Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asking to buy a house that is left unfinished

Options
  • 26-06-2013 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

We are looking to buy in the area we are renting at the moment. There is a small house a short distance from us that is unfinished (completed to roof level but presuming inside work not done and wall by road not completed as required by their planning permission)

I have looked up the planning documents and the owner has been granted an extension on when they can complete it as they have no funds. This person has also built and sold houses recently on our road so I am presuming they are not building to live in this house. The house hasnt been touched in the year and a half that we have lived on the road. We haven't gone in for a closer look at it so not sure if it is even in a good condition to buy. There are 7 houses in total that are unfinished on this short road.

So my question is can I contact the person who is building the house to ask would they sell it? And how would I go about doing this. There is an agent listed with a contact address but it is not the same person who has applied for the planning permission.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,948 ✭✭✭✭listermint

cillmour wrote: »
    We are looking to buy in the area we are renting at the moment. There is a small house a short distance from us that is unfinished (completed to roof level but presuming inside work not done and wall by road not completed as required by their planning permission)

I have looked up the planning documents and the owner has been granted an extension on when they can complete it as they have no funds. This person has also built and sold houses recently on our road so I am presuming they are not building to live in this house. The house hasnt been touched in the year and a half that we have lived on the road. We haven't gone in for a closer look at it so not sure if it is even in a good condition to buy. There are 7 houses in total that are unfinished on this short road.

So my question is can I contact the person who is building the house to ask would they sell it? And how would I go about doing this. There is an agent listed with a contact address but it is not the same person who has applied for the planning permission.

Em, going on on a long short here... contact the agent....

• Registered Users Posts: 12 jpd85

listermint wrote: »
    Em, going on on a long short here... contact the agent....

Sounds like there is no agent as house is not officially for sale.

No reason you can't approach the owner/builder and ask if they want to sell. It'd probably be a good idea to work out a strategy first so you don't give away how interested you are.
    If you don't ask you'll never know. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cillmour

There is an 'agent' down on one of the forms they submitted to the council, but its not an estate agent. Just an address to post correspondence. I might ask the neighbours to see if they know how to contact who is building it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

cillmour wrote: »
    When checking with the agent, ask has there being a 1st fix (electrics)?

Advertisement