Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aaron Hernandez Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Is it a slam dunk case ? Or has he a chance of pulling an oj ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

From what I've read, it's pretty slam dunk.

However, having been on a jury for a case that got some media attention not to long ago, I've learned that aspects of a case that suggests the defendant is innocent are rarely reported on.

The media stories of the case I was on looked like a slam dunk. But it was anything but. The judge threw the charge out after a week as the prosecutions case was so poor in reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

SameOleJay wrote: »
    So apparently he was a chain smoker of the green. Never tested positive of course. I found that interesting.

It's interesting. But I don't think for a moment it's true. With the level of draw he was supposed to be taking, he simply couldn't have functioned.

Either that, or he needed to find him a new dealer! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,896 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It's never a slam dunk when you don't have the murder weapon. One of the huge parts to this case is whether the jury buy the expert testimony that he was in possession of a Glock like the one used in the murder. If they don't accept that then its very hard to prove he did it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

eagle eye wrote: »
    It's never a slam dunk when you don't have the murder weapon. One of the huge parts to this case is whether the jury buy the expert testimony that he was in possession of a Glock like the one used in the murder. If they don't accept that then its very hard to prove he did it.

You're obviously blissfully unaware of Uncle Sam's conviction rate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Is it a slam dunk case ? Or has he a chance of pulling an oj ?
    He might not get convicted of 1st degree murder, but he's not going to pull an OJ.
    From what I've heard, the defense won't be denying that he wasn't there during the murder, just that he didn't pull the trigger; that still makes him an accessory.
    The weapon charges alone means that he will be going to jail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

From what I've heard the murder case is far from a slam dunk and so far the prosecution's case has been sloppy. Also Hernandez has a ton of money so he has good lawyers and in the US justice system that can buy you your freedom.

But if they don't get him on the murder charges, they'll surely get him on the gun possession charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,896 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

glued wrote: »
    You're obviously blissfully unaware of Uncle Sam's conviction rate.
    Lol, I'm well aware of their poor conviction rate where people can afford big lawyers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

I think his team will do enough to avoid Murder 1.

Right now the Evidence they have against him are:

Texts between him and Odin Lloyd
    Surveillance photos showing him pick up Lloyd and coming hom without Lloyd and a black object in his hand
    They have him at a gas station earlier in the night buying gum and dancing
    Similar gum was found at the scene as was a unique shoe print owned by Hernandez
    They found shell casings at the scene and 1 in the rental car. Apparently Hernandez DNA was on a shell casing.
    They have his GF testimony that she carried out bags of stuff but she had no idea what was in them. They speculated.
    From what I can make out no clear motive was ever established.

I am sure there is more I am missing but I have a feeling he is going to get a lesser sentence. Maybe a long the lines of Accessory and gun charges for the illegal firearms they found in his home. They can clearly put him at the scene but they can't prove he killed Lloyd.

He might not get convicted of 1st degree murder, but he's not going to pull an OJ.
    From what I've heard, the defense won't be denying that he wasn't there during the murder, just that he didn't pull the trigger; that still makes him an accessory.
    The weapon charges alone means that he will be going to jail.

How much time is he looking at if convicted of accessory and the weapons charges ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

How much time is he looking at if convicted of accessory and the weapons charges ?
    I'm not sure on the the possession charges; haven't heard a defined length of time, it's varied from months to years.
    But the accessory charge (because he was a participant in the crime) could be the same as the murder charge, i.e. life in jail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

According to Massachusetts General Law, Hernandez is facing a maximum of...

- 10 years for each of two counts of carrying a large capacity firearm.

- 5 years for one count of carrying a firearm without a license.

- 2 years each for charges of possession of a firearm and ammunition without a Firearm Identification Card.

So when you add that up, on the gun charges alone, he's facing a possible maximum sentencing of 29 years in jail on the guns & ammo charges.

Stateside, they are more likely to give you consecutive sentences - each offense is treated as a separate crime. You serve time for each offense separately, starting with the most severe crime. Once time has been served on that, you then serve your time for the next crime ect.

Unlike here in Ireland, where our soft touch judges like to give concurrent sentences (time served for each offense is bunched together). Which is why we often see scumbags going to court with 40 charges and coming out with 3-4 years in jail if we're lucky.

