Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I had liver for the first time and it was DELISH!

Options
  • 26-06-2013 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

I had lambs liver with beetroot, caramelised onions and mash in an Italian on St Stephen's Green.

Wow, I never knew liver could taste so good!

For a small portion it was expensive enough..very tasty though!

So I had a look in Tesco and it's so CHEAP! €5 is more than enough for 4/5 meals!

I'm going to have a go at making it myself.

Any hints, tips much appreciated! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

I love liver, with some mash, fried onions, mushrooms and a load of gravy. Best. dinner. ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

top tip DONT OVERCOOK IT

Trim the liver ( get those white tubes out ), I then soak it in milk for no reason other than my mother did that .

Thin slices , coat in flour

Flash fry , and I mean flash fry

and enjoy !!!!!!!!!!

Highly underrated

Chicken livers are great in a pate , and almost given away by the butchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

I think the milk is meant to remove some of the impurities in the liver, so discard it after soaking.
    Season with salt and pepper (no flour needed) and like the man said, flash fry it.

F.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Miseryguts

It's tasty fried then put on a slice of white bread and salt.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I don't eat liver but my mother does and she cooks it the old-fashioned way. She cooks a rasher or two with onions in the pan first, takes them out and then adds the liver and fries it quickly. At the end she pours some tea into the pan to mix with the juices and pours this over the liver when she serves it with the bacon and onions. She calls it 'liver and bacon dip'.

Edit: I just realised this thread was in Food & Drink so I've moved it into Cooking & Recipes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I absolutely love liver, but need to limit my consumption for medical reasons.

So, twice a year I treat myself to the best liver I have ever had in my life (& coming from generations of butchers, I used to eat it a lot as a kid). If you are ever in Bern, try the Kalbsleberli (calf's liver) in Restaurant Klötzli Keller.

I have no idea how they cook it - but it is like eating fluffy liver paté it is so 'melt-in-the-mouth'. I've brought a few liver fans & they've all sworn that it was the best they have ever had.

For real, real fans of liver - it would be worth a flight over here just to have this dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭DenMan

When we have it we fry it in oil on a pan as it is. Eat with brown sauce on top! Yum! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭domcq

Lightly fried with onions and a dash of light or dark soy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I haven't had lamb's liver for six months [not recommended when you are "with child"]. I miss it more than beer!

Echoing everyone else, flash fry with lots of onions. I've tried out a few liver recipes in the past, using stock etc, but nothing beats the simple old fashioned way. It works great with anything you would normally eat steak with.

Advertisement