouldn't advise you to do the same though.

Haha sum man! :P

Might do that with my next gun.Mam can i put u down as a referee im juts gettin a 12 gauge semi automatic shotgun! :pac:

I'll definitely try get them to come to the range with me and see if that helps.

• Advertisement

garv123 wrote: »
    I edited a bit into the end of my post since,

But by law he wouldn't allowed touch the gun ;)

By law they might be able to kick u outa the house!!!

1shot16 wrote: »
    By law they might be able to kick u outa the house!!!

i can see them kicking me out alright if i came home with a rifle

i can see them kicking me out alright if i came home with a rifle

Yeah that would be bad haha

I just kept going at mine with mine for a while its the only way hate when people associate guns with dead violence etc :mad:

Theres no reason why i cant have one... the old silent treatment was good since i went to boarding school they didn't hear from me for weeks!!! :D :P

I'll try sucking up to my mom for awhile, my dad almost said yes till my mom said no

I'll try sucking up to my mom for awhile, my dad almost said yes till my mom said no

Thats a pain in the arse!Get ur dad to bring you to the gun shop without the mother!Show him the size of a 22lr in the shop.Explain that all the cartridge doesn't come out just the tip.Maybe that would persuade them more it did with mine anyway!

My dad hates guns i rathered to wait a few more days to pick up my gun than to go with him! :P He be like why would u need this dat and the other!

i'll be travelling with my mom for four hours over the weekend so its a good time to bring it, its not like she can walk away and ignore me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

In your shoes I would try to get to the range a few time first to get a good feel for the target shooting.
    First off you will see if its for you. And than after you can tell your parents that you do like the sport.
    Price it all up as well, the rifle, license, range fees, travel costs each week. Those costs are only the start 'cos once your into shooting things tend to get wanted to go along with the gear minimum stated above.

jm2cw

cj

I've priced the basics like license, safety course, premiership and safe and im planning on visiting the range soon enough

rifle slip, gun oil and ammo etc small things as well could be another 200!

• Advertisement

ya im waiting to pick a rifle to check the cost of all the extra stuff i'll need. i still need to pick what type of target shooting i want to do, hopefully a trip to the range will helo :)

Advertisement