Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Victoria Sponge - fresh cream or buttercream?

Options
  • 26-06-2013 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hello,

A friend has asked me to bake a Victoria sponge for a party. She wants fresh cream and fruit. My main concern is how long will the whipped cream stay intact for delivery . I am worried that it might collapse - it will take approx. an hours drive. I've considered buttercream as may hold longer but she really wants fresh cream. Any tips?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Can you assemble it when you get there? I do this with pavlovas when I'm taking one to someone's house. You could take the fruit and cream in tubs in a cooler box. I prefer fresh cream to buttercream too, especially at this time of year with fresh fruit so readily available.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

You can put some dissolved gelatine through the whipped cream which helps to hold it up, especially in warm weather. Came across the suggestion in the U.S. but can't remember specific amounts. Will try to google it and come back to you shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I usually use a fairly stiff vanilla buttercream and jam filling for cakes that have to travel, but is it worth considering that you could fill your piping bag with whipped cream, prepare your fruit, and assemble the cake at the venue? I've done this before, very quick and no worries about opening the boot to find a mess of cake!

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

Here is one tip for you, hope it helps.

How To Stabilize Whipped Cream

By Carroll Pellegrinelli, About.com Guide

Whipped Cream
    Gelatine
    Best Butter for Baking
    Mexican Desserts
    Strawberry Cream Recipe

Tired of your whipped cream separating by the second day? Do what the professional do.
    Difficulty: Easy
    Time Required: 25 minutes
    Here's How:

Soak plain gelatin in cold water for 5 minutes.
    Dissolve by placing it in a container over a small pot of simmering water.
    Whip the cream until barely stiff.
    Add melted gelatin all at once to cream during whipping.
    Stop whipping when cream forms soft peaks.

Tips:

For 1 cup of cream use 1/2 teaspoon gelatin soaked in 1 tablespoon cold water.
    For 2 cups of cream use 1 teaspoon gelatin soaked in 2 tablespoons cold water.
    For 6 cups of cream use 1 tablespoon soaked in 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoon cold water.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 kniaodha

make the sponge and then whip and add the cream when you get there?

Personally I think it is much better to make with butter cream, it will hold better, particularly if the top sponge is going to be heavy/thick!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'd also recommend assembling it when you get there. An hour's journey in a hot car could start to turn the cream too, if it's not kept chilled.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

I can't stand gelatine. Not in a lovely fresh cake. Get double cream and whip before you leave it will definitely keep. I do this with pavlova all the time and it is fine. Or as others have suggested put together when you get there

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

I have used both and had to travel 40 minutes with them in the car. They both held the same. No problems at all. You should be alright. If you are still nervous about it I think you should just do butter cream

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

I have used both and had to travel 40 minutes with them in the car. They both held the same. No problems at all. You should be alright. If you are still nervous about it I think you should just do butter cream

Pretty sure the OP has that cake long made and eaten by now. In this heat I certainly wouldn't be recommending anybody do this, I made a cake today with buttercream, kept it in the fridge, drove about 7-8 mins to a friend's house with it in the boot and by the time I got there the buttercream was melting. 40 minutes and it would have been a heap in the box.

Advertisement