Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Food Allergy / Intolerance Test in Cork City

• 26-06-2013 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi everyone,
    I've been feeling very unwell lately, especially after eating which makes me think I have an allergy or intolerance. I need to get it checked as it really influences work and social life. I don't really have the time to go far to get it checked and I can't spend much money either.
    Does anyone know anything about clinics or doctors who do the allergy testing in or around Cork City??
    Thanks! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭ninjabox

I've had this problem and I can tell you the best approach is an elimination diet. For example the test for gluten doesn't really work because there are lots of different proteins that you can have an intolerance for but the test only checks for one!! You can read about this here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/chris-kresser/gluten-intolerance_b_2964812.html

Also here is a quote from Rosanna Davidsons (she really does know her stuff) blog about how to approach an elimination diet:
    Try eliminating the food completely for 11 days. On the 12th day, eat as much as you want of that particular food, and then monitor your symptoms on the following 2 to 3 days. If the bloating and other discomfort reappears, then you may be best to avoid that food item entirely.

I've used an elimination diet and I've found out that gluten makes me lethargic and onions and garlic give me acid reflux.

Also if your tired it could be your eating too much sugar or you have a gluten intolerance. If your overeating sugar it might be because you have an addiction to it (sugar releases dopamine in your brain and so is addictive just like a drug). The best approach would be to cut out sugar altogether, try a 21-day sugar detox, you will definitely have more energy (its very hard though so don't give up if you fail a few times). Also if you want to try this you will have to cut out refined carbohydrates like white bread and pasta.

Also a paleo/primal diet works well for people with intolerances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

ninjabox wrote: »
    I've had this problem and I can tell you the best approach is an elimination diet. For example the test for gluten doesn't really work because there are lots of different proteins that you can have an intolerance for but the test only checks for one!! You can read about this here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/chris-kresser/gluten-intolerance_b_2964812.html

Also here is a quote from Rosanna Davidsons (she really does know her stuff) blog about how to approach an elimination diet:

I've used an elimination diet and I've found out that gluten makes me lethargic and onions and garlic give me acid reflux.

Also if your tired it could be your eating too much sugar or you have a gluten intolerance. If your overeating sugar it might be because you have an addiction to it (sugar releases dopamine in your brain and so is addictive just like a drug). The best approach would be to cut out sugar altogether, try a 21-day sugar detox, you will definitely have more energy (its very hard though so don't give up if you fail a few times). Also if you want to try this you will have to cut out refined carbohydrates like white bread and pasta.

Considering there may be quiet a number of types of food you want to test your body for, is there not an easier way? I thought there were places around Cork that you could get allergy tests done?

Been looking into it myself lately.....

Any suggestion as to where?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Ive a day off today folks and would love to get this done as its affecting my diet, im staying away from eggs and nuts until I know which ones arw causing problems for me!

Anywhere recommended around Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭livemusic4life

ninjabox wrote: »

This is excellent information. Thank you so much. I'm going to give this a try and let you know how i get on.

Advertisement