Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB soudcard -- improved performance?

Options
  • 26-06-2013 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering if getting an external soundcard would improve the performance of my laptop in terms of avoiding buffer underuns? I'm working on a track at the moment that has about 30 audio tracks (single hit samples) and about 5 synth channels. Playback is pretty stuttery at times and there's plenty of pops and crackles. Laptop has an i7 processor and 4Gb of Ram.
    I suppose I should play with the buffer size in the Asio control panel to see if that makes a difference but I was wondering if people who have external cards noticed any improvement on their own setup?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Asio 4 all driver is pretty good - you have to jack the buffer up the deeper into projects - if you still get stutters then you could be looking at the drive itself struggling.

External USB can be much, much better - BUT you can find other problems later on with the 'form factor' of the laptops motherboard (but minimal chance of issues) - If you do go external USB make sure to hit up sites in regards to your OS usb hardware settings to make sure they are correct for audio (sometimes you can get issues with the socket sleeping or being throttled in older OS)

Advertisement