Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smaller Van For Camping- Urgent

Options
  • 26-06-2013 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have been looking around for a van thats about the Dispatch size or bigger to convert. Problem is I cant seem to find any good ones.

I will be converting the van and using it for travelling to cycling/ running competitions around ireland which are hours away from home and need a camper to make a weekend away at these for myself.

I am now looking at Caddys, Berlingos, Partners or Transit Connects. I will settle for one of these if I can fit a bed in the back of it.

I am tight for time as I want to buy the van and get a bed installed as a priority for the ROK which is only Sunday week.

Would anyone know which of these vans would be the most suitable for this? as in sizing and width. Kind of urgent

Thanks
    Gary

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

ghogie91 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I have been looking around for a van thats about the Dispatch size or bigger to convert. Problem is I cant seem to find any good ones.

I will be converting the van and using it for travelling to cycling/ running competitions around ireland which are hours away from home and need a camper to make a weekend away at these for myself.

I am now looking at Caddys, Berlingos, Partners or Transit Connects. I will settle for one of these if I can fit a bed in the back of it.

I am tight for time as I want to buy the van and get a bed installed as a priority for the ROK which is only Sunday week.

Would anyone know which of these vans would be the most suitable for this? as in sizing and width. Kind of urgent

Thanks
    Gary

Those vans are tiny, I could understand using one if you already had it but not if you're buying one. You'll actually have the more room for sleeping in a decent sized estate - passat, etc. I've often sleft in the back of the estates I've had, primera, passat, with a car annex its a much better solution than any of the above.

carawning.jpg

You'll also have to line/insulate the van or you'll have condensation raining down on you and soaking your clothes.

If you are intent on getting one I wouldn't get a berligo/partner the cheap ones I've seen all needed a rear axle, bushing, mounts, drop links etc. etc. I was looking for a multispace for ages to cart the kids to school. The caddy is a decent vehicle be extra wary of the pd engine get someone that know what they're at to look at it. If you're getting a transit connect get the old engine with the mechanical pump.

The smallest van I'd consider converting would be something like a t4/caravelle. Hard to get one without haldf a million miles for a decent price though. Aquaintance recently picked up a mint vanette with 37k miles for 800 euro. Doesn't have any cool factor and its pretty slow but very reliable and would be just enough room for a kitchen and a bed in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Take your time - act in haste repent at leisure!

Surely for the ROK you can either stay in a hostel or a campsite in Killarney.
    I'm sure either won't set you back much. €20ish i'd imagine.

I concur, the min size I'd consider is a VW Transporter. Even at that it'll be full by the time you put the bare min. of kit in it. Not being able to stand up is a real head wrecker.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I did see a berlingo size van with a pop top the other week on a site! And of course there's the romahomes.

There's also those tents that go on a roof rack - can't think their name or have a clue about the price but I've seen a few in use. They're like a pop top, only attached to roof bars and outside access rather than accessed internally. They seem to be popular for defenders, but I've seen them on an ordinary salon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

http://www.donedeal.ie/campers-for-sale/1991-vw-transporter-1-9-camper/5259140

What about this, it's priced right and you can always sell it on again. You could use as a daily driver too. If you convet a small van badly then it's neitehr a van or camper and will be hard to sell on. When you take into account buying it, converting it and VRT you'd be hard pressed to do better.

• Advertisement

http://www.donedeal.ie/campers-for-sale/1991-vw-transporter-1-9-camper/5259140

What about this, it's priced right and you can always sell it on again. You could use as a daily driver too. If you convet a small van badly then it's neitehr a van or camper and will be hard to sell on. When you take into account buying it, converting it and VRT you'd be hard pressed to do better.

I would have bought that myself as a second vehicle a couple of years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

Thanks for the replies guys, Ok from what ye have told me I am swaying towards a renault trafic?

I would love that camper in that donedeal link, very reasonable price too

6 speed gearbox in the renaults are soft make sure to give it a good test drive going through all the gears repeatedly if you do buy one I'd replace the oil there is a special gl4+ oil its about 80 euro from renault.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Hateart

Never had a Renault that the gearbox did not fall apart sooner or later, bought brand new traffic in 2006 one week later the box fell apart, got it replaced same thing again, Renault know this as does the trade, so the vans have no value.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Comrade Zed

I was looking at getting a Renault Traffic a few years ago, but was put off by bad reviews.
    I ended up buying a VW Eurovan - interior by Winnebago. The pop top is a must. I couldn't handle being bent over whilst cooking or doing the washing up. I also like that the front seats are pilot seats which makes it a more social place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭airhead_eire

Don't be put off by not being able to stand up in a van.
    I'm on my second VW and it's never been a problem. Sure, a pop top is nice
    but it wouldn't be a deal breaker.
    I can cook sitting down and also clean up. Besides, you'll spend a lot of your
    time sitting outside. If it's fine, I'd rather cook outdoors too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Even with a coach built, we do the vast majority of cooking outside (we are always on sites though).

If you have a T4 or T5 with a tail gate (rather than doors) you've an inbuilt rain shelter!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭irishtear

Hi, I have a teardrop aluminium trailer for sale .double bed ,galley at the rear, full elec,water,cd player.Great for a small car to pull. 0877800134

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

This might suit you.
    The price of these in the uk is crazy

http://www.donedeal.ie/campers-for-sale/citron-camper/5480935

Advertisement