Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flyfishing start advice

Options
  • 26-06-2013 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

I've been spinning and baitfishing for a few years now but I see that there is more events /competitions for flyfishers.....also I'd like to start it.......I have decided to wet flyfish but am not sure about rod reel nd line maybe a 9ft6' 5 weight......il mostly be fishing stocked lakes but am hoping when I get better to fish the nore inistioge area and the barrow graignamangh st Mullins area. Is this a good rod length and any tips or hints will be greatly appreciated,thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Eriesniper

I think a 6wt would be good and that 9ft'6 would be perfect...
    Also u can buy flies (etc dries wets flies) in a bunch (About 50) u can get them on fishing megastore its in scotland order them if dont have any flies there very good flies.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Chopperdog 2

Eriesniper wrote: »
    I think a 6wt would be good and that 9ft'6 would be perfect...
    Also u can buy flies (etc dries wets flies) in a bunch (About 50) u can get them on fishing megastore its in scotland order them if dont have any flies there very good flies.

Are you sure about the quality??

Im not quite so sure.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭madchild

go to a proper angling store and ask for a mid to tip action rod these are perfect for beginners if ya dont ya will end up with a wobbly **** of a thing that you,ll never master maybe pick up a book or two about flies coz you,ll need to know what,s on the water at the time of year you,re fishing it can change from one week to the next i,ve even seen it change throughout the day best of luck with it remember knowledge is power. If ya need any more advice let me know i,m always happy to help out a flyfisherman

• Registered Users Posts: 38 steel header

Did you get a casting lesson? That's the first thing you should do. From someone who "knows" how to cast. That's the best advise you'll get here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭madchild

Did you get a casting lesson? That's the first thing you should do. From someone who "knows" how to cast. That's the best advise you'll get here.

Yeah if ya have plenty of cash to throw around jayzis people done without instructors for years i personally don,t see the need in them my advice is to find a local flyfisherman and ask them would they spend an hour with ya on the bank take it all in and practice practice as much as ya can most flyfishermen nowadays would gladly help another get into the sport the days keepin all to yourself is gone. Although as i said earlier if ya have plenty of cash to throw away then by all means go to an instructor.. where are ya based? if ya were near me i,d gladly help ya out...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

madchild wrote: »
    Yeah if ya have plenty of cash to throw around jayzis people done without instructors for years i personally don,t see the need in them my advice is to find a local flyfisherman and ask them would they spend an hour with ya on the bank take it all in and practice practice as much as ya can most flyfishermen nowadays would gladly help another get into the sport the days keepin all to yourself is gone. Although as i said earlier if ya have plenty of cash to throw away then by all means go to an instructor.. where are ya based? if ya were near me i,d gladly help ya out...

Absolutely correct. These 'instructors' love to complicate things to con people into thinking they need instruction.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 steel header

Yeah, your probably right. Don't know what I must have been thinking!

A casting lesson might set you back 50e's. But it will teach you the basic cast and how to cast a straight line saving you from "years of frustration" They would also give you advise on a rod and line helping you avoid most of the utter crap that is out there. But hey... whatever!

Of course I would help you out if I was anywhere near you. But I doubt it. My nephew though, who is 16, is as good a fly caster as you will ever see, is in Longford. Are you anywhere near there?

Advertisement