Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hopes for next Season

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ronjo

I put this up in June and am wondering how people opinions have changed 5 months on.
    As an Arsenal fan I would have to revise mine to.

a) 1st
    B) 3rd
    c) 5th or lower

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

mike65 wrote: »
    Liverpool

a) Top 4
    b) Top 5
    c) Anything else

Looking good after 1/3 of season (well almost)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I dont think much has changed for the big 6 clubs, they'll all harbour title ambitions still at this 1/3 of the season mark and at the very least challenge for a top 4 spot.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I dont think much has changed for the big 6 clubs, they'll all harbour title ambitions still at this 1/3 of the season mark and at the very least challenge for a top 4 spot.

To be honest I would say Arsenal and Liverpool fans are feeling a lot happier about their teams than 5 months ago.

ronjo wrote: »
    To be honest I would say Arsenal and Liverpool fans are feeling a lot happier about their teams than 5 months ago.

Oh I'd agree with ya, and on the fip side Utd fans arent feeling as great even though theyre well and truly still in the title race with 13 games gone.

If I was adding cups into it, for Chelsea I'd go

a) Win 1 cup, UCL or FA cup
    b) Make semi final of domestic cup and QF of the UCL
    c) losing in the 3rd round of the FA cup and getting beat in the last 16 of UCL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Things will be a lot more clearer come the start of January. The league table now still counts for nothing and the only thing it really reveals is that Arsenal are genuine title challengers.

Oh I'd agree with ya, and on the fip side Utd fans arent feeling as great even though theyre well and truly still in the title race with 13 games gone.

If I was adding cups into it, for Chelsea I'd go

a) Win 1 cup, UCL or FA cup
    b) Make semi final of domestic cup and QF of the UCL
    c) losing in the 3rd round of the FA cup and getting beat in the last 16 of UCL.

I wonder where United or Arsenal fans would put winning the Europa League on that list?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Arsenal
    A) 1st, or 2nd/3rd and close to 1st with the FA Cup (or UCL, but that's a very long shot obviously).
    B) 2nd or 3rd, close to 1st (ie still very much in it with 5/6 games left), no trophies, or 2nd/3rd/4th with a trophy.
    C) 2nd/3rd/4th and below, and not challenging for the league, with no trophies.

That is, I think it is a poor year for us if we don't challenge. Challenging and failing is acceptable though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

ronjo wrote: »
    I wonder where United or Arsenal fans would put winning the Europa League on that list?

Well we'd do very very well (read badly) to get into the Europa League, so it's not really worth putting down at all.

• Advertisement

Ya, Arsenal and Utd are still favourites to get to the k/o stage sof the UCL, it'll take a strange set of results to knock Arsenal out and Utd have to really f**k tonight and at Old Trafford to end up out of the UCL.

Things will be a lot more clearer come the start of January. The league table now still counts for nothing and the only thing it really reveals is that Arsenal are genuine title challengers.

If Arsenal and Liverpool still occupy their respective positions towards Jan/Feb there'll be huge pressure to fill the top 4 by the 4 other contenders.

Its the best time for any team to try and grab the initative of a non-Fergie Utd for the latter end of the season and run in months, as winning this title could start a spell of dominance for one team.

If anythings its certainly and entertaining season with so many in the mix.

If Arsenal and Liverpool still occupy their respective positions towards Jan/Feb there'll be huge pressure to fill the top 4 by the 4 other contenders.

Its the best time for any team to try and grab the initative of a non-Fergie Utd for the latter end of the season and run in months, as winning this title could start a spell of dominance for one team.

If anythings its certainly and entertaining season with so many in the mix.

One great thing for Arsenal is finally we are getting a decent subs bench.

Yesterday had Walcott, Cazorla, Arteta and even Gnabry as options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

I am pie wrote: »
    Liverpool

1. 4th
    2. 5th
    3. 6th & below

6th and below would represent very limited progress and most fans would be disappointed with it. I wouldn't be calling for the managers head but it would be unsatisfactory.

River Plate
    1. Win opening or closing tournament.
    2. 2nd or 3rd in both or progress well enough in copa sudamericana to get into Libertadores the season after
    3. Anything else

You can add another season of failure for Boca in 1 & 2.

Liverpool - we're still in with a shout for 4th and definitively have a decent claim for 5th. Looking good, trying to stay grounded because a lot depends on who comes in Jan, we are still light in mf and injuries to Suarez and Sturridge could cripple us.

River Plate...dios mio. Nearer the bottom of the league than top. Horror show. Need a new manager. SOS. Kicked out of the Sudamericana so no Libertadores next year either. Literally could not be worse. Slight consolation from that fact that Boca won't win anything either, at leat this year.

Advertisement