Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

test hosting - need to buy domain?

Options
  • 26-06-2013 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭

Is there any option to use your hosting without actually buy/register domain? I have client with their website hosted already on their server and I look for place to build new one for them. If ready whey can seamlessly move from old to new. But I need web access to new one before domain migration. I know some hosting allows to access www content without specific domain attached - just using "internal" hosting provider URL? Is it working with blacknight?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

There is a temporary URL feature available, or you could just use your hosts file ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Blacknight wrote: »
    There is a temporary URL feature available, or you could just use your hosts file ..

I found temporary URL on your hosting working, but it seems like I have to have registered domain to use application form Application Vault. I presume joomla/wordpress/drupal will work with temporary URL if I install them manually?

The Temporary URL's can work with such installs but some will redirect to the configured URL within the application.

I installed Joomla manually (Shared Hosting) and I found permissions/ownership to be complete pain.
    1 - Everything I uploaded by FTP has FTP ownership and can't be write/changed by Joomla.
    2 - If I change permissions to 777, I can write/change from Joomla. But then It takes 48/48 (Apache) ownership and it can't be writen/changed it from FTP!
    3 - If I do anything wrong from Joomla (delete file or plugin) I can't repair from FTP - it's not writable!!
    4 - If I would like to remove all Joomla installation (using FTP), I will stuck with this folders/files created by Joomla. They CANT be removed by FTP. They will stay on the server FOREVER??

Is there any way to have access to change folder/files ownerships? I presume that's because you use php-mod method instead of fastcgi. But I am little terrified with this 48/48 folders I can't do anything about.

We would suggest running php in fastcgi mode and support can reset the permissions if you log a request with them via https://help.blacknight.com/home

• Advertisement

I don't have domain attached to my shared hosting yet, so I will check fastcgi mode later.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 uglybunz

zom wrote: »
    I installed Joomla manually (Shared Hosting) and I found permissions/ownership to be complete pain.
    1 - Everything I uploaded by FTP has FTP ownership and can't be write/changed by Joomla.
    2 - If I change permissions to 777, I can write/change from Joomla. But then It takes 48/48 (Apache) ownership and it can't be writen/changed it from FTP!
    3 - If I do anything wrong from Joomla (delete file or plugin) I can't repair from FTP - it's not writable!!
    4 - If I would like to remove all Joomla installation (using FTP), I will stuck with this folders/files created by Joomla. They CANT be removed by FTP. They will stay on the server FOREVER??

Is there any way to have access to change folder/files ownerships? I presume that's because you use php-mod method instead of fastcgi. But I am little terrified with this 48/48 folders I can't do anything about.

You can use a web-based file manager like this one to delete files that are owned by the web process:
    http://extplorer.sourceforge.net/

It can delete the files because it's running under the same web process that created/uploaded them.

Be sure not to leave an application like this where it could be found/accessed by 3rd parties!

HTH, uglybunz

Advertisement