Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sterilizing product

Options
  • 26-06-2013 2:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

hi going to be ordering equipment shortly

just wondering what product to get for sterilizing the vessels etc.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭tteknulp

I use Starsan , because it no rinse ,so quick and easy 2.5ml of Starsan makes 1 Litre when mixed with water.
    its expensive but lasts a long time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

thanks i see

so you spray it on to the vessels

and then let it drain off?

thanks i see

so you spray it on to the vessels

and then let it drain off?

Make up a few litres ,put everything in that will be contact with wort / beer put lid on ,block hole in lid ,give it shake ,turn ulside diwn etc... Pour it back into a airtight for use later ,it keeps fresh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 115 ✭✭mikemcdeedy100

thanks

so no rinsing or drying neededafter sterilization then?

thanks

so no rinsing or drying neededafter sterilization then?

Yep thats it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

You could also make up your own sanitizer using thin, unscented bleach and clear vinegar. 30ml of vinegar and 30ml of bleach mixed into 20L of water will give you an effective no rinse cleaning (chlorine) solution. DO NOT MIX THE VINEGAR AND BLEACH TOGETHER, you will end up gassing yourself. Just throw one of them into the water, mix and then add the other.

Used this for my first brew and it worked fine. If you search this forum, you will see that plenty of people have used this sanitizing method, without any problems.

The above formula also scales, so you could make up a batch with 10L of water, 15ml of bleach and 15ml of vinegar.

Advertisement