Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaping taurine

Options
  • 26-06-2013 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

I've been using sky cig for a few months and although most of you have a very low opinion of these kind of e-cigs, I really enjoy it. My intention is to eventually quit vaping. Sky cig have just brought out a new cartridge that uses taurine instead of nicotine. I figure it would probably be easier to quit with them but I'm wary of the taurine. As its used in energy drinks is it likely to keep me awake, give a fake energy boost etc. Anyone know of any other company using taurine? I'm intrigued by it but also wary.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

There are boutique juice makers in the US who're starting to introduce vitamins and caffeine and the like.

Taurine isn't a stimulant though, so you won't be kept awake bar any placebo effect (unless that just ruined it for you!). Doubt it'll have any effect at all, it takes a lot to have an effect on people, more than is in energy drinks even...supposably.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

Any evidence to show you can actually absorb vitamins through the lungs?? Some of them are destroyed by heat anyway I think??

I don't think there is any benefit, or if there could be it'd be incremental and have to be alongside other sources.
    Apparently Dekang have had vitamin versions of their juices for years now, I'd say if they worked you'd see people chatting about them more rather than the usual "Oh, have you seen/tried this?" which is usually indicative/typical of homeopathy or other snake oil fixes with no data behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mrplop

Taurine - extract of cows bile.
    Yummy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Well, I'd steer away from inhaling anything more than I'd need to.....when we take vitamins orally they are metabolised in the body to different forms and them absorbed. Inhaling directly is not the same thing....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭platinums

I used to take Taurine Powder going to the Gym, it was feking brilliant, really spearheads your thoughts. Adds a greater degree of focus. Conversely it is also excellent at focusing you to go to you sleep.
    It seems to enhance whatever frame of mind you want to go in.

Dosage; I was taking around half a teaspoon, (3-5 gramms) which is a lot, so vaping would take a lot to have any great effect. Even Red Bull i think has 1000mg
    70 kg person naturally already has in his body 70 times the amount of taurine contained in one can of Red Bull Energy Drink.
    Taurine is also contained in different foodstuffs like scallops, fish, poultry and most baby food.

With anything though, you would want to check its MSDS Data Sheet : "Hazardous decomposition products: Nitrogen oxides (NOx)/ammonia/CN- , Sulphur oxides" & another lists "Emits Toxic Fumes under fire conditions"

SO No, I wouldnt Vape it.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭platinums

Gryzor wrote: »
    Any evidence to show you can actually absorb vitamins through the lungs?? Some of them are destroyed by heat anyway I think??

Your lungs are a direct route to the blood stream, with Smoking Nicotine it takes .7 seconds to get to the brain or something ridiculous.

The question is How much would actually be transferred in the vapour, or rather be destroyed from the heat.

The melting point is 305°C, so it would still exist, but (presuming 3ml a day) your liquid would have to be 30-50% Taurine to be anywhere near a supplemental dose (unless you're extremely deficient, in which case you should eat Taurine rich foods to fix what ails ya).

Advertisement