Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Management company and new windows

Options
  • 26-06-2013 7:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

i own my own apartment and because i got the lowest BER rating i want to put in new windows and doors. my management company have refused,saying the company i want to use(35 yrs in business) is not to their liking and no other explanation. what can i do,i lose tenants after every winter because of this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ask what companies do they recommend, and then check what link said company has with the management company?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 portinscale

They have more or less said I can't do it and haven't given me an alternative company. Other apartments in block just went ahead and did it without their consent and they said they would take them to court,but they haven't heard anymore since(few years gone by)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

I'm a director on our management company and while we'd have concerns about new windows it only lies with the style. We want to maintain a uniform style in the development so as long as the owner can assure us of this then we're happy. Are you sure they gave you no explanation at all? They really have to.

cookie1977 wrote: »
    I'm a director on our management company and while we'd have concerns about new windows it only lies with the style. We want to maintain a uniform style in the development so as long as the owner can assure us of this then we're happy. Are you sure they gave you no explanation at all? They really have to.

I gave them all they wanted and a sample which was a great match of original,they just said they don't like the company I have and I don't understand they are local and being going for years.
    I do understand about uniform style as I used to work close to Irish Georgian society and know how important it is,can I do anything. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

cookie1977 wrote: »
    I'm a director on our management company and while we'd have concerns about new windows it only lies with the style. We want to maintain a uniform style in the development so as long as the owner can assure us of this then we're happy.

This would be my thinking also; provided the look of the complex has not been altered and the company that you use is reputable then I really dont see the issue.

Maybe see if you can get references from this company from any other management company that they have dealt with; this might give you a stronger position.

• Advertisement

Write to them asking for a full explanation as to why they wont let you use that company. They will have to reply. A simple "we dont like them" isn't good enough.

djimi wrote: »
    This would be my thinking also; provided the look of the complex has not been altered and the company that you use is reputable then I really dont see the issue.

Maybe see if you can get references from this company from any other management company that they have dealt with; this might give you a stronger position.

did all of what you suggest,I am not the only person to have issues with this management company,I am a young family man,who has been forced to work abroad and in negative equity with my apartment and want to improve it otherwise I won't be able to rent it. Help.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,948 ✭✭✭✭listermint

did all of what you suggest,I am not the only person to have issues with this management company,I am a young family man,who has been forced to work abroad and in negative equity with my apartment and want to improve it otherwise I won't be able to rent it. Help.

Ask for an explanation in writing. Then find out who is on the board of directors and try to organise a meeting of the other owners to oust them.

If they are unwilling to engage then they are not doing their job. Get them off the board via vote.

Can you attend the AGM? If you cant use a proxy vote to ensure you're heard. It's your investment as you say and you've got to protect it. Management companies are human beings too and they can and do make mistakes especially if they're left to the same few people to run them. They become clicky.

As I said, write to them requesting a full explanation. Come back to us and let us know what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

But, in fairness, you ARE the management company. You are a member of the company, as are all unit owners. The directors of the management company are elected each year at your AGM.

So, vote to change the directors (or even the management agent).

Put a proposal up for the next AGM to get approval for a change of windows. Any proposed proposal must then go for vote at the AGM. If enough people agree, then it is passed, and you can put in new windows.

• Advertisement
Advertisement