Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

File note

Options
  • 26-06-2013 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

Hi, I need some advise please.
    I am on a temporary contract which one got extendet yesterday for 7 month as the market is not so well. I am fine with that but after that, in the same meeting I got a "File Note" as I had in 13 month 8 sick days and a few times late ( I was only 2 times later than 5 min) but I didnt see a report or anything. As well as there was in, that I left 5 times earlier which is true but it was approved by my Manager ( which one is on "leave" since last Friday and nobody knows whats going on) an HR at the time. So I went to HR and told them that it was approved by my manager but nothing happend, so I went today again and as I found the emails from my Manager and HR. I told them and this afternoon I got a mail that it will be taken out.
    I always reworked the time I was late or left earlier and I do a good bit of overtime but this wasn't mentioned at all.
    They main thing for me is now, what excactly is a "File note" ?
    I had to sign it, so for me it looks like a written warning but they told me its just to go in my file.
    I never had a meeting about this before, only about the sick days but that was with the manager and he said its fine as I was only sick once this year.
    And during the winter it is hard not to get sick as we don't have a propper heating in the office and no insulation at all.
    A co-worker got a File note as well two weeks ago but because of a different reason.
    He got told as well that its not a written warning but he doesn`t belive it either.
    Can someone give some advise on this?

Thank you very much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

I would say that the 'file note' is a note on file of these issues, and you have been advised of the fact they have not gone unnoticed. This is probably a result of the companies own disciplinary procedure, which might have an extra step of the 'file note' prior to an official warning. Should any of the behaviours continue, I would imagine that you will get an official warning.

Being sick for 8 days in one year is quite a lot - it is almost 2 weeks. I understand that it was only one period of absence, but it is still quite a lot for a contract worker on a short contract. If I were your manager the lateness along with this would have me having initially an informal meeting with you about it and if it continued a formal warning.

Also, although your manager approved you leaving early, again it seems to be fairly regular, which might have HR concerned.

If I were you I would take this as an 'unofficial' warning and do your best not to be late, leave early or be off sick unless really necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Siipina

I understand 8 days in 13 month is much but on the other hand we are working in an office without heating during the winter. If you freeze everyday its kind of normal getting sick and my co-workers were sick as well.
    I left early to go to the bank or something like that and it was well in advance, as well as other co-workers do the same. Of cause the time was always reworked and it was always a kind of normal thing as we do our regular overtime as well.
    So I find it a bit unfair, I had meetings with my old manager and its wasnt mentioned and if its was ok cause I do as well a good bit of overtime. Now I have a new manager and all over sudden I get the blame for something wich was fine before. I don`t mind if its changed now but I think they should let us know and from then on the new rules apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

I doubt its a case of the rules changing, more a case that your old manager was more flexible and prepared to bend the rules. Clearly the new manager is choosing - at least initially - not to manage in that way. And that is their prerogative. You need to accept you have a new manager now who prioritises things such as time keeping and absences. They are also probably making sure you know where they stand on these issues. You can't really do very much other than accept the new way of managing and act as your manager requests.

Advertisement