Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aaron Hernandez Thread

• 26-06-2013 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Arrested today

Should know exact charges later.

https://twitter.com/massstatepolice
    Aaron Hernandez currently being booked at N. Attleboro Police Station. Will be brought to Attleboro District Ct for arraignment.

We are not releasing the charge against Hernandez until it is presented to the court. Again, he will be arraigned in Attleboro Court today

There is no set time. He will be processed at the police station and then brought to the court.
    Released by the Patriots shortly after.
    The team also issued this statement: “A young man was murdered last week and we extend our sympathies to the family and friends who mourn his loss. Words cannot express the disappointment we feel knowing that one of our players was arrested as a result of this investigation. We realize that law enforcement investigations into this matter are ongoing. We support their efforts and respect the process. At this time, we believe this transaction is simply the right thing to do.”

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Just dealing with the football aspect of this - does the release of Hernandez impact the Pats salary cap?

This -

http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=858671-patriots-salary-cap-ramifications-of-aaron-hernandez-release

suggests $6.5million this year and $8.6million next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

Interesting to contrast Patriots reaction to this event with how the Cowboys handled Josh Brent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

Just dealing with the football aspect of this - does the release of Hernandez impact the Pats salary cap?

This -

http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=858671-patriots-salary-cap-ramifications-of-aaron-hernandez-release

suggests $6.5million this year and $8.6million next year.

I think so, yes. -

"Ross Tucker @RossTuckerNFL
    Aaron Hernandez got a $12.5M signing bonus in August. Likely biggest cap hit for a team ever."

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/06/26/patriots-cut-aaron-hernandez/IUh1OmOynjugv1RLCDR5IO/story.html
    Hernandez has already pocketed approximately $10.15 million from a seven-year, $40 million contract he signed before the 2012 season: $9.25 million in signing bonus money ($6 million up front, and a $3.25 million payment on March 31), $540,000 in base salary from last season and $400,000 in roster and workout bonuses over the last two offseasons. He has another $3.25 million signing bonus payment due on March 31, 2014, but it is unclear at this time whether the Patriots will be able to avoid paying it.

It is also unclear as of now whether the Patriots will be able to recoup some or all of the signing bonus money already paid to Hernandez, whether they can avoid paying him $2.5 million in guaranteed base salary due in 2013 and 2014 and if they can get salary cap relief in the future.

Hernandez will still count $4.073 million against the salary cap in 2013, and could cost as much as $9 million against the cap in 2014.

Don't think anybody really knows yet.

• Advertisement

McG wrote: »
    Interesting to contrast Patriots reaction to this event with how the Cowboys handled Josh Brent.
    The Pats deserve credit for action in such a prompt and decisive manner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

The Rookie Symposium is also on today. Couldn't of asked for a more appropriate day to have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Masked Man wrote: »
    Don't think anybody really knows yet.

If found guilty and sentenced to jail Hernandez would owe the Pats a portion of his signing fee. it was a similar situation to when Mike Vick was arrested and jailed. He owed the Falcons money for signing bonuses....however with the Pats having released Hernandez it might make the situation different for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

McG wrote: »

When you contrast how different the two cases are then constrasting the re-actions isn't really that interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

It's a sad day to see Hernandez throw away a wondeful opportunity in life. He could have had an amazing career but he has runied that now. We don't know what he's been charged with yet, but that's not important. Because his behaviour in the days after the murder of Mr. Llyod, cast a very dark cloud of suspicion over him. As a Patriots fan and an NFL fan, I cannot accept or tolerate someone like Hernandez playing in a Pats jersey or in any jersey for that matter. Hopefully the full truth will emerge now and the victims family can get justice and some clousure for their sad loss.

I was pretty amazed to see the Pats act so quickly and decisively over Hernandez. I never expected it to be honest. But despite the sadness I feel for seeing a young lad ruin his life and career. I am very proud of the Patriots organsisation for doing what they did, acting so quickly and the clear message it sends out.

• Advertisement

Keno 92 wrote: »
    The Rookie Symposium is also on today. Couldn't of asked for a more appropriate day to have it.

Let Hernadez now become the poster boy for ruined careers if need be. And if it can wake some young rookies up and keep them on the right tracks, then so be it.

Seems to be a murder charge. Unlikely to be given bail according to fox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,343 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Sounds like he will be charged with murder according to the Fox 25 crime expert guy. He's going to jail straight after, no bail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Wow, this is so crazy.

I'm going to take the no bail thing with a pinch of salt. As the guy said it could just be that they're preparing for him going to prison/jail if he's refused bail.

