Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.22 barrel chop

Options
  • 26-06-2013 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

hi all,want to get me cz 22lr chopped and re threaded for mod to about 16", same as me hmr,so first will i have to inform the guards?and 2nd,who is the best man for the job,also i have read chopping does not affect accuracy,true? i dont ever plan on selling this gun,only have it 15 months new,i like the compactness of me hmr,so want the 22 the same,advice welcome,thanks all:)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

sniperman wrote: »
    hi all,want to get me cz 22lr chopped and re threaded for mod to about 16", same as me hmr,so first will i have to inform the guards?
    Eh, no.

Cutting a barrel below 20" is illegal and can only be done if the barrel is "built back" up to 20" or more and done only because of a defect. How this is achieved is anyone's guess.
    .............. and 2nd,who is the best man for the job,
    See above.
    also i have read chopping does not affect accuracy,true?
    For most rimfires a short barrel will not cause any significant effect in terms of accuracy once the job is done right. Between 10-14" of barrel is all that is needed for most rimfires. They have burnt all their propellant and the argument rages on about if the "extra" barrel length aids or hinders the bullet.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sniperman

20"?,god ive alot to learn still.ill just leave it the way it is,just thought since the hmr is 16"s i could get the 22 done the same,think i started this shooting game a bit late in life,ive a lot to catch up on,thanks for advice,will try not post silly questions in future:o

It's not a silly question it's more a case of silly law. As it stands;
    • You cannot cut a barrel below 20" without having it "re-built" to 20" or above. The law gives no method to do this as it's not possible (afaik). This piece is black and white.
    • Here is the grey bit. If you buy a rifle with a barrel length of less than 20" then you cannot possess it without lawful authority. now as you firearms license is your lawful authority then you are technically covered. The thing is the law is not clear on this, and until a test case is before the courts we will never have a definite answer on it.

However an FCA1 does not ask for barrel length and if it did how would you enforce it without inspecting each firearm individually. as there is not the manpower to run the basic firearm administrative issues what chance is there of having "the barrel police".
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

I have my new varmint at 20 inches and its ad good if not better than my cz lux I had with the long barrel.

Shorting won't affect your accuracy any

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

sniperman wrote: »
    hi all,want to get me cz 22lr chopped and re threaded for mod to about 16", same as me hmr,so first will i have to inform the guards?and 2nd,who is the best man for the job,also i have read chopping does not affect accuracy,true? i dont ever plan on selling this gun,only have it 15 months new,i like the compactness of me hmr,so want the 22 the same,advice welcome,thanks all:)
    Hi sniperman,Cz .22lr barrels are choked so maybe e-mail CZ if your looking for advice on chopping off some of their barrel .
    IMO,who ever is working on your CZs , to slug the barrel first and see where the best spot is to chop it ;).
    Best of luck either way .
    Regards ,Tomcat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Baker.22

Is the cz a 455, if so u can by a 16 inch threaded barrel for it through your dealer from CZ, it takes less than 15 minutes to change

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sniperman

Baker.22 wrote: »
    Is the cz a 455, if so u can by a 16 inch threaded barrel for it through your dealer from CZ, it takes less than 15 minutes to change
    no its not a 455,ill just leave it the way it is,or maybe trade in for a 16";)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

A lot of air rifles, break barrels especially have barrels only about 12 or 14 inches long, are they all illegal so ?

rowa wrote: »
    A lot of air rifles, break barrels especially have barrels only about 12 or 14 inches long, are they all illegal so ?
    As was said;
    Cass wrote: »
    • Here is the grey bit. If you buy a rifle with a barrel length of less than 20" then you cannot possess it without lawful authority. now as you firearms license is your lawful authority then you are technically covered. The thing is the law is not clear on this, and until a test case is before the courts we will never have a definite answer on it.

Advertisement