Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shorted Circuit?

Options
  • 26-06-2013 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Neighbours apartment above us flooded ours last night via the kitchen. At the time the cooker was going and the water for the sink.

We got all electrics back in working order last night however our shower pump is now not working at all.

NO water affected the bathroom however this pump was working fine until the RCD switch tripped when the water started pumping through our roof.

Is it a case that the tripping of the RCD shorted the circuit?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The RCD may have tripped due to ingress of water in the motor (or associated wiring). Unless the RCD itself got wet it could not cause a short.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

No it didnt get wet. So the water pump failing is pure coincidence?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

RiseToMe wrote: »
    No it didnt get wet. So the water pump failing is pure coincidence?

The most likely conclusion is that water found its way into the pump motor or some part of the circuit that it is connected to. This is causing the RCD to trip. Once this drys out the problem is solved.

If I was fixing this I would disconnect the supply to the pump and then try to reset the RCD. Then I would know if the problem is with the circuit or the pump.

You may find that the junction box, switch or spur outlet for the pump is full of water.

The rcd isn't being tripped by this pump. The apartment has full power in all lights an sockets, the water from upstairs only affected our kitchen and the water pump is based in the hot press next to the tank.

My problem is that it was working perfectly until upstairs leaked into our apartment and caused our rcd to reset. I've changed the fuse in the pump and nothing will bring it back to life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

you would expect it to be working

if you have all power restored

have you checked power at pump or as close as possible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

if you turned off the tripswitch that controls the pump ,check that it is back in the fully upright position
    have come across a problem before,when a tripswitch is physically turned off it didnt allow power to circuit when turned back on
    turn all tripswitches off and then turn them back on to check

you would expect it to be working

if you have all power restored

have you checked power at pump or as close as possible?

The nearest thing to pump is the heater for the water and that's coming on fine so it seems to me that the pump is knackered, but what I'm trying to establish is if it's as a result as the flooding?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

RiseToMe wrote: »
    The nearest thing to pump is the heater for the water and that's coming on fine so it seems to me that the pump is knackered, but what I'm trying to establish is if it's as a result as the flooding?

i wouldn't expect the flooding to damage the pump

but you need to confrim that you have restored power to pump

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭browner85

Sometimes when power is turned on and off it can blow the circuit board on them pumps , what make / model pump have u got? Is the fuse ok? And what size fuse is in it ?

It's a Stuart tuner n1.5monsoon twin export.

I've replaced the fuse on the white box on the wall but no joy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

This may be a plumbing issue. If the water to your apartment block was turned off the pressure might be low. Pumps have built in protection against low pressure and will not run in such circumstances.

Cerco wrote: »
    This may be a plumbing issue. If the water to your apartment block was turned off the pressure might be low. Pumps have built in protection against low pressure and will not run in such circumstances.

The water to the block wasn't turned off just the upstairs apartment and the neighbours have no problem with their water/shower/pump

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭whizbang

Have your upstairs friends tapped into your pump feed ???

look at the pump for an overheat reset.
    otherwise there's tons of old threads on these pumps.

Ok folks,

So the pcb board is showing lights so power is going to that.

However when I take the capacitor in my hand and pull it toward me (straightening the wires not tugging) the pump kicks into action. This lasts 1-2 days and it goes again. If I repeat that it starts again

I take it I need to replace the capacitor?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

More likely a dry solder joint or damaged track on the circuit board.

Advertisement