Schefter's twitter:
    By releasing Aaron Hernandez today, Patriots have waived all rights to recoup bonus money or salary through the CBA.

Aaron Hernandez's new salary-cap charge in 2013 is $5.092 million, an increase of $1.019 million.

Aaron Hernandez's 2014 salary-cap charge will be $7.5 million, which is remaining pro-ration of his signing bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

I'm going to take the no bail thing with a pinch of salt. As the guy said it could just be that they're preparing for him going to prison/jail if he's refused bail.

Schefter's twitter:
    By releasing Aaron Hernandez today, Patriots have waived all rights to recoup bonus money or salary through the CBA.

Aaron Hernandez's new salary-cap charge in 2013 is $5.092 million, an increase of $1.019 million.

Aaron Hernandez's 2014 salary-cap charge will be $7.5 million, which is remaining pro-ration of his signing bonus.

The Patriots could have done what the Falcons did with Vick. Kept him on the roster and as soon as he was convicted, you get your singing money back. Looks like by cutting him the Patriots will find it very hard to get their money back.

I'm proud of the Patriots for doing the right thing, even tho they are massively handicapping themselves with carrying Hernandez's salary for the next two seasons.

You'd think if the NFL was serious about its image, it would allow teams to do the right thing like the Patriots did and given them an exception on the cap hits for a criminal. Obviously they don't get the money back off Hernandez but at least they wouldn't be at a disadvantage on the field.

The Falcons had to carry Vick on their team which they obviously didnt want to do. I can only imagine that's why the Cowboys still have Josh Brent on their team and worse on their sideline.

Court appearance will be at 19.00 Irish time, so we will get the full charges then.

Hazys wrote: »
    I can only imagine that's why the Cowboys still have Josh Brent on their team and worse on their sideline.

I doubt recouping a 7th round picks signing bonus is the reason the cowboys have stood by him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭vetinari

Eh Hazys, what about innocent till proven guilty?
    I think it's right that you don't get money back till the guy is convicted.

In this case, it seems fairly clear that he's guilty of something but the court process should happen first.

vetinari wrote: »
    Eh Hazys, what about innocent till proven guilty?
    I think it's right that you don't get money back till the guy is convicted.

In this case, it seems fairly clear that he's guilty of something but the court process should happen first.

True, what i meant is if in the next year (or before the season starts) if Hernandez is found guilty and sentenced, that the NFL should give the Pats back the cap hit. Probably a legal minefield tho.

• Advertisement

Hazys wrote: »
    You'd think if the NFL was serious about its image, it would allow teams to do the right thing like the Patriots did and given them an exception on the cap hits for a criminal. Obviously they don't get the money back off Hernandez but at least they wouldn't be at a disadvantage on the field.
    You have to remember that at the end of the day the NFL is a business and a very lucrative one. If the NFL adopted the position that you are arguing then I wouldn't be surprised to see some cap gurus taking advantage of it in some way or another (e.g. a player that a team would like to cut gets conviced of DUI or something similar - the team cuts him under the 'criminal' rule and doesn't suffer the cap hit).

Hernandez is on the way to court.
    You have to remember that at the end of the day the NFL is a business and a very lucrative one. If the NFL adopted the position that you are arguing then I wouldn't be surprised to see some cap gurus taking advantage of it in some way or another (e.g. a player that a team would like to cut gets conviced of DUI or something similar - the team cuts him under the 'criminal' rule and doesn't suffer the cap hit).

It is possible to grant a one off cap relief to the pats without introducing a rule like that.

It is possible to grant a one off cap relief to the pats without introducing a rule like that.

Why should the Pats be given a one-off exemption?:confused:

Why should the Pats be given a one-off exemption?:confused:

I'm not saying they should. I just mean that if the nfl decide to give cap relief to the pats, they can do so without setting a precedent which they're then bound by in future cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Can he be claimed off waivers and what is the process if he is?

I'm not saying they should. I just mean that if the nfl decide to give cap relief to the pats, they can do so without setting a precedent which they're then bound by in future cases.

But by giving the Pats a cap relief they would have set a precedent.

They wouldn't be bound by it and I'd imagine would be highly unlikely to follow it where a player who was convicted of a DUI was cut, as in JRG's example.

Stev_o wrote: »
    Can he be claimed off waivers and what is the process if he is?

Ian Rapoport said he has to go through waivers and we should know tomorrow if somebody claimed him.

• Advertisement

What I have witnessed in the last 7 days, is pretty much unprecedented in my 31 years following the NFL.

But regardless, the Pats based their decison on principle, not money. And so they'll take the pain.

Advertisement