Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best bargains of recent years

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

How far back is recent. I saw someone mention Bergkamp.

If we're going back that far.

Vieira and Overmars to Arsenal gotta be included

Could have an entire thread on wenger purchases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Xavi6 wrote: »
    You would never get them for that price though so it's not a realistic example.

A "bargain" to me is someone who was undervalued by their club at the time of sale, and a player sold at 10 million doesn't really fit that as it's a hefty price.

As for Thiago, calling him a bargain before he kicks a ball in the league is a tad premature. If he turns out to be a disaster, fails to settle etc, what will he be then? Hold fire on that one til next summer at least.

Did you read the first post though. It appears most didnt. It is percieved bargain at the time of purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,905 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Did you read the first post though. It appears most didnt. It is percieved bargain at the time of purchase.

I did and with that in mind even someone like Kompany wouldn't meet the criteria as £6 million is probably a fair call in terms of his worth at the time (even if Championship Manager told me he was the best defender in the world years before).

Same for the likes of Alonso who turned out to be amazing but the fee for him at the time he joined Liverpool as a young lad was quite hefty all things considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Coutinho looking like a good piece of business for Liverpool (for once). Judging by his first few months in the PL I'd rate him higher than Oscar (this can all change very quickly) but for a fraction of the cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

aramush wrote: »
    Coutinho looking like a good piece of business for Liverpool (for once). Judging by his first few months in the PL I'd rate him higher than Oscar (this can all change very quickly) but for a fraction of the cost.

A few good games and people are starting to lose the run of themselves. This time next season if he keeps up his performance for the next 12 months we can talk about him being a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Liam O wrote: »
    A few good games and people are starting to lose the run of themselves. This time next season if he keeps up his performance for the next 12 months we can talk about him being a bargain.

Hence the reason why I said this can all change very quickly.. The signs are looking promising for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Berbatov to Fulham.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

RVP to Utd was a bargain, considering he was the top scorer in the Premiership and easily one of the best in the world. With Torres costing £50m and Augero £34m, surely £24m for RVP is good business?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

RVP to Utd was a bargain, considering he was the top scorer in the Premiership and easily one of the best in the world. With Torres costing £50m and Augero £34m, surely £24m for RVP is good business?

or 24 million for someone who missed 100 league games the previous 8 years through injury, hardly a bargain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Corvo wrote: »
    Edwin Van Der Sar (Fulham to Manchester United) - £2m

Established goalkeeper, great leader and organiser of the defensive line. Key part of United going on a serious winning streak from the time he joined.

What's "recent years"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

You need to take into account his contract length, he had 1 year left at Arsenal, had you waited 3 months(he could have signed pre-contract agreement in Jan 2013) you could have got him for free.

So imo....yeah he was a good buy, but no, he wasn't a bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

A great signing but 24 mill for a guy in the last year of his contract who wanted to leave? Hardly a bargain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Javier Hernandez has to be up there also. cost feck all and his goals ratios for United and mexico are excellent.

he cost 6 million. good bargin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Ba on a free from West Ham.

Sissoko could be at around £1.8 million but I'll reserve judgement until he's played a full season.

Tim Krul. Think we paid £220,000 for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Cole to Chelsea is probably our only bargain in recent times, although I could suggest Courtois, I dont think that would count.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Cole to Chelsea is probably our only bargain in recent times, although I could suggest Courtois, I dont think that would count.

Torres?

How much was lukaku?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Also De Bruyne. Not for this thread as not sure how highly he was rated and what was the right price for him when Chelsea signed but his price is lot bigger now and a very good player for just 7 Million.

Torres?

How much was lukaku?

Torres? Bargain? :confused:

Lukaku was reportedly 10Million but could rise to 18Million.
    Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Also De Bruyne. Not for this thread as not sure how highly he was rated and what was the right price for him when Chelsea signed but his price is lot bigger now and a very good player for just 7 Million.

I think we done well to get him for that price and hopefully he gets a chance this year.

Torres? Bargain? :confused:

Lukaku was reportedly 10Million but could rise to 18Million.

I think we done well to get him for that price and hopefully he gets a chance this year.

Torres was a joke dude.
    Didnt realise lukaku was so pricey. Good value all the same.

• Advertisement

Torres was a joke dude.
    Didnt realise lukaku was so pricey. Good value all the same.

Thought you had being hitting the booze early. :pac:

Ya Lukaku had a few clubs interested in him, reportedly, so we acted.

It helped our cause he was a huge Drogba fan and had been to Stamford Bridge in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

How far back is recent. I saw someone mention Bergkamp.

If we're going back that far.

Vieira and Overmars to Arsenal gotta be included

John Robertson to Forest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

But Bale was terrible at the time and Spurs went something like 24 games without a when when Bale featured?

