Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets talk perspective

• 26-06-2013 2:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine and I are often talking about games. It generally takes the form of him asking me if I've played/will play a certain game, and which game I prefer between two different ones. Last night, he asked me between Heavy Rain and Dishonored. I think it obvious I said Dishonored. My friend made a point he has made many times, though not in quite a while. It was that he isn't a fan of first person games. He much prefers to play third person games. He will play first person games... Very rarely and only after me pestering him about how good it is (BioShock for example, and he was happy I got him to play it) but he reverts back to not liking to play first person games.

To me, and I said as much, whether a game is first person or third person tells me nothing about its quality whatsoever. I was wondering if there are people here who are more on his side of the fence. Does the mere fact of the perspective of a game tell you anything about its quality or alter your impressions of a game? MAke you more or less inclined to play? I honestly find this negative view of first person games to be very unusual. And before anyone asks, he isn't jaded out from playing Call of Duty or anything. Far from anything like that.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,063 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Well I guess the thing to note here is that he 'doesn't like to play first person games' rather than 'he says all first person games are crap'.

So it's less to do with his perception of their quality and more to do with personal taste :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,961 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I generally prefer third-person perspective. I wouldn't be put off or enticed to buy a game based on what perspective it was though.

I like seeing my character performing actions, and being able to see where I'm being shot from rather than indicators which appear in FPS games. That's just a general opinion though, the quality of the game itself is more important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

But he does go in to them biased, assuming the quality isn't going to be high on the basis of the perspective of it. It mostly shuts down the option of him playing first person. Yeah, obviously it's personal preference but to me it seems like you are just cutting out on so many brilliant games. Was curious if others had a similar perspective even if only a milder form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

It doesn't bother me in the slightest whether a game is first person or third person. I can't imagine not wanting to play a game because it was one or the other.

Having said that, in certain games, when you are constantly battling against the camera angle, it can be very annoying. I think in one of the Spiderman games when you constantly need to adjust the camera angle with the right stick, and if you move slightly, you have to readjust it again. It is a nuisance. In racing games or sports games, there are certain camera angles I just don't enjoy using. There's always one or two which suit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

Pushtrak wrote: »
    But he does go in to them biased, assuming the quality isn't going to be high on the basis of the perspective of it. It mostly shuts down the option of him playing first person. Yeah, obviously it's personal preference but to me it seems like you are just cutting out on so many brilliant games. Was curious if others had a similar perspective even if only a milder form.
    I'd be a third person gamer meself, again that just my preference. At the moment there's way too many third person shooters around and the majority of them are just cr4p, when I hear of another on the way, I'm sceptic that its just another company jumping on the FPS gravy train. The established series are good ie BF COD MOH, but when it becomes FPS/RPG I lose all interest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

[perspectivehipster]Prefer second person really. It's the post modernists choice.[/perspectivehipster]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

isometric & third-person :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    [perspectivehipster]Prefer second person really. It's the post modernists choice.[/perspectivehipster]

So used to seeing the term 'grammar nazi' used on forums, I thought you had typed 'perspectivehitler':pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

it sucks when the only games ur friends want to play are brown and bloom shooters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

I kind of don't make much of a distinction, neither perspective is 'better' really. But I don't think that System Shock 2 or Bioshock would have been quite as effective in third person view. Yet then again Dead Space is an interesting counterpoint to that, I'm not sure really.

• Advertisement

I feel like I'm the only one that thought Dishonoured wasn't really that great.

Back on topic - it doesn't matter to me whether it's first person or third person, as long the game itself is good, then it doesn't bother me. Both have their advantages and disadvantages - with third person games, if a lot of effort and attention hasn't been paid to camera angles, then this perspective can become extremely annoying - there's been many times before in games, where I've found myself stuck because of an awkward camera angle.

I sometimes wonder how much better a game like Bioshock: Infinite would have been, if they had switched from first person to third person view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Apples and oranges...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

I love the Elder Scrolls ability to switch between first and third person. I do most of the combat in first person, but if I'm running around the place I play in third person.

Advertisement