Note: There is no death penalty in in Massachusetts so a sentence for First Degree murder is life without parole. So in that sense the gun sentences will be irrelevant, since he'll never see the light of day again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,215 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Found Guilty on all charges. Mandatory life sentence, no parole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,394 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Found Guilty on all charges. Mandatory life sentence, no parole.

Fair enough. Thought he'd only get done for the accessory charges but throw away the key tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Thus ends one of the weirdest stories ever witnessed in sport.

Thus ends one of the weirdest stories ever witnessed in sport.

Not that weird at all, pretty common place unfortunately.

Only in the past 10 days, we've had Darren Sharper convicted of being a serial rapist, Hernandez convicted of murder and Lawrence Phillips accused of murdering his cell mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Hazys wrote: »

Only in the past 10 days, we've had Darren Sharper convicted of being a serial rapist, Hernandez convicted of murder and Lawrence Phillips accused of murdering his cell mate.

Just reading the outcome of that and this part stands out "and will be forced to take "penile plethysmograph" tests in Arizona, during which a sensor will be attached to his penis to gauge his arousal level as sexual images are shown to him" dafug?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

We have very different definitions of "pretty common"...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

This story is certainly not 'pretty common'.

The post i was replying to said it was the strangest sport story of all time. It is clear not extremely unusual in sports for athletes to be involved in major crimes, there were 2 other similar incidents to Hernandez in the past week alone.

I think people are splitting hairs their definition of "pretty common" versus mine. I guess these incidents happen to sports figures once a year on average which would be pretty common to me.

• Advertisement

He will spend the rest of his life in Mci Norfolk which is less than 5 miles from Gillette stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,901 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

He will spend the rest of his life in Mci Norfolk which is less than 5 miles from Gillette stadium.

Once the home of Malcolm x.

Google'd Mci Norfolk: http://www.mass.gov/eopss/law-enforce-and-cj/prisons/doc-facilities/mci-norfolk.html

First thing in bold about the prison:
    The Massachusetts Department of Correction has zero tolerance toward all forms of sexual abuse and sexual harassment and is committed to preventing, detecting, and responding to such conduct. The Department shall embrace the standards set forth by the National Prison Rape Elimination Commission and the American Correction Association for all state correctional jurisdictions.

Going from NFL Millionaire Superstar to spending the rest of your life locked in a place where male rape is rampant in 2 years...what a fcuking idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

The Phillips case tends to slip under a lot of peoples radar, or is just not that well known. But he was one twisted fúck. Good to see scumbag getting justice today and hopefully it will be a lesson to young players coming into the league, to break ties with any shady hangers on from their youth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Of course, but just the fact we're talking about a player - probably top 3 in his position at the time and making millions in a massive sport - killing off an associate and possibly implicated in further murders.

At most scandal tends to happen on their rise to stardom or after their done in Sharper's case. 1st class murder isn't exactly common place among multi-millionaire sports stars is what I'm saying.

Of course, but just the fact we're talking about a player - probably top 3 in his position at the time and making millions in a massive sport - killing off an associate and possibly implicated in further murders.

At most scandal tends to happen on their rise to stardom or after their done in Sharper's case. 1st class murder isn't exactly common place among multi-millionaire sports stars is what I'm saying.

I guess it comes down to personal opinion but for me, I'm not shocked an NFL player has murdered somebody or involved in very serious crimes.

I knew about OJ Simpson before I knew about the NFL and since OJ there has been (talking about just murder charges exclusively), Rae Carruth, Ray Lewis, Pacman Jones, Jovan Belcher, josh Brent, Barret Robbins, Lawrence Phillips, etc. and we are only talking about the NFL not all sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,299 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

As if he things Weren't bad enough for Hernandez he has been found guilty of witness intimidation.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Ex Titans lb Ryan mouton ain't the smartest

mouton_nod15t.jpg

Ex Titans lb Ryan mouton ain't the smartest

mouton_nod15t.jpg

That's hilarious tbh

• Advertisement

Hernandez seems to be right at home in prision: http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/19/us/aaron-hernandez-fight/
    Hernandez agreed to be on the lookout for one inmate who went into another prisoner's cell. The two inmates fought, with the source telling CNN the altercation was believed to be gang-related.

Absolute lunatic

Advertisement