Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unity or Unreal?

• 26-06-2013 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

I've not got a lot of experience with either so I just said I'd see if anyone else has opinions?

I've a developer at the moment working with C# and I'm looking at using one of these engines to give life to an idea or two myself and a friend have.

If anyone has any reasons for one over the other or knows of any pitfalls around either it would be good to hear.

We are looking at making a first person, run and gun style game as our first project and then maybe something completely different after that, it really depends on how far we get with this idea.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Unity, hands down.

While UDK is still extremely powerful, it is based around using UnrealScript, a facet of the underlying Unreal Engine that is being removed from UE4. In light of that, if I was going to concentrate on an engine for both current and future use, it'd be Unity.

Plus there's all of the inherent benefits to Unity anyway. Great toolset, community, pricing structure and support across multiple platforms, including mobile, desktop and now console in the form of the PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭AirDemon

I think that wraps that up. Thanks gizmo, that's about as clear and straight forward an answer as I could have hoped for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭Kilgore__Trout

I was wondering just the same thing a while back.

I've been using Unity for around 8 months, and my experiences of it are highly positive. For a start, it's free (Pro is over 1k for a license - you need this if your gross is over $60,000). The free versions allows you to build for PC/Mac/Linux (and I think android and ios now). The editor lets you create, drag, drop, and configure objects which will save you an enormous amount of time. There's also lots of tutorial projects and the community is large and helpful.

If you are coming from something like XNA or Java with libraries, it might take you a few weeks to get used to the editor, but it will be worth it.

All I know about Unreal is info I've picked up. No first-hand use so all of it may not be 100% accurate. It seems pretty dominant among the big studios that don't have an in-house engine. My understanding is that it is faster and high quality visuals can be more easily achieved, but unless things have changed, the licensing is expensive. There's also the UDK, which is priced within the indie's budget. 99 for the engine + a % of revenue over a certain amount. My understanding is that this is a watered down Unreal, which is primarily meant for building shooters on.

Advertisement