Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Louth

Options
  • 26-06-2013 8:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just looking for a bit if advice. I have started working in Dunleer and am currently commuting from Dublin. I am looking to move closer to save on time and petrol. Was looking at a few places in Drogheda, Ardee, and Dundalk. I was just wondering if any one can give me some advice on where to avoid and where to look at?

I'm a 26 year old male looking to house share with some one and my Girlfriend would probably come visit me at weekends when I'm not back down in Dublin.

Looking to keep the rent including bills below or around 400 a month.

A few houses that look interesting to me are on the Dublin Road, Grange Rath, Crushrod avenue in Drogheda. Richfield manor in Dundalk and Cloghanvary in Ardee.

All help appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Would you not consider moving to Dunleer? It's only 10 minutes to Dundalk for amenities.

Also I would consider the Blackrock area in Dundalk - it's the right end of town for Dunleer and it's also a lovely village on a good day. Even out on the Dublin road you have estates like Marlmount that are nice and handy to town and the N1 to Dunleer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Would you not consider moving to Dunleer? It's only 10 minutes to Dundalk for amenities.

I would consider Dunleer alright but I can't find any house or apartment shares there. There are a couple of properties for rent but I can't afford a place on my own. Would be great because I could walk to work and it's on the M1.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I would say Blackrock/South Dundalk is your best bet then. 10 minutes down the N1 then to Dunleer. Most people think it's better to go the M1 but it's actually much longer a route than straight down the N1 and through Castlebellingham.

I'm sure there's people from Shelbyville (Drogheda) will offer their recommendations too.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭appleb

Hi, I am not originally from Drogheda but moved here nearly 16 years ago (Yikes!) from Donegal. I have to say I like the town. As it goes I live in Crushrod Ave too! Its a really handy location. Shops, pharmacy, chip shop on your door step and the town centre is only 10 mins walk. I would say stick to the North of the town (otherwise you are battling with traffic). I cannot give you any advice regarding Dundalk or Ardee as I have never lived there. If you are looking for a bit of a social life, I'm not sure Ardee or Dunleer would be your best bet as both are quite small. But I could be wrong!
    Good luck in your move!

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

I'd reconsider Rockfield Manor for Dundalk, it's student central. 2 other estates very convenient for Dundalk South old N1 are Glenwood and Priorland. Glenwood is an older estate which used to be full of students however it's more older generation now. It's also very convenient for Dublin for public transport, as both Bus Eireann and Matthews stop at is to and from Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 hearmenow39

Hi, have you found some where to stay yet ? I'm in the same predicament but I got a job in ardee. commuting from Dublin isn't an option at all. looking for similar either house share or apartment share in ardee.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

Take a look in Castlebellingham, its only 5 minutes up the road from Dunleer (I live there myself). Rent in Dunleer seems quite high and their arent too many places about.

Advertisement