The bargains I'm on about are more the kind of thing you're delighted with at the time because you've bought a successful, proven player and a price which is less than what he's worth.

Bale, Hart etc. only proved themselves after they were bought by Spurs and City. The same goes for Kagawa to Dortmund and Chicarito to United.

Ozil to Madrid was a good call as was VDS

You're seriously misinformed. Bale was not terrible at the time, he was one of the most promising young players in the country, United and Arsenal showed serious interest in signing him.

It's a weird statistic that Bale went so long without being on the winning team for Spurs, he actually started off very well for Spurs but then got injured and was unfit and lacking confidence when he returned and it looked like he might not make it at the club for a while.

Anyway, he was a 17/18 year old left back, it was very little his fault that Spurs didn't win any of his first whatever number of games.

I agree though, I wouldn't really put him in as a bargain on the criteria outlined by the OP. He has turned out to be a snip obviously, but there was a risk he would be a waste of money, like any teenager.

I would say that overall most of the players who are bargains these days are cheap because of the length left on their contract.

The truly great purchases are where most of the world thinks a player is average, but one manager buys him for peanuts and makes him world class. Wenger used to be the king of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Lubo Moravick to Celtic

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Pudders wrote: »
    Lubo Moravick to Celtic

One of my absolute favourite players ever. Wish I'd seen him earlier in his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Yohan Cabaye to NUFC from Lille - £4.4m
    Ben Arfa to NUFC £5m from Marseille
    Cheick Tioté to NUFC £3.5m
    Moussa Sissoko to NUFC for £1.8m
    Demba Ba to NUFC on a free transfer

All of those would easily go for at least treble what they cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,905 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Doocey wrote: »
    Demba Ba to NUFC on a free transfer

All of those would easily go for at least treble what they cost.

So free then? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

David O'Sullivan from Wayside to us. 15 goals in 17 so far plus a few in the cups. Class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Roque Santa Cruz from Bayern Munich to Blackburn, £3.5million,

Considering the job he done and the money made selling him on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Heard Wilfried Bony was going to Swansea for €6m and thought it was a fantastic bargain.

Found out it it's around €12m though which would be more or less his value, although I expect him to thrive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Joey Ndo to Sligo Rovers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Jay jay okocha and youri djorkaeff signings for Bolton for free.

Jay Jay so good they named him twice went to Bolton 4 years after psg spends 20 million on him and a world cup and euros winner in djorkaeff great pieces of business....ah the Times I used to enjoy Bolton.

I myself pulled of a coup by signing Wellington Nem for 4.1 million in fm13...30 goals and 17 assists that season :0

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,703 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Ryan Giggs - City to United:)

Xavi6 wrote: »
    So free then? :pac:

Well considering he had a little signing on bonus, not quite. There was no transfer fee.

Although £7.5m was a nice profit :)

Heard Wilfried Bony was going to Swansea for €6m and thought it was a fantastic bargain.

Found out it it's around €12m though which would be more or less his value, although I expect him to thrive

Probably the most pointless post in relation to the thread :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,207 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Sirsok wrote: »
    Jay jay okocha and youri djorkaeff signings for Bolton for free.

Jay Jay so good they named him twice went to Bolton 4 years after psg spends 20 million on him and a world cup and euros winner in djorkaeff great pieces of business....ah the Times I used to enjoy Bolton.

I myself pulled of a coup by signing Wellington Nem for 4.1 million in fm13...30 goals and 17 assists that season :0

Yeah except Jay Jay was probably found out to be about 50 years old in those 4 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭adaminho

As a Leeds fan it pains me to say it but for 1.2 million Cantona was a steal! considering the other option was (a then English record) of 4 million for David Hirst :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Wesley Sneijder, Real Madrid to Inter Milan at a relatively cheap price reignited his career and set Inter up to win the Champions League.

Diego Milito, Genoa to Inter was a shrewd move, a big hit up front for Mourinho's Inter.

Ricardo Montolivo has proven himself a bargain after a really fine season at Milan.

Lucio when he was brought to Inter was a real bargain after Bayern had discarded him, his partnership with Walter Samuel was formidable.

And of course who could forget Andrea Pirlo. Free transfer to Juventus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Scott parker in the latter years, from newcastle to west ham for 6m, although there was question marks over his fitness. Then onto spurs for 5.5m. A bargain for an english international.

The year he joined spurs he added a much needed steel into the spurs midfield and was a player that clubs like united or liverpool missed out on. Granted it was a bit of a one season wonder with spurs with sandro and dembele surpassing him but a bargain nonetheless.

I would like to say dembele to fulham was a steal at 5m but that would be a bit captsin hindsight as I never heard of him before that.

Berbatov to fulham as well. Always loved the player even at united, he looked lazy becsuse football is effortless to him but I would love to see him back at spurs.

Advertisement