Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

using Irish hosting space without registered domain

Options
  • 26-06-2013 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭

I am about to test some Irish hostings for my friends and I found it not accessible without actually having domain registered. I'm surprised because I used few non-irish hostings before and there was always some hosting-company-related URL to test www content before final domain redirecting.

I don't want to mention company name as it is probably banned here, just want to ask if that's how all Irish hosting companies do or I just started with wrong one?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Have you asked your hosting provider?

You are usually given a temporary subdomain to access your webspace prior to you pointing a domain at it, I think this is what you are asking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Graham wrote: »
    Have you asked your hosting provider?

You are usually given a temporary subdomain to access your webspace prior to you pointing a domain at it, I think this is what you are asking about.

What he said.

Sometimes they list the temp url, sometimes you need to contact them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

can you not go to the ip of the server?

can you not go to the ip of the server?

You can't usually if you're on a shared hosting account as there will likely be many websites with the same IP address. Caveat - there is a way around this but the simplest solution is to talk to the hosting provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Graham wrote: »
    You can't usually if you're on a shared hosting account as there will likely be many websites with the same IP address. Caveat - there is a way around this but the simplest solution is to talk to the hosting provider.

I found something like "domain aliases" or "stop-gap domain" but seems to me like you have to have domain registered with them first and then this options are activated. Generally speaking I am disapointed every time I have to deal with hosting in Ireland. No idea why it can't work as smoothly as in UK or States (not even mention ie domains).

• Advertisement

The stop-gap domain sounds like it could be the one you're looking for. Is it something like a027f.myhostingcompany.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

One of the terms I've heard used to describe this is "instant alias" or "instant access alias".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Pretty much all hosting providers offer some kind of "temporary" URL but the terminology will vary depending on who their control panel vendor is

Advertisement